mech

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
mech

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 pm

hello
i have seen awsome mechs build but i dont see how you could make it move because it contains a lot of diffrent parts that have to move in a right way
but nothing makes a world look more techy than giant walking robots.
so i have an idea why wouldnt we make mech models like in flans mod. each player that signs in get his character and a mech this mech would only appear if the player is online but the mech would have an diffrent location.
like when you spawn in the mech labratory.
these mechs can be mounted where you get diffrent options
you get an inventory as big as an double chest and a upgrade screen with all parts of your current mech in it like hands arms legs shoulders body head feet ect...
you start with an drill a claw and a gun
with the drill equipt [by using the mouse as if you had a held items bar] you can drill as fast as an iron pick but with an 2x2 surface [this can be changed for large chainsaws digging machines or farming machines]
with the claw you can pick up people,animals,carts without killing them [upgrades of this make it possible to pick up things upto a frigate] this way mechs would just be working as if they are normal instead of just for fighting

every part of the mech could be changed and if you reach a certain point you can even upgrade him to a larger core so you could have larger parts ......
you can even have diffrent cores later think of a swarm faction you could have an buglike mech with buglike parts

these mechs could be loaded onto ships to be sent to war or they could just stay athome
walking talking working mechs would raise the future feel by alot.

parts of an mech could be sold or just crafted with mech workbenches
you could even build a mech factory but a player assigned mech would be stronger then any mech made in the game
if a mech dies you receive its blueprints so you can make its core again this core would stay as strong as it was used to be

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Re: mech

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Currently, we are thinking about two options for mechs:

1- you build them with blocks, with specific joints that allow it to move. This would be difficult to code, but a lot more fun.

2- you craft them. However, you will also be able to customize them, with several choices for body, arms, legs/tracks, and weapons.
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I think mechs will be spawned entities, that would be easier to code, and less buggy.
We could always use a standard body model, then make variations from that (different armaments and such)
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm

im in favor of the crafted one
but i think you should also think of forklifts to lift things such as fighters or supplys
and i really like the idea of having people in mechs farming with 5x5 hoe arms

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Currently, we are thinking about two options for mechs:

1- you build them with blocks, with specific joints that allow it to move. This would be difficult to code, but a lot more fun.

2- you craft them. However, you will also be able to customize them, with several choices for body, arms, legs/tracks, and weapons.
Number one for the larger mechs (>7m), two for anything that could be considered heavy armor or a mech suit.

NUMBER ONE NUMBER ONE NUMBER ONE!!

@ Joykiller: We've thought of war mechs and mining mechs, but farming mechs? Excellent.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Number one would not only be more challenging to make, but more buggy, and harder to actually use in game, but if pulled off, it would be epic.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Prototype wrote:Number one would not only be more challenging to make, but more buggy, and harder to actually use in game, but if pulled off, it would be epic.
Exactly.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

and what about the lifting of things because thats one of my favorites
mechs pulling complete dreadnaughts [if they are real big]
or just carrying fuel and supplys

edited: i exxagerated when i sayd pulling dreadnaughts but mechs could lift and load heavy fighters or maybe little frigates
Last edited by joykler on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm

joykler wrote: mechs pulling complete dreadnaughts [if they are real big]
I'm sorry, but what the f**k?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm

What're you calling a 'mech', joykller?
— David Langford
Spoiler:

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

a giant robotic suit/ drivable robot

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:46 pm

on avengers server there are mechs of 40 blocks high so why not bigger

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

joykler wrote:on avengers server there are mechs of 40 blocks high so why not bigger
DOUBLE POST

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm

I don't want to do fully procedural animation for this. It's hard to do and even harder to tell if it got it right.

I would prefer Flan-style vehicles, but with mix-and-match parts and standardized sockets. e.g. bipedal legs or tank treads on the same chassis. Think more Armored Core and less Spore.

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I don't want to do fully procedural animation for this. It's hard to do and even harder to tell if it got it right.

I would prefer Flan-style vehicles, but with mix-and-match parts and standardized sockets. e.g. bipedal legs or tank treads on the same chassis. Think more Armored Core and less Spore.
Agreed, everything should be mix and match!