education/training of NPC's

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign
Re: education/training of NPC's

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:The NPCs we're talking about almost certainly are not Testificates. Those are hideous and should be shot on sight. Our NPCs will at least look like people.
Well, I just assumed that (when they got around to it) they would basically do what "minecraft comes alive" did and just remodel the Testes rather than going through all the bother of making a whole new NPC... I think they would work fine as just a useless starter population. But once you give them equipment, they start moving around with purpose and doing beneficial things for you/your faction.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 am

Laserbilly wrote:just remodel the Testes
No thanks
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 am

I think we should keep testificates. Those peaceful, harmless NPC's, turned evil.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Keon wrote:I think we should keep testificates. Those peaceful, harmless NPC's, turned evil.
Raider Testes? Only if they ride on the backs of beetles.

I think Laser's idea of keeping NCP multiplication basically the same is a good one, but you shouldn't be able to farm soldiers with a few wooden doors and some dirt blocks. Maybe there could be some system of identifying actual buildings could be implemented. Something like my buildings and cities idea would work, if anyone remembers it. Basically buildings would work similarly to shipbuilding. You would lay down a "Construction" block and design the structure in a virtual area, then the block would construct it. There would be templates for the non-architects. One of the building categories could be house or apartment and NCPs would multiply according to the amount of available housing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I tried to train cleverbot, well...

[Me]Cleverbot, Sit!
[Cleverbot]Your face.
Spoiler:

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm

NPCs are built solely to fight. They do not need rooms, they need cloning pods.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:19 pm

NPCs are citizens, they improve the feel and ambiance of the game. You'd need them for construction workers, shop owners, freighter pilots, raiders, crew fillers, defensive system operators, maintenance workers, etc. They will play many roles.
Last edited by cats on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:12 am

im againt training npcs but i do support them getting experience by doing their job

you can personnaly make a situation in which the npcs ai would think its in a fight so it would gain xp
but no academics / bootcamps

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 am

The idea of training wouldn't mean gaining effectiveness necessarily. It would cause the NPCs to be able to be specialized. An NPC that enrolls in the Academy would be able to pilot a ship or an assault mech or order ground troops. One that goes to a camp might be able to use weapons and some armors. Skill would require something being done for a longer time, usually from experience. Differentiating between skill and training/specialization would prevent high-level NPC farming.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:36 am

catsonmeth wrote:The idea of training wouldn't mean gaining effectiveness necessarily. It would cause the NPCs to be able to be specialized. An NPC that enrolls in the Academy would be able to pilot a ship or an assault mech or order ground troops. One that goes to a camp might be able to use weapons and some armors. Skill would require something being done for a longer time, usually from experience. Differentiating between skill and training/specialization would prevent high-level NPC farming.
Also university for scientists.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I like the idea they get EXP by the job. Keep NPC humans and make sure they get human conditions. If they are just clones people won't give a s*** about them throwing them out like garbage which ruins the immersion and fun (Have a look at FTL and how you care about your crew there).
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Argonian
IGN:TinkerPox

Post by TinkerPox » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Bootcamps and Academics could help, make them good, but xp from fighting would make them better in combat

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Academics would introduce them to a skillset and increase specialization, actual XP would be gained from experience.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Maybe an academy booth made of 9 academy blocks that spawns NPCs when you put money in and request an NPC. As of the original plans, NPCs were gonna be ship fillers, and operate turrets. That is all.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Maybe an academy booth made of 9 academy blocks that spawns NPCs when you put money in and request an NPC. As of the original plans, NPCs were gonna be ship fillers, and operate turrets. That is all.
Nah, that's too forced. Enrollment could be controlled by how many of what caste is present in the school. There would be a large amount of infantry, a smaller amount of crew, just a few officers and fewer captains. Production of NCPs could be controlled by amount of available housing.
— David Langford
Spoiler: