Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215
Re: mech

Post by Keon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 pm

non-subscribers?
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Well, the thing is that there's not much of a solution without forcing gameplay. We just have to trust that there'll be enough vigilantes and organized faction military to cancel out the pirates and griefers. The only possible solution (without restriction of freedom) is have defense and assault options mesh in such a way that they just work. Not allowing nukes, large amounts of explosives, vehicles, and other blow-em-up things in the inventory would do away with a pretty large threat from the wild griefer.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Going to try to address the last page here so bear with me. Joykler in particular, you're thinking hard about this one I can tell but you need to stop suggesting things that limit gameplay, once more in an indie game in particular you have to leave options open for people. Even in an RPG world the object is to direct a story not force it down peoples throats.

TL;DR Restrictions are bad. Freedom, even if its directed is good.

The idea of factions: This goes back to the less restrictions, we could limit factions or we could encourage players to play together rather than (almost) forcing them to do so. If they would like to make a faction or alliance or guild or whatever, let them do it because it is beneficial for them maybe for resources or defense or because they are feeling lonely not because its a rule. This means no "You can't do this until you are in a faction" that is a restriction.

Although, this is a matter of a personal opinion and therefore could be adjusted RPG vs. Survival. But you must understand do not limit or restrict simply direct. If it takes a little more encouragement to band up in the RPG world that will be fine, however I assure you any true Survival game people will band together, its too much to survive and advanced at large steps, while alone.

TL;DR RPG universe=Steps to encourage players to join factions can be taken, even if it means stepping over the "this makes sense line" It is once more easy to blame on an over-ruling government.
Survival universe=Encouragement is unnecessary as they should already want to join a faction to advance.

Block Tagging: I wouldn't mind a way to see who has altered something recently given a certain tool but tagging is a little ridiculous, it doesn't make sense it kind eats at game immersion. Not to mention all the exploits and by the time we fix all the exploits we might as well just have just kept with the tool. For instance, what if I build a shield around your house while you are gone? Or what if someone breaks something accidentally? Too many issues.

TL;DR This isn't bukkit.

Personal Defense: I've stated this before, if defense is easier to achieve than offense so that someone defending has an immediate advantage, a lot of problems are to be solved. Instead of removing nukes, just allow a nuke-proof shield to be made less expensively. By the time a griefer can do serious damage his counter-part should be capable of auto-defense systems. If the greifer over-powers you, well, then you were just defeated and he/she is obviously more powerful than you are, I'm not seeing a problem with the strong conquering the weak. Especially if the weak was stupid enough to be visible in an unregulated world, he should have moved to a city or hid his home a little better.

TL;DR If Defense is stronger than offense true greifing won't exist.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:11 am

but why cant we make it more realistic

in the future do you tink we wil all be carrying weapons
in none of the series thats legal not in startrek not in starwars
in real life you need a weapon permit
it would be much calmer an also more centered at the life in the future instead of war
if you just deploy the real weapons in areas where problems are with people who have enlisted the army
because not everyone wants be constant looking over their shoulder or when they mis a few days see their home wrecked because the other party didnt logout
this would stimulate a better economy because more people would be able to roam the galaxy freely in search for planets to inhibit
or recourses to mine
and this would stimulate blackmarket because that way the weapons can getaround

we need some restrictions its just the way it is in the servers where there are no rules hell breaks loose
i have been to such worlds adn believe me i didnt like it

there are server now in the topten orso
where you have to register with a page of info before you could get in
so having no weapons scatterd around isnt so bad

and stop putting my posts in poem form

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:50 am

joykler wrote:people wanted that more players would be on their own
and would just wreck the world with pownage weapons with the only restriction of recourses

i had a sort of your idea but i say why dont we let the pownage weapons be faction only
Because that's unfair on lone players who are intelligent enough to out-play and out-maneuver factions.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 am

The problem with that, joyk, is that no government is omnipresent in the real world. Laws like weapon regulation should be decided by the controlling faction's government and dealt with by that governing body. It should not be a set game restriction.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 am

No there is no government omnipresent but people in the real world almost always live under regulation of atleast one government. Sometimes there are more layers of law and law enforcement ontop of eachother. So when people spawn in the server there have to be ingame rules because if people would only have to obey to rules their faction gives them nobody would join a faction thus there will be no rules = anarchy ,world distruction = a server that would survive for a month before failing because everyting would be broken.

Keon-edit: I just formatted the post how you might want to make it. Instead of a different line, add a period.

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Doesn't matter it was a small joke, I'm pretty sure joykler can handle it. Personally I found it funny. I also understand the difficulty of translating from one language to the next. The point is though joykler's grammar is read-able but his punctuation is a little rough. We aren't asking that you to perfect the English language just use a period every now and then, it simply is easier to read.

That being said joykler, you have reasoning I understand what you are saying, I know the chaos you are speaking of. This over-ruling government isn't an issue but the illusion that it is everywhere always restricts options. There would be rules that cover the universe but they would not be absolute. Some fighting may happen that is unpunished. A world may become chaotic and hard to manage, weapons may be openly flailed. However, the over-ruling empire would prevent any large-scale problems like ship to planet combat or pirating (outside a nebula). The over-ruling government should not be an oppressive one, weapons should not be banned this restricts gameplay. For the hundredth time restricting gameplay is a big no-no.

TL;DR Over-ruling government would exist in the RPG world but will be mostly loose handed and relaxed this way we could prevent large-scale issues without restricting too much gameplay.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm not sure we even have the capacity to handle any real sort of governmental infrastructure. If an alliance wants to set one up and everyone just sort of goes along with it, that's fine, but unless all infractions carry the death penalty, laws would be difficult to enforce.

Other servers have enacted governments with admin power and plugins which can magically restrict priveleges. But if we are limiting the magical admin hand on servers, then this model doesn't work.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 am

In my version it would be impossible to craft weapons, but you could trade them on the black market.

It would be simple to limit this and simple too explain they simply dont know how to build devastator cannons. They can make handweapons that dont do any structural damage. What the hell they may also make tnt but just not the gigantic nuclear weapons you can say it would be impossible to make them because it would require large amounts of recources, but they will find a way.

You can limit this to controlled planets or something.

But i think its the best if only when you are in a faction you could make weapons. The only things they can build for selfprotection.

tier 1 shield.
miniature turret for ship and ground deployment.
some handweapons that dont do destructive damage.
one kind of explosive such as a smaller version of tnt.

The rest of the mod items they can build with the right recourses. But the war part would be limited to this.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:11 am

So what you are saying is that in protected areas you can still engage in PVP but you can't destroy blocks. Correct?
That would not be terribly difficult.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 am

the other way around

you can have areas where factions have declared ware that would temporary be destroyable pvp
say a week orso after that it would return to its normal state

or you jut give people who arent in a faction limited weapons where they can destroy blocks with more like a bow then tnt
this would limit the devastation great

if im thinking about future i dont immediately think about war
i think about the imppressive citys the gen technologie
and more of that kind

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 pm

joykler wrote:In my version it would be impossible to craft weapons, but you could trade them on the black market.

It would be simple to limit this and simple to explain they simply dont know how to build devastator cannons. They can make handweapons that dont do any structural damage. What the hell they may also make tnt but just not the gigantic nuclear weapons you can say it would be impossible to make them because it would require large amounts of recources, but they will find a way.

But i think its the best if only when you are in a faction you could make weapons. The only things they can build for selfprotection.

tier 1 shield.

The rest of the mod items they can build with the right recourses. But the war part would be limited to this.
People should be able to make anything if they have the knowledge and resources. That said, not many people will be able to nuclear bomb for several reasons. The first is that U-235 is pretty difficult to come by naturally, you need a centrifuge plant to extract it, something the average player isn't going to have in their back yards. Another possible solution is that you'd need a factory to manufacture nukes and you are unable to have it in your inventory and place it anywhere, it has to be carried to a ship then launched or dropped.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
joykler wrote:In my version it would be impossible to craft weapons, but you could trade them on the black market.

It would be simple to limit this and simple to explain they simply dont know how to build devastator cannons. They can make handweapons that dont do any structural damage. What the hell they may also make tnt but just not the gigantic nuclear weapons you can say it would be impossible to make them because it would require large amounts of recources, but they will find a way.

tier 1 shield.

People should be able to make anything if they have the knowledge and resources. That said, not many people will be able to nuclear bomb for several reasons. The first is that U-235 is pretty difficult to come by naturally, you need a centrifuge plant to extract it, something the average player isn't going to have in their back yards. Another possible solution is that you'd need a factory to manufacture nukes and you are unable to have it in your inventory and place it anywhere, it has to be carried to a ship then launched or dropped.
Weapons that can only be bought on the black market

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 am

blockman42 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
Weapons that can only be bought on the black market
That image link isn't working.
— David Langford
Spoiler: