Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign
Re: Gameplay Discussion

Post by Laserbilly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:01 am

CommanderKobialka wrote:now i know a lot of us here hate the over complexity of eve online but here me out for a minute.
On one side we have people that love PVP and all they want to do is kill the new players.
On the other side we have the new players who will quit when this happens.

the brilliant solution:

Make it so that the new players have nothing to lose. The first ship new players get, they have an infinite supply of. Make it a small mining ship and make it so that even if that ship is destroyed, it's loadout and everything mounted on that ship are saved.

Make it so that the vets are at a higher risk. If they get into a fight and they lose their ship, they have to work to get everything that was on board that ship back themselves.

Either that or we give new players a week or so of invincibility to allow them to get up on there feet, join a faction, and find help before they get into fights. But we don't want noobs to think that just because they are invincible, they can pick a fight with everyone. Here we have two choices.

A: During invincibility, noobs cannot pick fights.

B: During invincibility, if a noob picks a fight then their invincibility is taken away until one of the players has lost the fight.

Next, once the week of invincibility is up, we dont want the new player to be thrown into the world with no idea how to use their weapons. There should be a basic battle tutorial at least. We cant rely on every new player to make a friend fast and have them teach them. There should be a basic tutorial for everything, really.
I've only read the last page of this discussion, but this seems like a really good idea to me. A free crappy ship to begin with, and a free in-game minecraft week of invincibility (around an hour or two (I know you probably meant an actual real-life week, but that's just too much time. I think it should be in-game time.)).

stufuzzycat
Recruit
Recruit
Affiliation:RTA
IGN:stufuzzycat

Post by stufuzzycat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 pm

I support the idea above as well.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Nope, the player's spawnfaction decides what the n00b will get to start out, it's been discussed at length elsewhere. You really should check the date of the last post before you click that reply button.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:21 pm

No free lunch. Kills half the point of the mod.

@POUNDCAKES
It is a stickied thread. Though I couldn't tell you why.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:33 pm

It is? I didn't notice.
@stu: Disregard the last portion of my earlier comment.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:It is a stickied thread. Though I couldn't tell you why.
Tiel wrote:Split and sticked for future reference.

A bit of offtopic is fine, especially constructive offtopic. I'd like to think ten pages of it constitutes a split, though.
It stopped being about mechs.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")