Armor

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Armor

Post by Keon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Armor needs a fix badly. If you play any other mod, you would know that armor doesn't work as an object right now. Take IC2. Once you have quantum, you don't take damage until you run out of charge, then you take full damage. That's because armor works by blocking damage, not adding HP. I think that armors should work by adding hearts to you.

Say you have a full set of iron armor. That could give you, I don't know, +40 hp. (That's 20 hearts.) Diamond would give more like +100. That way, higher tiers can be made and still allow PvP to work. However, that's not all. We also might want damage reduction, but on a smaller scale. Diamond armor could reduce damage by around 20%. Even the tankiest of armor, really bulky stuff, should only really block 70% of damage. That allows combat to function normally.

So how do we fit upwards of 500 hearts on a page? We don't. You will always have 10 hearts. However, if you had iron armor on, it would take 3 damage to deal half a heart.

tl;dr armor adds HP not Armor.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Armor

Post by hyperlite » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 pm

arrrrr
Spoiler:

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Simple solutions to stuff other mods don't deal with.
tl;dr good.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm

That's sort of like the EVE combat system, too. You have a layer of shields, then armor, then straight hull, and none are damaged until the layer above them is depleted. It worked pretty well because then you could focus on tanking one layer or another depending on your build and tactics.

I think that's a good idea, and could add a layer of strategy to how you equip yourself.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Man this is just Eve the mod.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am

Would armor effect movement speeds based on type? like diamond is as flexible as leather, and running in full iron is the exact same as anything else. Also, you can swim in it.
armour

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:36 am

Tunnel: Right! You mean what armor does now! Those are important points, but we don't need that level of realism

Yes, I think armor should either be removed, marginalized, or fixed in the way Keon suggests.
This is a signature.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:24 am

Keon wrote:Man this is just Eve the mod.
EVE is our version of "Simpsons did it".

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 am

sorry to keep hammering on my idea
but again i have thought about it

and armor could have diffrent possibilities
i thought of keeping the normal inventory screen with the amor slots
exept now you could put clothing [gives no effects just for the rpgish thing]
or a suit a suit would grant you bonnusses such as [again my stats]
temprature reduction
extra health
connecting your body with your armor [coming to that later]

because you would have another tab in your inventory especcialy for armor
here you would find a diffrent kind of armor slots

instead of the usual

you would have a helmet slot
a body slot and two arm slots
two leg slots
and two feet slots

you would have diffrent kinds of armor that you could combine to achieve your goal

your tier 1 armor would be armor with a little damage reduction
your tier 2 armor gives the same amount of reduction but has the possibility to go into space without dieing it would have a oxygen tank that you would have to fill
your tier 3 armor gives a little more reduction and you could go into space but there is also temprature balancer and you could mount automatic weapons unto your arms giving a max of 3 weapons

tier 4 is armor that has specialities these owuld be incedible expensive but they are basic tier 3 where you have added diffrent things such as healing automatic armor repair[ for this you would need to have spare parts in your inventory] extreme temprature balance
liqyuid filler

and because every part is seperate you could have tier 1 boots with a tier 3 and a tier 2 legs

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 am

Clothing is an unnecessary complication, but we might want to do custom colors on armor, like the dye system in some games.
Suit bonuses - reasonable
Temperature reduction - not sure exactly what this means. Do you mean fire proof?
Extra health - we are probably going to treat armor as a separate layer of HP rather than having a general pool.

Let's avoid straight damage reduction. That's not very interesting.
Oxygen reserves should be fine so long as the interface doesn't get in the way of gameplay. By which I mean not having a bunch of tedious steps in refilling your tanks.
Let's also avoid going overboard on space suit features. We don't want to create fancy iron man suits; we have powersuits/mechs filling that role.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:18 am

temprature reduction is what im pointing at in my stats and stuff that your body would have a favorite temprature and that the overall temprature could be affected by all kinds of things

as i am saying in the other topic about society
clothing should be implemented because this way even people without futureish skins could look like future citycens

and the future suits are just an idea if you dont like it fine
but with my stats it would be handy because your suit would make all kinds of regulations

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 pm

I have a few ideas on clothing, armor, and temperature not too long ago.

[url=http://futurecraftforums.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=292]Temp. and hydration[/url]

[url=http://futurecraftforums.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65]inventory[/url] <This is old, but has some relevancy.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:36 pm

I don't think we should do anything with temp. If anyone asks, just say you have implants that allow for wider ranges of temp exposure. Space suits, and only space suits, should have an O2 meter, but your average combat suit should not. Having different temps and deciding what temp goes where would be such a gross misallocation of resources that we might as well be telling the pertinent coder to completely wait for fr0st. We do not need temperature. We do not need 30 different types of Eco suits for each hostile environment. We need two; in atmosphere and out of atmosphere. If you want to stretch it, we could have some top level hard suits that can go into vacuum for moderate durations. But having a tundra suit and an asteroid suit and a methane suit would so heavily confuse the player that they would just nuke the target from orbit. "Do I use a methane suit or a tundra suit for this frozen methane planet?!? Screw it, forget capturing, fire all nukes!". The game should be streamlined and simple. If the planet has an atmosphere you can breathe, use an in atmosphere suit. If you can't breathe it/space, out of atmo suit. Clothing is also not necessary. Most people in any risk zone will wear armor anyways, and there are no civilians, so the only people who will wear clothes are the NPCs, and having more than just a skin for them is a slight waste. Point is, suits don't need to have complex rules and regulations. 2.5 suit types, an then you have a modicum of a streamlined armor system.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:05 am

There are more than two armor types in vanilla, Ach. If we add temperature, there would be different types of clothing that offer the perks of normal fabric clothing (extra inv. space, non-clunkiness, doesn't cause the accidental death of everything) and protect you from the heat/cold. Most atmo/environmental suits and vacuum-proof hardsuits (including armor) would cover heat, cold, atmosphere toxicity, and lack of air. The atmosphere meter would measure the breathability of the air around you, not the air in your suit, there should be something on the GUI for that.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:41 am

sorry if you read stats and stuff you would see most people have accepted temprature and hydratation in the form i suggested

i have posted things about armor too