Questions that make sense!

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Ra1der Dr1verz
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:U.A.R.C.
IGN:Ep1cDr1verz
Questions that make sense!

Post by Ra1der Dr1verz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 pm

So, what are we doing about chat? Is it a proximity thing or is it factions or what? Because proximity would work on the planet but factions wouldn't (say you want to trade with a stranger) however it's vice versa in space. Proximity = too far away, Factions = Only you can hear people in your factions and whatnot. Ok, diplomatic ships are an exception but what all this means is there's many different chat ways you would have to choose from.

Also, another question, will there be multi-person transportation devices on ground. I think it would be awesome to have buses (A.I. Programmed, I think I heard around somewhere else) or trams (using overhead wires from Traincraft) or cars (maybe too many would cause lag) or just vtol/heli- type air transports.

One bigger topic that has multiple sub-topics is when things go offline.

1: What happenes when a person goes offline in space.

1A. If they're going to a destination and log off of Futurecraft, will the ship carry on going to it's destination? How will people be alerted that they have arrived?

1B. What if someone rage quits during a battle between another player, will the other player get to destroy their ship easily or will their now alone ship continue to fire it's weapons at the manned ship (like auto-fire)?

2. When a server goes offline, what happens to the planet? Does it just dissapear to everyone else or does it rely on the head Futurecraft server to keep it up and running. And again will defense systems on the server stay up?

3. When a person is in creative-hologram mode (if that's what's going to happen) and they log off, will their stuff autosave?

The End
Fr0stbyte: We can't place minecart tracks on the ceiling. That would look ridiculous.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Re: Questions that make sense!

Post by joykler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:04 pm

i think long range chat has to be done with use of machines and radio equipment

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Ra1der Dr1verz wrote:So, what are we doing about chat? Is it a proximity thing or is it factions or what? Because proximity would work on the planet but factions wouldn't (say you want to trade with a stranger) however it's vice versa in space. Proximity = too far away, Factions = Only you can hear people in your factions and whatnot. Ok, diplomatic ships are an exception but what all this means is there's many different chat ways you would have to choose from.

Also, another question, will there be multi-person transportation devices on ground. I think it would be awesome to have buses (A.I. Programmed, I think I heard around somewhere else) or trams (using overhead wires from Traincraft) or cars (maybe too many would cause lag) or just vtol/heli- type air transports.

One bigger topic that has multiple sub-topics is when things go offline.

1: What happenes when a person goes offline in space.

1A. If they're going to a destination and log off of Futurecraft, will the ship carry on going to it's destination? How will people be alerted that they have arrived?

1B. What if someone rage quits during a battle between another player, will the other player get to destroy their ship easily or will their now alone ship continue to fire it's weapons at the manned ship (like auto-fire)?

2. When a server goes offline, what happens to the planet? Does it just dissapear to everyone else or does it rely on the head Futurecraft server to keep it up and running. And again will defense systems on the server stay up?

3. When a person is in creative-hologram mode (if that's what's going to happen) and they log off, will their stuff autosave?

The End
1) Ship keeps moving according to most recent command. If using autopilot, it will continue along the course. We currently have no plans for storing ships in hangars or anything, but that will very likely change in the future. If someone ragequits or is disconnected, the ship will keep doing whatever it was doing, including engaging enemies if the ship AI/crew is set up to do so. Any combat AI is going to be fairly dumb, so I wouldn't recommend relying on it too heavily.

2) It will depend on a number of factors we haven't worked out yet. I would like to have live mirrors of all the planets and the ability for servers to take over for other servers if necessary, but that may not be feesible depending on what hardware we get and how expansive the galaxy ends up. If there is no backup, the player will probably be transported to a lobby nexus server, along with any vesslels owned by the player which were on the server. Ships and players are all kept backed up on central servers, so a peripheral server going down shouldn't be too big of a loss. We might want to keep all but the most recent vessel provisionally locked down until the server comes back up to avoid complications or exploits. When the server does come back up, those archived ships will be returned to their original settings.

As far as what happens to the physical space occupied by the server, jurisdiction of space will probably get switched over to a central server, but none of the planets or stations hosted by that server will be accessible or detailed until the server comes back up.

3) Hologram mode is a drafting tool for shipyards, and the data will be saved to disk like everything else on the server. Designs won't be uploadable until the project is saved. Creative mode gameplay is simply Futurecraft in creative mode, which will have its own planets and servers, and while players in creative and survival may visit the other side's planets, they are like ghosts to one another and cannot interract with other players or worlds. At least, that's the current plan for creative.

Ra1der Dr1verz
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:U.A.R.C.
IGN:Ep1cDr1verz

Post by Ra1der Dr1verz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
3) Hologram mode is a drafting tool for shipyards, and the data will be saved to disk like everything else on the server. Designs won't be uploadable until the project is saved. Creative mode gameplay is simply Futurecraft in creative mode, which will have its own planets and servers, and while players in creative and survival may visit the other side's planets, they are like ghosts to one another and cannot interract with other players or worlds. At least, that's the current plan for creative.
Cool, so you can only set your server to one of the two, but hologram (creative-like but not there) mode is accessible to both?

That seems like the best way to go in my opinion, so kudos to whomever thought up that plan.
Fr0stbyte: We can't place minecart tracks on the ceiling. That would look ridiculous.