Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42
Re: mech

Post by blockman42 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 am

catsonmeth wrote:Splitting the survival players up into PVP and PVE would only result in the PVP turning into a raid/grief/lunacy-fest.
You could add some safe zones were it is impossible to kill anyone.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 am

Simpler solution. Ships are cheap. Rather cheap, actually.

Weapons cost and arm n' a leg. Griefers either go manual (and expose themselves to traditional MC killing) or spend time making a dangerous ship. Most won't even bother.

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Commander Error wrote:Simpler solution. Ships are cheap. Rather cheap, actually.

Weapons cost and arm n' a leg. Griefers either go manual (and expose themselves to traditional MC killing) or spend time making a dangerous ship. Most won't even bother.
But that will make any well organized faction with more than 10 people OP because only they will have the recourses to constantly be building weapons.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Dux_Tell31 wrote:
Commander Error wrote:Simpler solution. Ships are cheap. Rather cheap, actually.

But that will make any well organized faction with more than 10 people OP because only they will have the recourses to constantly be building weapons.
Make some friends.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

why wont you do it this way
you can submit an alliance request on the forum
if then or more people join
its accepted
and you can only build ship weapons if you ar member of a faction

this way we have control over who has weapons
we dont have a giant numer of diffrent factions
we force them to work together
not every noob would instantly make its own faction
you get reasonable large wars with big factions
people are safer because not every body could destroy their homes
people could chose to stay home and build its own house with some minor guns
we should make really small guns for everybody same as small shields ensoforth
just enough to protect yourself against asteroids and wildlife

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:03 pm

@blockman (on MP vs SP roles)
Some people like to play creative and PvE with friends, and show off their work to the public.

@catsonmeth (on splitting PvP and PvE)
So why wouldn't that happen if both were together? Because people are making fun things for you to blow up rather than hiding in bunkers?
Food chain simulations aren't much fun for the herbivore.

@blockman42 (on safe zones)
Assuming they are not trapped there, this would be used by PvP players to protect against reprisal.

@CommanderError (on weapon cost)
Griefer != lazy or cowardly. Griefers like holding power over others and many will put in a lot of time and effort to achieve this.

@Tunnelthunder (on making friends)
We shouldn't punish players like that for playing solo. There will be big projects that need a whole community to accomplish, but we can't go hamstringing players who don't partake.

@joykiller (on alliance control)
Punishes solo players and encourages organized griefer guilds.

In my opinion, isolating PvP and PvE gameplay from one another has been the only practical solution I've heard so far. Everything else seems to end up screwing over one group or another, while never really addressing the problem of destroying stuff being really easy in Futurecraft, or how to deal with high level players encountering low level players without restrictive RPG engagement rules.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:28 pm

@Fr0st: PVE and PVP in creative should be on private servers, on public ones, there should be SMP only.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

You don't think peaceful players would want to explore or build in the real Futurecraft galaxy?

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:You don't think peaceful players would want to explore or build in the real Futurecraft galaxy?
Yes, but I was saying that anyone who wants to join the official FC should be doing it in survival.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Yeah I got that part. Why would we not want to support creative or cooperative play? The FC server will offer opportunities you can't can't have on a small-scale private server, so it's not a fair equivalency.

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Great! I'm glad you agree with the creative universe, I honestly din't want to bother with it considering the difficulties I was having convincing the validity of two universes.

Essentially dealing with greifers can be dealt with in two different ways, we either restrict privledges and rights in particular areas, this leads to a large decrease in things that could go wrong because well they can't happen but along with that a lot of game freedom is lost. This is the RPG universe Anti-Greifer method, if you agree with this philosophy this would likely be the better universe for you. You don't like losing your work to some random troll and prefer an actual storyline, it is very likely that you also support NPCs.

On the other hand, you can make greifers into something else, believe it or not greifers also have a sense of time and effort needed to put into things, it is likely that they will spend a lot of effort to make something which can be used renewably to troll with little effort. Now what if resources were a little more valuable? Is it likely for them to take the first ship they make and ram it into the nearest planet? Destroying what in this universe is a lot of work? Probably not. Stealing, cowardly ambush attacks, and other acts may be common place but in case you haven't noticed we have just taken a liability to gameplay and made it a feature. A greifer now functions as ruthless space pirate, plundering in hopes that one day they can get enough resources to become powerful. This method inspires a sense of free gameplay and gives a lot more depth than NPC but the downside is that these pirates are likely to be rather annoying as they were at one point greifers after all. If this sounded good to you it is likely you prefer a more free style of gameplay even if it means the game has to be a little tougher in fact you might love the challenge.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 am

but i think that my way doesnt punish the player on its own

its just a simple fact that people on their own already would have a hard time to build weapons
and big ships are likely to need several crew members
but with my way greifer guilds or alliances
cant survive long
because if we get complaints of an alliance being a greifer group we can simply disband the alliance thus stopping them from fighting

players alone would be able to build and help and roam the whole world on civillian ships
and they still have the possibility to build ships but not heavy armored
and this way we also force rules on players because other wise they would be kicked out of an alliance
and alliances would have more depth because they would be bigger and because they have to apply for a acceptance we could ask them for a history

and for creative we could make an "holo computer" that when activated tp's the player to an creative world where he can build what he likes then you could download your builds to an memory stick and you can put that in build computers and shipyards

jai my 100 post

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 am

joykler wrote:but i think that my way doesnt punish the player on its own
We know you think that, joykler. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted it. But it's been answered by Fr0st himself.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:13 am

ok thel me than how should this punish players

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by blockman42 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 am

There should be three types of areas,
1. guarded areas: No griefing period.
2. Medium areas: Griefing is allowed, but you'll get destroyed instantly buy a super-powerful NPC
3. War areas: Free for all!

If anyone try to grief in a medium area all their materials and ships will be annihilated.