stats and stuff

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
Re: stats and stuff

Post by joykler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:23 pm

i posted my stats and stuff file again this time with my armor idea some people already downloaded the last file so its safe
please look at it

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

joykler wrote:and again for the people who dont want this it wouldnt be hard they would only need to drink
while people who do want it could adjust their bodys upto the point of maximum performance
and if people would only need to drink once in the 3 days it wouldnt be such a big point
Repeating yourself isn't really helping to sell your point.

And I'm willing to compromise on this, too. If we want to show that some planets are more inhospitable or hazardous than normal, we can have the works: Water rationing, radiation treatments, shielded bubble colonies, all that is fine. What I don't want is bringing that same sort of basic survival elements to places where it is simply the mundane. A civilization which has conquered the stars must have at some point conquered indoor plumbing as well. So unless you think we should go for the full restroom simulation, I would be happy to let people hand-wave away those basic aspects of life when they are trivial to accomplish.

So dehydration on Tatooine: yes. Space Six Flags: no.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

thats where the enviroment hydratation comes in cities could be hydratated upto a certain point you wouldnt be at maximum capacity but you wouldnt feel any diffrence

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:53 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
joykler wrote:and again for the people who dont want this it wouldnt be hard they would only need to drink
while people who do want it could adjust their bodys upto the point of maximum performance
and if people would only need to drink once in the 3 days it wouldnt be such a big point
Repeating yourself isn't really helping to sell your point.

And I'm willing to compromise on this, too. If we want to show that some planets are more inhospitable or hazardous than normal, we can have the works: Water rationing, radiation treatments, shielded bubble colonies, all that is fine. What I don't want is bringing that same sort of basic survival elements to places where it is simply the mundane. A civilization which has conquered the stars must have at some point conquered indoor plumbing as well. So unless you think we should go for the full restroom simulation, I would be happy to let people hand-wave away those basic aspects of life when they are trivial to accomplish.

So dehydration on Tatooine: yes. Space Six Flags: no.
So Keon's idea?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Something along those lines.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't know why anyone at all would like a hydration meter. I hate the hunger bar, and even if it's refilled when I'm in a city, I don't usually go in cities. Not to mention, starting out would be more of a pain, colonizing would be frustrating, and city planning would make people commit suicide trying to figure out the most efficient method for dispersing water. We don't need that much realism. I doubt many players want it, either. It's just joy and TFC players.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Agreed, Ach.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

bsb23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bsb23 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:52 pm

ACH0225 wrote:I don't know why anyone at all would like a hydration meter. I hate the hunger bar, and even if it's refilled when I'm in a city, I don't usually go in cities. Not to mention, starting out would be more of a pain, colonizing would be frustrating, and city planning would make people commit suicide trying to figure out the most efficient method for dispersing water. We don't need that much realism. I doubt many players want it, either. It's just joy and TFC players.
Don't insult people for their choices, I could just as easily call you a b**** for not taking on a little bit of challenge. That certainly wouldn't be appropriate though now would it? Besides I doubt swearing is allowed whether I censor it or not. As for difficulty, well, once more I'm more of one for options (double universe idea) and that forcing my side on you would be completely rude. You have asked for explanation however and I would love to help out with that. How many of you would love this game if you immediately started with all the materials, machines, etc. you would ever need all prepared for you. Sounds easy right? Sounds boring right? It's not lack of content, its still all there its just the lack of self-achievement, the lack of difficulty that would make this suck. Or how about a good game of chess. Care to play a three year-old over and over and over and over and over. Sounds easy right? Sounds boring right? Games should not be easy, unless we want them to be boring, a little challenge is necessary stuff for a game unless we want to be ee2.

However there is a line as well boredom is not the same as ease, although similar something can be difficult and boring as much as something can be easy and exciting. Obviously for starters you can't be so challenging no one can do it but the real trick is to be challenging and not tedious. Tedious being something that quickly becomes monotonous or boring, like pressing a button every second for breathing, or having to repeat a task for a ridiculous amount of times. I know what you're thinking ACH would that not make drinking tedious? Wrong its challenging. Why? Because instead of forcing people to repeat the task of walking to a lake, we are challenging them to become inventive and plan ahead a little, maybe get a water fountain going, or find a well, or stock up big before a trip. Yes I understand for the first couple minutes maybe it would be tough but remember we are talking about survival mode here. If the first thing you run for during survival is a pickaxe, you deserve to die of thirst. (Survialist Universe only, calm down anyone who doesn't want to play that way)

As for city planning, I would like to know what city planning you are referring to because I have yet to see any ever in Minecraft, whether in TFC or not (although yes the towns are more organized and towns form more often). I have seen people go through and build random aesthetic structures that may as well just be statues but I have yet to see any true city planning.

As for not that many players who want it. I think you are over-estimating yourself its not like TFC is posted on every billboard, there are plenty of people out there who would rather a challenge over something like technic any day. Gregtech is a fabulous example. And the FTB community is split nearly half and half over Gregtech. Sounds like plenty of players to me. It is challenging, believable, wide-array of possibilities and is critized for its difficulty. Sounds like TFC to me.

TL;DR Thirst in Survival Universe only some people like challenges, others prefer to make sand castles

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am

wait again you think it takes minutes to die of thirst
it doesnt it would take about 3 to 5 minecraft days and if im correct you would have an house on your first minecraft days

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 am

@bsb23
He really wasn't insulting anyone. Just pointing out that you are in the minority opinion on this. While advanced survival and building up from nothing may certainly appeal to some, it adds extra complexity to the game, most of which will be completely discarded by the time people get to the space stage.

And you need to realize that something which might work in single player, or in a smallish community where everyone is on equal footing is not going to work in a giant multiplayer universe where you are competing with people with massive tech advantages over you. We haven't even worked out a proper solution to keep random strangers from destroying you before you get to space, and that is without you having to reinvent civilization first. It's a fine idea for a mod, and it's possible that the Copernicus framework could do some really interesting things with those mechanics, but your survivalist universe is not Futurecraft. Even with as large a scale as this mod is going to be, we can't make it be everything to everyone, and this is going to be one of those times. We will try to make the technology varied and interesting, but recreating the history of man is outside the scope of this project.

@joykler
Yes, everyone is clear on that point. It's not a death timer so much as another thing which you need to keep maintaining like food.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:45 am

sorry that i thought that because you only forget what im saying every few posts because

again again again
for me its not about the complexity its about the fact that you (TN Note: 3rd person indefinite form, if that wasn't clear) arent able to make real diffrent planets without it being lagg as hell you are not able to have diffences in gravity or atmosphere thats my point i dont care if its complex or not or rpgish or not
i care about planets being diffrent
and having something to upgrade but yet again no one downloads my files while its safe so no one knows my real ideas but you speculate about what im saying and then point out thats impossible so
tonight i will finish this doc and if you then first download it read it and after that you can comment alright understood ?

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 am

We've already said planets can vary, even significantly. The only thing we can't easily do is turn them into a different sort of planet once they've been generated, in the same way that generating a map with a different seed can't preserve things you've already started building.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:56 am

this way it can because you would only need to change the stats of a place

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah, sky color, all the biome colors. Heck, if we edit some block classes, we could even make all the blocks slightly tinted a "planetary color"
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:34 am

okey i think i have it all wrote now
if you please download the file on the first page,read it and then tell me what you think i would be most happy
if you didnt read it i wont answer
so please always start your post with:
i read it and