Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
bsb23
Cadet
Cadet
Re: mech

Post by bsb23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 am

I personally agree, I love the idea of war any with no rules, its not only you or I that are going to play this mod. That means we should at least attempt to appeal to the RPG-style player. However, most people want the occasional PvP, and that is exactly what this does, is not force it on them. As for a factor of feeling forced, its easy to make it make sense simply by stating that the over-ruling group has banned war, however these areas are either designated as "public land" and as such everyone has the right to try and achieve, at any cost necessary, everyone would be aware of the danger they could encounter by entering the area. Or we could say this area was out of the reach of the over-ruling empire.

Once more this is a role-playing universe and as such we can feel free to do a little story telling to get something accomplished, explain something or whatever in a manner that covers up any reason for something abnormal.

I don't play PvE games, I love those chaotic wild servers where you are always fighting for survival but I know that not everyone agrees with me, therefore with something like this we can reach more people. If people want no PvP period, they don't have to go there. If they want to every now and then but not get their home attacked by tyrant-type players you can do that to.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 am

Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to this topic (or many others...). I do have a solution to the PvP vs PvE vs Creative game-play styles. I always did, I don't know why I didn't mention it sooner. Anyway, this discussion is pointless, so go back to talking about mechs or give up.

And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is, because it needs refining. And before I refine, I need to write up a plan of Futurecraft (like the one that Tiel posted a short while ago). And to do that I need to download Microsoft Word on my new computer. And to do that, I need my Dad. And for that to happen, I need to wait to the weekend. So no matter how you look at it, It'll be a while before I write a plan and solve this problem.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to this topic (or many others...). I do have a solution to the PvP vs PvE vs Creative game-play styles. I always did, I don't know why I didn't mention it sooner. Anyway, this discussion is pointless, so go back to talking about mechs or give up.

And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is, because it needs refining. And before I refine, I need to write up a plan of Futurecraft (like the one that Tiel posted a short while ago). And to do that I need to download Microsoft Word on my new computer. And to do that, I need my Dad. And for that to happen, I need to wait to the weekend. So no matter how you look at it, It'll be a while before I write a plan and solve this problem.
If it needs refining, let us assist you.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 am

catsonmeth wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to this topic (or many others...). I do have a solution to the PvP vs PvE vs Creative game-play styles. I always did, I don't know why I didn't mention it sooner. Anyway, this discussion is pointless, so go back to talking about mechs or give up.

If it needs refining, let us assist you.
No thanks, I will refine it on my own. Then I need to refine/write/reclaim all the other old Futurecraft info. That, you can help with. But, be prepared for a lot of arguing.

Oh. Fine.

My plan to make the galaxy accept a more diverse range of players is a simple one: simply have both parties agree before combat. Incentive would be provided for you to go into combat, but this means that peaceful players can be peaceful, uber-powerful factions are only ever going to get into fights with other uber-factions, and all is well!
This is a signature.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 am

It's a meta-gamey solution and it will eliminate piracy. Also, no-one will ever fight anyone who has more or bigger ships than them.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03 am

Two "galaxies". RPG/PVE and PVP/Free For All.

Or just PVP and you'll only ever get griefers.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 am

Commander Error wrote:Two "galaxies". RPG/PVE and PVP/Free For All.

we could have safe zones for mining and trading, but the combat zones will have better materials to mine and lots of explosions.

Theres also the banhammer

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 am

blockman42 wrote:

we could have safe zones for mining and trading, but the combat zones will have better materials to mine and lots of explosions.

How qwould you scale the combat zones compared to the mining/trade zones, though?

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:And before I refine, I need to write up a plan of Futurecraft (like the one that Tiel posted a short while ago). And to do that I need to download Microsoft Word on my new computer. And to do that, I need my Dad. And for that to happen, I need to wait to the weekend. So no matter how you look at it, It'll be a while before I write a plan and solve this problem.
Set it up as a Google Doc. That would be the most convenient for the rest of us. We used to have one but I've totally forgotten how to access it.

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 pm

blockman42 wrote:

bsb23 wrote:Alternatively in the RPG world, NPC pirates are your only reason for homeworld defense. But Designated PvP zones (planets and solar systems) would exist that were chalk full of resources, some to the point where it seems they may never run out.
Needless to say I agree at least for the RPG universe. This also would incorporate Mackeroth's idea of willing combat. Instead of it working as an agreement (I find that an agreement to start a battle/fight to be extremely ironic). Instead they would agree to put themselves, their ship and its crew in danger, in an attempt for resource or whatever they are after in these dangerous areas.

In response to Commander Error: I see these areas to most likely be nebulas, we could sell them as almost never ending quite easily not to mention we have a good excuse for generating new resources (I'm aware it doesn't work quite like that but this is after all RPG universe in Minecraft. We could tell people that magic elves made them and they would be likely to go for it).

As nebulas we could pull a page from Star Trek's book to explain why fighting is allowed. Authority doesn't reach there. See my previous argument. See The Briar Patch from Star Trek

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 pm

This is never going to work well, it would completely destroy the feel of FC. No safe zones, no war zones, no designated zones of any kind in the PVP universe. It's fine if we're going to include some kind of RPG/PVE galaxy, but we don't want it to end up like just another game with forced gameplay mechanics and unfitting limitations. It's Minecraft.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:22 pm

So what everyone will grief because they can is the logic? This feels like our assumption is everyone is an a** hole...
We can be fine with only one galaxy
Edit-Also, from what I read it sounds pointless to have another universe if griefers will be everywhere.
Last edited by Tunnelthunder on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 pm

The two above posters should run for presidency.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 pm

@Catsonmeth
Public servers are almost entirely either complete chaos or managed with an iron fist. And more to the point you get to choose the server you are playing on. In Futurecraft, there is only one persistent universe that everyone needs to share.

Try building something peacefully on the Minerapocalypse server sometime. Griefers and looters will take to it like a school of piranhas, and it will be rubble before the day is out. The only way you can have anything remotely nice on that server is if you hide deep underground and never interact with anyone. They've even built up their own lore justifying trashing other people's stuff and killing anyone they see. And now you are saying we should hand over to that sort of player weapons which are orders of magnitude more destructive than any amount of tnt or lava, and the ability to come and go as they please, and that there should be no protection against it other than what other players (the ones trying to live peacefully and not sporting a massive military industrial complex) build to protect themselves.

I'm sure that would be great for all the PvPers out there to have a no holds barred brawl, but you are going to end up with a cratered wasteland across every single planet in the galaxy, and nobody but PvPers will want to play. No amount of npc police or bounty boards or town shields are going to prevent this scenario, because it will always be easier to destroy than create. End of story.

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Which is why the creative unite and forge their own iron fisted unit stronger then the loose pvp groups, causing the pvpers to have to work harder forming a more organized strike team thus creating a universe of creative war and it will make everything work fine, as long as being massively destructive isn't easy and the cost is high to be effective things will work out.
Or we can be pessimistic and say everyone will sit in small groups trying to gut the guy next to them at the first opportunity, until they blow everything up and make the game suck.