mech

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Re: mech

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
joykler wrote:i think they would look terrible when they are made out of blocks
because if only certain points move you would have an robot sort of hovering with one foot on lower ground bodys not in sync with their legs
melee fighting would be a pain because your arms could only move so far
so im defintley in favor of crafting in parts
I think we have a fairly competent team of devs capable of coding the movement so that mechs don´t look that crap when moving.
It's harder than you think. There are literally an infinite number of solutions once you get past a certain number of joints, and most of them will look like crap.

On the other hand, if you have some premade leg units, getting them to traverse uneven terrain isn't too bad.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 am

Then you get legs That dont fit with THE body and even of it does look At THE human body an the human body and all its joint even if you get à quarter of That it woul be massive

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:10 pm

joykler wrote:Then you get legs That dont fit with THE body and even of it does look At THE human body an the human body and all its joint even if you get à quarter of That it woul be massive
As much as we appreciate your discovery of the shift key, please try to keep it under control. :x
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm

sorry ipad
if it sees something english it trys to put it in capital letters

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

joykler wrote:sorry ipad
WE HAVE BEEN TROLLING YOU ALL ENGLISH SHOULD BE IN CAPS!

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:

Enough of the grammatical off topic
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Prototype wrote:
Tunnelthunder wrote:

Enough of the grammatical off topic
SEE EVEN THE MEME KNOWS ALL ENGLISH SHOULD BE IN CAPS!

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Get back on topic. I'm sorry I started that.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Fine, back to topic.
Mechs while being made completely of blocks seems too complicated, so why not attach arms/legs to a block based core, so its like you make the body just not the arms and legs.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:Fine, back to topic.
Mechs while being made completely of blocks seems too complicated, so why not attach arms/legs to a block based core, so its like you make the body just not the arms and legs.
Because that would look funny. How about frames of different sizes and shapes around which you can build the mech?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:09 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Because that would look funny. How about frames of different sizes and shapes around which you can build the mech?
Wouldn't that look funny too, by your logic? I think it would look fine though it would require you to build certain ways for the most part you could build anyway though I mean just a joint part in certain areas, but I think it would require a way to detect balancing, so you wouldn't have a mech that had two legs way in the back and then a hundred block long body.

Also, I thought about the "just allow for arms, legs, bodies, and weapons to be shifted" and it sounds good, but limits the forms. And while it is good to allow for as many forms as possible it seems unfeasible to assume we can get block made mechs that function right.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 pm

maybe we can have a bunch of mech parts and you craft them into mechs that you can place down and use.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Tunnelthunder wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:
Wouldn't that look funny too, by your logic?
No, the frame wouldn't be visible on the finished mech.
Tunnelthunder wrote: I think it would look fine though it would require you to build certain ways for the most part you could build anyway though I mean just a joint part in certain areas, but I think it would require a way to detect balancing, so you wouldn't have a mech that had two legs way in the back and then a hundred block long body.
Yup. Just allow a certain number of blocks behind or in front of the feet.
Tunnelthunder wrote:Also, I thought about the "just allow for arms, legs, bodies, and weapons to be shifted" and it sounds good, but limits the forms. And while it is good to allow for as many forms as possible it seems unfeasible to assume we can get block made mechs that function right.
The frames would be much less limiting than the crafted mech.
blockman42 wrote:maybe we can have a bunch of mech parts and you craft them into mechs that you can place down and use.
I'd rather not have a fully-functional war machine that a marine can just deploy from their inventory after they sneak into enemy territory.

Another idea: Build the parts separately. Legs, weapon mounts, and torso would be built in a holodeck-like area, then they would be built shipyard-style.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Alright, how about no mechs because hovertanks and spaceships. Makes sense.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Keon wrote:Alright, how about no mechs because hovertanks and spaceships. Makes sense.
>:( because shut up. Have you ever played a Mechwarrior game? YOO WOULD UNDERSTAND, KEON. U WOULD UNDERSTAN.
— David Langford
Spoiler: