Outside appearence

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Outside appearence

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 pm

I think as noone actually has any idea on how long it will take until fr0st finishes copernicus and the devs get into the process of creating content in a serious fashion, it is as good a time as any to discuss how we want Fc to appear to the rest of the MC-community.

First, I want to show an example of what our actual reputation is out there: [url]http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/a-mod-with-a-great-future-futurecraft/[/url]
I think, we should change our outside appearence now, as our MCforums page leaves too many questions unanswered and makes people think of the mod in a way it´s not going to be.
The above planet minecraft post is the best evidence.

The post is two months old, but I think we should put a notice that the real info is at the forums to prevent people who think "lol I run away from the griefers with my spaaaaaceship and they can´t folow me cause they don´t have their own lol" to spread that. That post looks like a "you hop into one of these lousy models known from various space mods already out there, fly it up high enough and then you get to take your stuff to another server"-kind of thing to me...

Oh, and someone made the attempt to make a FC-wiki on his own. [url]http://mc-futurecraft.wikia.com/wiki/FutureCraft_Wiki[/url]

Anyway, I think setting up our own wiki and have it display actual information about the mod is a big task, but I guess it´s a way that members without coding, modelling or texturing skills can help with the development of the mod:
By painting the first impression one gets of FC: An organised mod team where stuff gets done. We have a forum. Good. But let´s look at what we don´t have: a blog, an informative, spam-protected (!) wiki and someone noobs can contact when having problems with the mod (a.k.a. someone who answers the questions that get asked despite the answer being easily accessable- that will always happen and just slow down the process of creation if that person is a dev.

I petition a new rank: Web Manager.
Their job is to do exactly that: Someone answers the frequent questions, someone maintains a wiki and someone edits all the devlogs that will hopefully come into a blog.
I know that´s a lot of work, but I´d volunteer as question-answerer, as some new members show with their questions that information is not easily accessable enough for new ones to actually get it.
I don´t even want moderator powers. I just want to help the mod my way: answering the questions of the noobs.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Re: Outside appearence

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 pm

We have a wiki, although it kinda flopped. The problem is that we don't know most of that ourselves yet.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Most everything right now is conjecture based on frost rambles.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

I keep marveling after all this time that there is still so much optimism and, from what I've heard, practically no scepticism, about this project despite all the waiting. It either means that our userbase is hopelessly naive, or that we are doing a good job representing the project. Probably a little of both, actually.

Though a wiki would be nice eventually, I think what we need currently is a regular FAQ. By this point we've likely encountered all the frequent questions we are going to be asked, and what misconceptions people have, so this would be an ideal time to start compiling them.
Tunnelthunder wrote:Most everything right now is conjecture based on frost rambles.
That's a funny way of pronouncing LEADERSHIP.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Yeah, but some answers are really common knowledge. We could put them in a FAQ if someone was to recieve the questions collected.
Also, frost said that everything that´s not directly connected to ship flying mechanics can be coded as like right now.
So, an actual info of what´s on the agenda might be helpful to have the devs know what to do.
Not to mention, if someone collects all the noob-questions, we would actually know what the people want to know.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Our commitment level is fan almost nothing is required of us standard users. It is the mods, devs, and people who pay for and run stuff that have any real commitment.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:It is the mods, devs, and people who pay for and run stuff that have any real commitment.
I don't do anything either.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tunnelthunder wrote:It is the mods, devs, and people who pay for and run stuff that have any real commitment.
I don't do anything either.
That´s why people need information on what actually needs to be done or nothing will happen.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 pm

It'd be a simple matter to add a blog and integrated wiki to the website, if that's part of what you're suggesting.

As far as appearances go, the old OP is hopelessly outdated, there's no clear outline of ideas or gameplay at all as a result, and if I didn't know better I'd declare the project doomed from the start.

--Tiel, your friendly neighborhood pessimist
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:08 am

Well I don't think we have enough solid proof to be able to start advertising FC as a mod, it is more of a project, if that makes any sense.

The Flan pack that myself and a few others are working on has one purpose, to try and raise awareness if FC, and prove that we don't just sit around doing nothing, the pack will be put up on Manus's site, but linked to here, where I will post information about the pack, but also information about FC and something asking for help from anyone who knows how to code/texture/PR it whatever. I might also put a link to the size matters not video on there, just for added effect.

If we can attract some more devs, perhaps bring back some of the old devs, we might be able to make this work.

Also Keon, if you finish that drop pod mod, perhaps we should release it as a standalone mod, put a post on MCF and link it to a thread here.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:09 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I keep marveling after all this time that there is still so much optimism and, from what I've heard, practically no scepticism, about this project despite all the waiting. It either means that our userbase is hopelessly naive, or that we are doing a good job representing the project. Probably a little of both, actually.
We're all to busy with the concept. And the RP. Bread and circuses, fr0st.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 am

I can take on the appearance. The problem is that there is NOTHING to show yet. While Frost is working on the engine we need to begin working on content ASAP. It is independent from frost's work and can be showcased. Without imagery and videos it will be hard to convey our message in an interesting way that will attract attention. In addition we might use some unified lore because the mining stuff mac wrote in the OP is only good for making people confused.

Finally frost can you link to all of the vids where you showcased engine progress ? Your youtube channel should be good enough...

Let's begin with the lore. It's not there to be just plain written in the OP (although it can be) , it is there to help you decide how the mod looks like, to come to basic gameplay elements through a way you envision the setting of the mod. This will also help us decide what to put in the OP ( are there other races besides terrans for example ? )
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 am

I had hoped to have another video out before now, but I keep mismanaging my schedule and not leaving enough time to finish it. This next week is going to be really busy, but I'll try to leave more time to FC development once that is over.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 am

The video will be helpful. If no one makes the lore I will try to write it AGAIN so you argue with me AGAIN and make my work go down the toilet :[ .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 am

I don't care what you do with the lore as long as you include owls and robots
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: