Gameplay Discussion

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
Re: Gameplay Discussion

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:15 pm

wait will the goal be getting away from planets as fast as possible to fly around and go shoot at eachother because thats what ach is saying
and second i think my way solves the greiving problem
people can walk out of a city without dying but if they really want to cause damage they would be on their best performance this wouldnt be possible unless they have a suit
that suit takes a time to make so people would automaticly be less incouraged to start greiving everywhere

Ra1der Dr1verz
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:U.A.R.C.
IGN:Ep1cDr1verz

Post by Ra1der Dr1verz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 pm

How about where instead of two universes or something, people can select what type of server they want to have but if they want to change from say hologram creative & peaceful to survival and harmed, there is a cool down period of about 2 days (Irl) before they can switch back. The time period would prevent noobs from changing back as soon as they see someone else s ship and be all like "Oh meh gerd, a tiny dangerous pinnace! Peaceful!" which I'm sure would prove to be very annoying. If not, go with the Runescape map plan: Peaceful servers one end of the galaxy, war ones on the other side... massive intergalactic asteroid belt (or something) to make it VERY hard to cross over:

If a ship coming to wage war on peacefuls has to go through the asteroid belt, it leaves their shields pretty much dead and if I'm correct in assuming that we're going for defense materials to be cheaper than offense materials then the peaceful servers' defense turrets should destroy whatever's left of the dreadnought of impending doom looming upon them.
Fr0stbyte: We can't place minecart tracks on the ceiling. That would look ridiculous.

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Ra1der Dr1verz wrote:How about where instead of two universes or something, people can select what type of server they want to have but if they want to change from say hologram creative & peaceful to survival and harmed, there is a cool down period of about 2 days (Irl) before they can switch back. The time period would prevent noobs from changing back as soon as they see someone else s ship and be all like "Oh meh gerd, a tiny dangerous pinnace! Peaceful!" which I'm sure would prove to be very annoying. If not, go with the Runescape map plan: Peaceful servers one end of the galaxy, war ones on the other side... massive intergalactic asteroid belt (or something) to make it VERY hard to cross over:

If a ship coming to wage war on peacefuls has to go through the asteroid belt, it leaves their shields pretty much dead and if I'm correct in assuming that we're going for defense materials to be cheaper than offense materials then the peaceful servers' defense turrets should destroy whatever's left of the dreadnought of impending doom looming upon them.
Leaving a way for spawned recourses to be transferred to the "Legit" Universe is a recipe for disaster. However the idea of having the universe levels server select your spawn server randomly, with a bias for servers you have good connection to (server hosting location is close to your house) is a good idea. In order for people who want to play with friends, we can also have a server list menu, similar to the multiplayer tab in minecraft right now. This list could also display the dominate faction of each server.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:09 pm

joykler wrote:wait will the goal be getting away from planets as fast as possible to fly around and go shoot at eachother because thats what ach is saying
and second i think my way solves the greiving problem
people can walk out of a city without dying but if they really want to cause damage they would be on their best performance this wouldnt be possible unless they have a suit
that suit takes a time to make so people would automaticly be less incouraged to start greiving everywhere
griefers dont always play legitimately. expect them to have cheats.
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Ra1der Dr1verz wrote:How about where instead of two universes or something, people can select what type of server they want to have but if they want to change from say hologram creative & peaceful to survival and harmed, there is a cool down period of about 2 days (Irl) before they can switch back. The time period would prevent noobs from changing back as soon as they see someone else s ship and be all like "Oh meh gerd, a tiny dangerous pinnace! Peaceful!" which I'm sure would prove to be very annoying. If not, go with the Runescape map plan: Peaceful servers one end of the galaxy, war ones on the other side... massive intergalactic asteroid belt (or something) to make it VERY hard to cross over:

well the game would be coded to not allow pvp in a peaceful zone in the first place right?

Alduin
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Dovan Empire

Post by Alduin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:30 pm

maybe we should just not allow attacks to happen if there is no good reason for the attack?
Nickname:Emperor_Revan(and roleplay)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm

no just no
if you want a war based mod you cant do that
there are always reasons to fight and there are never reasons to fight
so do your pick

Alduin
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Dovan Empire

Post by Alduin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm

joykler wrote:no just no
if you want a war based mod you cant do that
there are always reasons to fight and there are never reasons to fight
so do your pick
NO. Most greifers attack because they can. that is not a reason and causes everything to devolve into pointless slaughtering which is not fun. Wars should be started for a decent reason, NOT just "Cuz i can".
Just look at any pvp server. you join and you will be automatically killed when you leave spawn. if you manage to leave spawn, they will find you and kill you for no reason.
The beauty of Futurecraft is there will be REASONS to attack! like wanting planets, resources, technology or retaliation. if it isn't one of those, i cannot see a reason for someone attacking unless they like griefing
And no, this is not a war based mod. its a space based mod. war just is part of the package.
Nickname:Emperor_Revan(and roleplay)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm

but thats the way the world works
thats the way war works

the ones with the biggest sword
hope to kill everyone that comes directly from spawn
so they cant become rich

or they attack the rich man because he is the oppressor [no he just has money]
so im fine with taking away the war part
but your rule wouldnt work because then eveyone has to declare war to everyone with a valid reason
but no reason is valid in case of war

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Video games don't represent real life well so it doesn't make sense to base its rules off of real life.

1) Everyone is essentially anonymous, so they can act without inhibition online without repricussion.
2) Death is not permanent, and posessions are easy attained and lost, compared to real life, so people are less likely to be deterred when bringing destruction.

It is for these reasons that we can't simply assume players are going to act in a reasonable way, or that leaving players to their own devices will result in a stable gameplay environment. The important thing is that the game is fun for people. If some players are dedicated to making the game not enjoyable for others, then they need to be stopped from doing so. By adminstrative meddling, if necessary.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I doubt war will be as common as some think. While it is a critical aspect of Futurecraft, it isn't always a necessary one. The thing about war I that it's ungodly expensive. Even if you have fleets ready, you will always be developing new tech to our develop your enemies. If war breaks out, the patrol fleets will need to be refit, which needs resources, drydocks, people to build, and the tech to make the guns. This takes time and money. What will probably happen is there will be empires that are really built up with light patrol fleets and lots of turrets and defenses, and then there will be nomad groups that invade planets and hijack their resources and facilities, creating short and unstable empires that are either very small and rich and weak, or very large and rich and strong. These empires will only last a week or two, as nomad groups have no logistical knowledge at all, combined with insurrectionist groups from the empires they just conquered. Therefore, if an empire attacks, it isn't to obliterate everything-they want as much as they can get intact. Your drydocks are easier used in one piece.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

jai for my group of marouder nomads

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm sorry; I couldn't understand that.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm

ACH0225 wrote:I doubt war will be as common as some think. While it is a critical aspect of Futurecraft, it isn't always a necessary one. The thing about war I that it's ungodly expensive. Even if you have fleets ready, you will always be developing new tech to our develop your enemies. If war breaks out, the patrol fleets will need to be refit, which needs resources, drydocks, people to build, and the tech to make the guns. This takes time and money. What will probably happen is there will be empires that are really built up with light patrol fleets and lots of turrets and defenses, and then there will be nomad groups that invade planets and hijack their resources and facilities, creating short and unstable empires that are either very small and rich and weak, or very large and rich and strong. These empires will only last a week or two, as nomad groups have no logistical knowledge at all, combined with insurrectionist groups from the empires they just conquered. Therefore, if an empire attacks, it isn't to obliterate everything-they want as much as they can get intact. Your drydocks are easier used in one piece.

I would like to draw the parallel to our factions server. The server owner hands out diamonds like crazy, similar to how advanced mining and automatic machinery would. We burned through 3 stacks in a few hours.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 am

now i know a lot of us here hate the over complexity of eve online but here me out for a minute.
On one side we have people that love PVP and all they want to do is kill the new players.
On the other side we have the new players who will quit when this happens.

the brilliant solution:

Make it so that the new players have nothing to lose. The first ship new players get, they have an infinite supply of. Make it a small mining ship and make it so that even if that ship is destroyed, it's loadout and everything mounted on that ship are saved.

Make it so that the vets are at a higher risk. If they get into a fight and they lose their ship, they have to work to get everything that was on board that ship back themselves.

Either that or we give new players a week or so of invincibility to allow them to get up on there feet, join a faction, and find help before they get into fights. But we don't want noobs to think that just because they are invincible, they can pick a fight with everyone. Here we have two choices.

A: During invincibility, noobs cannot pick fights.

B: During invincibility, if a noob picks a fight then their invincibility is taken away until one of the players has lost the fight.

Next, once the week of invincibility is up, we dont want the new player to be thrown into the world with no idea how to use their weapons. There should be a basic battle tutorial at least. We cant rely on every new player to make a friend fast and have them teach them. There should be a basic tutorial for everything, really.