Armor

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Armor

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:24 am

catsonmeth wrote:There are more than two armor types in vanilla, Ach. If we add temperature, there would be different types of clothing that offer the perks of normal fabric clothing (extra inv. space, non-clunkiness, doesn't cause the accidental death of everything) and protect you from the heat/cold. Most atmo/environmental suits and vacuum-proof hardsuits (including armor) would cover heat, cold, atmosphere toxicity, and lack of air. The atmosphere meter would measure the breathability of the air around you, not the air in your suit, there should be something on the GUI for that.

Now, when I said armor types, I didn't mean like diamond and leather. I meant like Apollo spacesuit type and MJOlNIR Spartan armor without the vacuum seal. I'll reiterate about heat and cold as well; we don't really need it, and it only hampers the players ability to play. Sure, jumping into space naked isn't a good idea, but we don't need new people spawning in on planet's surfaces to worry about clothes when they spawn in a tundra. Air toxicity shouldn't happen either. That would just make certain rocks completely useless because the faction only has one hard suit available, an mining takes many people, and if they use a mining ship, why not just remove the atmosphere anyways?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:12 am

joykler wrote:sorry if you read stats and stuff you would see most people have accepted temprature and hydratation in the form i suggested

i have posted things about armor too
Yeah, but that doesn't mean anythings final.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:22 am

ACH0225 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:There are more than two armor types in vanilla, Ach. If we add temperature, there would be different types of clothing that offer the perks of normal fabric clothing (extra inv. space, non-clunkiness, doesn't cause the accidental death of everything) and protect you from the heat/cold. Most atmo/environmental suits and vacuum-proof hardsuits (including armor) would cover heat, cold, atmosphere toxicity, and lack of air. The atmosphere meter would measure the breathability of the air around you, not the air in your suit, there should be something on the GUI for that.

Now, when I said armor types, I didn't mean like diamond and leather. I meant like Apollo spacesuit type and MJOlNIR Spartan armor without the vacuum seal. I'll reiterate about heat and cold as well; we don't really need it, and it only hampers the players ability to play. Sure, jumping into space naked isn't a good idea, but we don't need new people spawning in on planet's surfaces to worry about clothes when they spawn in a tundra. Air toxicity shouldn't happen either. That would just make certain rocks completely useless because the faction only has one hard suit available, an mining takes many people, and if they use a mining ship, why not just remove the atmosphere anyways?
A soft space suit would offer some protection against heat, cold, vacuum, and hostile atmosphere, just not any physical damage. An exoskeleton not made to operate in vacuum with no oxygen feed wouldn't protect against anything but damage. A face mask with an air supply would protect against hostile atmosphere and could be placed on an exoskeleton for exploration in toxic atmosphere. Since we have gas mining and terraforming of atmosphere, we really should have atmosphere toxicity as a factor. We are also introducing things like ice planets, hellish molten planets, polar wastes, etc. An easy way to fix that spawning issue is always have everyone spawn in a plains or mountains or savanna.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm

But you can't actually change blocks using terraforming, that would be lag hell.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Keon wrote:But you can't actually change blocks using terraforming, that would be lag hell.
Couldn't you form a planet's surface little by little, layer by layer with a mining craft? That's all I ask. For the atmosphere, it's mostly all the same, so changing a few values that affect the entire dimension wouldn't be that laggy, would it?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Changing blocks is much more laggy than changing the sky, but yeah, over a long period of time, you could. Just think of things like worldedit and how much is too much with them. Also, we don't know what's manmade and what's natural, so you could find your house being terraformed.

But yeah, I can't imagine it would be too hard to slowly turn a lava planet into obsidian.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 am

It's the same rules as normal Minecraft. If somebody is present, yes, you can alter things. But you can't alter the entire planet simultaneously because that's prohibitively expensive no matter what.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:It's the same rules as normal Minecraft. If somebody is present, yes, you can alter things. But you can't alter the entire planet simultaneously because that's prohibitively expensive no matter what.

So slowly do it chunk by chunk by loading one then filling it, then the next one. But I agree, no block terraforming unless in small areas.