Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Gameplay Discussion

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 pm

What part of "kicking other people's sandcastles will not be market driven" is such a difficult concept to grasp? People are going to want to wreak other people's stuff whether the other party wants it or not, and no amount of cost or notoriety is going to influence their decision.

I'm willing to bet most people are not going to be happy playing with that sort of people, knowing that their entire town or mining operation or shipyard can be destroyed in minutes and they can't stop it unless they are putting just as much effort into PVP as the people attacking them. So far, I've not seen a good suggestion for preventing this without isolating the two groups entirely.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Re: mech

Post by Keon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah. That's a problem MMOs have.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Two types of greifing, if the greifer has power and if the greifer doesn't. A greifer with power is called a tyrant, and honestly we can never stop that. But the problem of those with equal or lesser power placing a nuke in the dead center of someone's city is a large problem period. Especially in Minecraft. The trick is to allow the defense mechanism to be cheaper than the weapon itself. Therefore the weak can at least prevent an equal power attack. How to prevent orbital strikes from large ships? Satellite defense systems! There will likely be arms races, which is good but we need to ensure that the defender always has the advantage. If they can overpower defenses and launch orbital strikes and have disabled any SDI defense, any shield, intercepting pilots, etc. It will be obvious that the attacker is clearly dominate.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 am

Of course we can stop tyranny. We just need to be bigger tyrants!
This is a signature.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:23 am

Long live the TR!
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am

For victory or death!

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 am

Returning to topic, I like bsb's idea. Defenses are significantly cheaper than offensive systems, thus everyone can defend themselves, but not everyone can mount massive attacks. Balances the playing field.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 am

If defense is strong enough to protect towns who don't want PVP, then every base that does engage in PVP is going to be impenetrable. There's no way to balance the game types on the same scale.
There's no Swiss Alps or Russian winters to give people natural protection. Everybody's a Poland.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:35 pm

So if (you're not a griefing tyrant) = (you're dead).

Lovely.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Not necessarily.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Tiel wrote:Not necessarily.
That sort of thing you really need to elaborate on. Also we gotta stop rehashing the exact same arguments over and over again.
Concrete solutions, people. Who's got some?

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:19 pm

You should have to invest in your safety. Hire mercs or put enough in defensive systems. Pirates would be persecuted by the government if the central military is at least halfway decent.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:34 pm

jai mercenarys we would love to help

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:If defense is strong enough to protect towns who don't want PVP, then every base that does engage in PVP is going to be impenetrable. There's no way to balance the game types on the same scale.
There's no Swiss Alps or Russian winters to give people natural protection. Everybody's a Poland.
I hope you don't mind me relating this thread to another but what about the separation of universes idea? One universe (Hardcore mode players one) PvP is allowed in all situations and a good defense system is both encouraged and necessary, to survive, people are going to get attacked in these situations. NPCs and such would be unnecessary for this system as most simulation should be carried out by the player.

Alternatively in the RPG world, NPC pirates are your only reason for homeworld defense. But Designated PvP zones (planets and solar systems) would exist that were chalk full of resources, some to the point where it seems they may never run out. This would also be the universe of a over-ruling "police-like nation" if such was deemed necessary.

I disagree with space not being defensible. I missed what it has to do with the topic. Asteriod fields would be a fabulous place for armories and other weapons facilities. And somehow using gas giants or even nebulas as hidden bases, certainly those could be defended. As for something Russian winters what about space itself? A base in the inky blackness, hard to find, without supplies, possibility of ambush at almost any time. Sounds like Russia to me. A planet like Earth though? I agree one hundred percent. Nothing but Poland.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Gameplay should be natural and flowing as possible. Forced mechanics like designated PVP areas and safe areas would be bad for the feel, even in PVE. PVP universe should only provide a framework on which you can build your nation and the tools to build it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *