education/training of NPC's

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN
Re: education/training of NPC's

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:22 am

I disagree that you need to take care of NPCs out of your ship. Why the hell would you build them houses ? Do you plan to start a colony ? Then it's not the game for you , there is sims if you want but here it's more about the combat. You do need to take care of the NPCs on your ship though - the amount of ppl you can hire is determined by the amount of beds on the ship, they will drain your food reserves too.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 am

Iv121 wrote:there is sims if you want but here it's more about the combat.
We've been over this. This kinda comes back to you not wanting stuff on the ground, I guess. There has to be some reason to build cities, because it would be quite silly to be landing interstellar spacecraft in the middle of the woods, and there are never going to be enough players to motivate city building for themselves. You don't even think there will be enough players to encounter one another. If cities aren't for NPCs, what are they for? There will be more to FutureCraft than space battles.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 am

Don't get me wrong, cities are importnat and will be in, but just like in ME3 they are there to serve your needs to upgrade your ship, to get quests, to hire NPCs. It's not SimCity or sims, you can't be everything and by trying to do everything you will end up with nothing. It's even less about the ground and more about the fact that you plan to basically be like those guys you talked about some time ago that plan to make an alternative virtual universe, you can't do it. You slowly add more and more "focuses" and "functions" and go further and further from your origins, trying to be what you're not and as a result getting into an identity crisis.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 am

We need to be careful not to force too much linear gameplay or predefined structures on the player. The unique thing about Minecraft is your freedom to make things however you like. If you are playing with the technik pack, there are components you need to build a factory, but there is no specific factory building defined. I guess where NPCs are involved, Millenaire is the better parallel, but I don't want us taking things as far as that mod did. For one, that's a huge investment in time and server resources for something I don't think the mod will benefit from. And for another, if this is an MMO, players are the ones running the show, and NPCs need to stay in the background until they are needed for something. We shouldn't have to rely on them for anything.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:01 am

and people will build citys look at servers with towny
people build towns
now if we make something so people can hire not a flat piece of land but just a piece of the world people will build ontop of eachother and so we will create
flats and floating citys
without the need for npcs

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:14 am

... You know it's not simcity right ? I'm not sure you do . Before I though the engine works will be the greatest challenge in the mod but from what it seems like it's gonna be the content that you plan to make. You are planning to basically create something with a volume of like 4 tekkits ALONE ...

Really before you add ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS, please answer for yourselves what is the purpose of the mod. If it's making anything futuristic than you will never complete it in your life cycle. Be specific - Ship combat, ground combat, vessel construction. When you finally understand what futurecraft is don't even suggest anything that has nothing to do with it. That means no making of chairs so that players will have somewhere to sit on and no making of horse riding system couse everyone loves horses ...

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 am

i do think you are right about that everyone wants too much
i also want to much at some places
but thats why i want those nominations finalized
so we have boundries an we know where to focus on instead of the constant rethinking of impossible things
in my eyes it would be much about future city life
and just a bit about fighting in the same ratio like real minecraft

there are alot of non battle items and very little battle items

i think you are right about how to handle npcs
i do want some on ground combat
but i think the best way of doing it is
making 3 planetary assault machines [hover tanks that are also able to fly a ltitle in space]
2 kinds of mech [one dayly life and one battle]
2 kinds of turrets
and thats all for the ground part
then some simple self build ships
and alot of city things

a

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Well as I said 3 times already simCity is the game you look for, it's much better suited for this. Plus again you plan to make everything futuristic which will take you ages. Finally you don't even do a good job in it either. The ships are pointless the variety of ground battle is so low it is almost disappointing, basically the final result will be crap . The only part that will have anything good in it would be the city building which totally excludes everything frost did so far which is my way to say it has nothing to do with futurecraft. The mod you plan to make there ... it's just crap, mediocre at best, doesn't worth the effort.

Plus what gives you trouble building modern stuff in vanilla MC? I can supply you with the right texture pack and you can build your cities to your heart's desire.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm

The nominations don't matter. It's impossible to decide everything before the first line of content code has been written. What matters is that the people debating the ideas are aware and knowledgeable of the previous discussions so we stop having the same debate over and over. That means everything is already nominated. I don't know why I need to keep repeating this.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I don't know why I need to keep repeating this.
You keep saying it because the nomination system wasn't properly thought out and is fundamentally broken given the task it's meant to accomplish.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:38 pm

before i got the job i sayd i would do it this way

because [you repeat i repeat] otherwise people wouldnt look at the list
and even if they do people would say their idea is diffrent [if one word or a dffrent recipy is in it they are right]
and we would still continue to debate the same idea over and over and over
no one would know what people are exactley doing
and people who dont read the whole forum would see no progress
modders included

because in the two months i have been here i
have seen people building mayor mods out of nothing
but all we do is debate over the discussion we are having on a debate

frost i know you are doing great things but for the rest
we have ideas that have been chosen by some peole who we dont know
what ideas those are we forgotten

but if someone trys it again people will say we already discussed this and we decided not to do it
but nowhere actually says
we are not doing this

its sometimes enough to just let it get offtopic
and sometimes it gets laughed at

so you dont like the way im handling things fine
im just trying to work things out for real

but if it isnt good take away my title please
because then i cant do anything for you

if thats the case i will be happy to leave the forum with the knowledge this mod wil take ages to achieve something

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, Joykler.

Either way, it's Minecraft. If you want to, in Minecraft, you can fit all the basics of a home in a 4x4 box. In FTB, it might be anywhere from 10x10 to 20x20, depending on how far you are and what mods you use. Cities aren't forced, people want to make them.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Keon wrote:Thank you for pointing out the obvious, Joykler.

Either way, it's Minecraft. If you want to, in Minecraft, you can fit all the basics of a home in a 4x4 box. In FTB, it might be anywhere from 10x10 to 20x20, depending on how far you are and what mods you use. Cities aren't forced, people want to make them.
All they need are the tools and the incentive to make civilizations grow from raw soil, to shape worlds with a whim! (muahahaha)

The tools could be something like my building idea (which is somewhere in this thread) and the incentives are NPCs, economical perks, and many others. Perhaps also a tool to map out the city beforehand. That would make it much simpler.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 am

Ok so ships are totally excluded -.- . I said this like 100 times in this thread alone. No one of you can answer me the purpose of the mod and agree on it all together. Answers like "all futuristic" are NOT accepted, that means making a universe which I hope you realise you can't.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:28 am

making a universe is actually one of the ideas c.u.r.e
but i dont think that would work well

but i dont exclude ships