Gravity

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
superninjakiwi
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Kiwi Republic
IGN:Superninjakiwi
Gravity

Post by superninjakiwi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

I know that it has likely been discussed already, but I really think that this is useful: [url]http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1402701-125-gravitycraft-mineup-11-%C2%A0higher-worlds-planets-rotated-gravity-more-world-generation/[/url]

Of course, this is not released for 1.3/1.4, but I'm sure that with some cajoling it would be easy enough to convince him to let you use some of the gravity part of his code.(Which he IS working on for 1.4+, he just has other priorities and it is a huge mod.) I personally want to make a ship with simple gravity dampeners, not actual modifiers, so my ship will act as a large tower when being propelled. When not propelled, (Or not at max speed, aka battle speed)it will turn on the gravity modifiers and create gravity, but since it does not have to cancel out the gravity nearly as much, the power cost reduction would be significant. Thoughts?

Luna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Gravity

Post by Luna » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Kiwi, Welcome back
"The Sky is the Limit"
Commander Error wrote:"Titan" - Moves slightly quicker than a glacier, on a good day.
Prototype wrote:F-14s are just gay Tornados.
Catsonmeth wrote:Which meant every two weeks, Tuesday night was reserved for mainlining coffee and getting sensual with a keyboard

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:05 pm

It's kiwi? I've been reading it as superninjawiki this whole time...

Anyway, I had the opportunity to look at the source code for that project, back when Mine-Up and Gravitycraft were being made by two different people. It mostly consists of renderer hacks and tweaks to entity physics. Unfortunately, there's not a lot there we can make use of for Futurecraft. Those parts of the engine are simply too different now.

superninjakiwi
Cadet
Cadet

Post by superninjakiwi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes. It has always been kiwi. Kiwi birds are awesome. Wiki is not. Anyways,I've been stalking and posting here and there, but i haven't posted a topic till now. I might even open my ship bay again eventually, since my building skill has improved greatly. i still build block by block though, so no large ships.

BOT: yeah, i understand that it doesn't really work that well (at all) with multiplayer, but that's why he is doing a re-write.(In fact, he already did a re-write just so that the two mods would work together. they are inseparable now.) Then again, that's part of the reason it's taking so long to finish, other than the fact that he is working on a different mod as well. The mod back then is definitely close to useless, but the mod when it's done might be useful. Just wanted to keep this in mind when you start writing the gravity engine.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:31 pm

The biggest issue by far we are going to have with gravity is indicating the curve of the planet. I don't know how much you've been around for, but we are going to go with cube planets now instead of spheres, for a number of technical reasons. At the edge, the rules for which direction is considered down gets kind of complicated, and conveying this to the player, even more so.

I haven't been keeping tabs on the project, so Ivorius may have come up with a solution. Last I saw, it was just an abrupt transition, which won't work for us if our planets aren't perfectly cuboid at the edges.

superninjakiwi
Cadet
Cadet

Post by superninjakiwi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 am

Gravity cores actually work much in the way you want you planets to, on a smaller scale.

and yes, i was around for that part. i was speaking mostly for the ships part, but the planet's gravity is just as important now that i think of it.