Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Re: mech

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:Which is why the creative unite and forge their own iron fisted unit stronger then the loose pvp groups, causing the pvpers to have to work harder forming a more organized strike team thus creating a universe of creative war and it will make everything work fine, as long as being massively destructive isn't easy and the cost is high to be effective things will work out.
Or we can be pessimistic and say everyone will sit in small groups trying to gut the guy next to them at the first opportunity, until they blow everything up and make the game suck.
Let's be optimistic and say 5% of the population will be indiscriminate destroyers (a fairly low guess considering we are advertising the biggest most awesomest blow em up mod in minecraft history). And 35% are self-righteous white knights who have vowed to protect the innocent. And then the rest form up into communities or play solo. Nothing changes. A single heavily armed ship should be able to wipe out any vanilla style town with little effort, and would be mobile enough to get in and out before anyone puts up a fight. Or far more often, there is no one to put up a fight because everyone is asleep, and they log in to discover everything they had is gone. Even if people band up and take the guy down, he'll just come back because that's the sort of thing he is there for.

You just can't beat people who only wish to destroy in minecraft by playing fair, death is cheap and that sort of player isn't going to have much to lose. The only way you can control them is with extrajudicial powers. This isn't a revolutionary concept; every owner of a public server has already figured it out, and we'd be fools to at the very least not consider how we will handle it.

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Eh, what ever. I was just tossing in my two cents on the matter. I mean there are other games that do similar things to what we do, but they don't have mass griefings, because they made it hard enough that the people that do that have to be smart and try to gain by attacking and not just blow everything they see up.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Eve doesn't count. Eve never counts.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Keon wrote:Eve doesn't count. Eve never counts.
I never named anything.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Lol, most games don't have fully destructable environments, either, so there's nothing to break other than your fellow players. That would be a much nicer situation to deal with.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm

There will always be the few that just want to watch the galaxy burn, but the lone Joker griefer would not be able to do much against a slightly organized faction. The larger * would probably be organized enough to count as just another faction, forcing large-scale wars on the galaxy, which is not exactly a bad thing. Why not implement a system that makes death more costly? Maybe spawning on your home planet or having to go through the nether-hell or something.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 pm

That will further punish the players who aren't fighting. And one is plenty when nobody is online, which is often.

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Or just make it so you can't easily make a ship. Most griefers don't want to spend time on a server to grief, in current minecraft you and a friend can get full diamond and a couple stacks of tnt in two or so hours of play. Just make it harder and boom griefing is taking a down turn due to the time it takes to get a full ship.

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Hold on this is what I have been talking about here, there are three types of players (I guess creative really doesn't need their own galaxy but I digress). This is clearly obvious in this argument. There simply isn't a way to please them both as they have opposite objectives with the game. So we have the RPG universe (the fr0stbyte style in this case) protection, control of property, control of story line leads to a better, less disappointing disappearance with less uncontrollable destruction and general mayhem.

On the other the hand we have the free server, one that is difficult and therefore takes a lot of time. Greifing wouldn't be knocked out, it simply would become something closer to pirating. As for offline, I'm pretty sure we are capable of automated defense systems.

these types of players simply don't mix we can't make a single universe that makes them both happy we must separate them and cater to them differently otherwise we are immediately cutting our player base in half.

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Look if we start thinning out the player base by dividing them we won't have enough players to do anything. I was trying to keep everyone together and make as many people happy as possible. Though your way works great it thins the player base into smaller groups and disjoints the community, and I didn't mean to imply my way was going to kill griefing though reading my post it does come across that way. I just thought it would remove the instant griefers.
Also, we can make everyone happy with compromise, or we can divided them, or we can just appeal to one, or we can ignore them and just make the mod however and see how things go!

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I think its better to try and split the playerbase over losing half of it. I'm all for mod unity and I see what you are getting at but compromise between these two usually results in everyone angry not happy. Think if we took ee2/3's playerbase and tried to get them to compromise with the TFC community this is an extreme case but you see my point hopefully. Besides why balance a weighing scale when you can just cut it in half and push them both up?

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 pm

bsb23 wrote:I think its better to try and split the playerbase over losing half of it. I'm all for mod unity and I see what you are getting at but compromise between these two usually results in everyone angry not happy. Think if we took ee2/3's playerbase and tried to get them to compromise with the TFC community this is an extreme case but you see my point hopefully. Besides why balance a weighing scale when you can just cut it in half and push them both up?
MP should be survival only, SP should either be creative or SSP.

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am

bsb23 wrote:Hold on this is what I have been talking about here, there are three types of players (I guess creative really doesn't need their own galaxy but I digress).
already realized that three wasn't going to happen I appreciate the concern though. I was arguing for two "survival" mode universes. I describe them in detail in the discussion forums under "faction based resources".

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 am

I can agree, now that I have thought on it, that you seem more right in the way to do this. It does seem the better way is to give both kinds of players their own little world rather then try to make them work together, but It doesn't matter what I say just what happens.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 am

Splitting the survival players up into PVP and PVE would only result in the PVP turning into a raid/grief/lunacy-fest.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *