Aliens

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Re: Aliens

Post by cats » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Iv121 wrote:Eh man you cannot decide what you want yourselves. You say you want an overall mod that goes about land combat and space combat all together, yet you only talk about space. You say you want deep strategy in the game yet you prefer to give a ship one generic health pool in a form of a shield instead of allowing players to fortify specific areas and deal with breaches and air leaks. You say you want realism but in the end you take cube planets. You say you want AI, its great for gameplay ! Yet you consider it as a background - nothing more than the cows running around vanilla minecraft (maybe testificates for trading). Forget about the fact it contradicts my opinion - it contradicts your opinion.
90% offtopic, but I'll reply anyway.
1. It's futurecraft, not Spaceycraft. Needs to encompass many aspects of sci-fi and future, not just space. We talk about many other things.
2. We seem to be divided on the ship HP. The question is how to balance shields and armor.
3. Another area of division. I think we're going with cube planets that appear spherical from space.
4. NPCs will be important in gameplay, but should only take on mundane tasks.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Iv121 wrote:Good so instead of listening you kick me out ? Thanks, so considerable of you. Listen I’m aware that you blame me in all the faults of this forum. You blame me in causing all of the arguments on the forums for example which for some reason you claim have terrible results. For the record last time when there was a discussion about moderation rights in the court section I ALMOST DID NOT PARTISIPATE YET GOT BLAMED IN ALL OF IT. This is really unfair of you. I'm here to help you and not do be enemies with you, how many times will I have to say it for you to believe me instead of showing the door ? (I'm not talking about the fact that it is insulting) And an interesting fact is that my predictions all come true so far. I've told you that overmedication is a question of time and that it is a problem you shouldn't evade but solve, and here it happened again...
Overmedication?

And no one's kicking you out, I don't know where you got that from.

I'm just saying that if you're so unhappy about everything then leaving for a while is always an option.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 pm

catsonmeth wrote: 1. It's futurecraft, not Spaceycraft. Needs to encompass many aspects of sci-fi and future, not just space. We talk about many other things.
2. We seem to be divided on the ship HP. The question is how to balance shields and armor.
3. Another area of division. I think we're going with cube planets that appear spherical from space.
1. not rly - if you look at the suggestions section the majority of discussion goes about space. That's exactly what I'm talking about
4. They will, for the evil badass it will be to capture systems and be an opponent to the human players when they don’t slaughter each other.

@Tiel maybe you should write it this way and not the way you meant, anyway as I said there is a reason why I insist on Aliens (or at least some sort of enemy). It is because they are an essential part of a futurecraft model I'm working on that is a bit different from what you imagine ( And I'm quite sure it's even pointless to talk about it as you won't listen to me as always). The reason I take this different approach is because I analyzed the "Classic" Futurecraft model and came to the conclusion it is simply impossible to implement (just like the ground combat). I'm not that in a hurry with it because sooner or later you will have no other choice left because the bigger model of giant factions clashing with each other and a super moderator fleet just won't work. I had a thread about it somewhere on the old forums where you notably replied more seriously to my tries to warn you ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Cube planets will appear cube from space.
We haven't decided anything on NPCs. You've all just said what you think would be cool.
I'm okay with adding new gameplay elements and features, but I want there to be a point to it all and not just random crap everywhere. No companion cubes, for instance.

I also still want ground combat to be viable. It would be a waste to focus on space ships at the expense of everything else.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Iv121 wrote:
catsonmeth wrote: 1. It's futurecraft, not Spaceycraft. Needs to encompass many aspects of sci-fi and future, not just space. We talk about many other things.
1. not rly - if you look at the suggestions section the majority of discussion goes about space. That's exactly what I'm talking about
4. They will, for the evil badass it will be to capture systems and be an opponent to the human players when they don’t slaughter each other.

*snip*
1. It's mostly about ships and space because that's never really been done before in MC. It's new and exiting, even moreso than giant desert worms and a render distance that reaches into the kilometers.
4. I don't think that's a good idea unless we have a separate galaxy/universe for PVE.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Ad hominim.

I want a mod about space. I want a mod where I can shoot people in spaceships. I want the easiest planet possible, even if that means a flat map that's then wrapped into a sphere with terrible distortion. I want to be able to shoot people, and I don't care what AI there is.

There we go.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:49 pm

What was ad hominim?

Cube planets are way easier than spheres, even with the funky gravity. The complications from having non-Euclidean space would be incedibly unpleasant to deal with.

I also went and underlined "shooting people" on the todo list, just for you.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:What was ad hominim?

Cube planets are way easier than spheres, even with the funky gravity. The complications from having non-Euclidean space would be incedibly unpleasant to deal with.

I also went and underlined "shooting people" on the todo list, just for you.
Yay! SHOOTING PEEPS!

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 am

Making a PVE only world is not a good idea BTW , why bother if you can make it all in one package without forcing people to switch universes all the time. The point is that there is no motivation driving people if there is no enemy to oppose. The point is not only in PvP combat. This will definitely be there but in order to protect those who don't want to fight yet there is a need in a system to help them out (AKA AI police or military patrolling the areas). It not only protects those ships but also adds another layer to piracy making it more realistic and challenging.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:50 am

i like this idea
im for the mercenarys and trying to keep away from cops would be nice

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 am

Iv121 wrote:Making a PVE only world is not a good idea BTW , why bother if you can make it all in one package without forcing people to switch universes all the time. The point is that there is no motivation driving people if there is no enemy to oppose. The point is not only in PvP combat. This will definitely be there but in order to protect those who don't want to fight yet there is a need in a system to help them out (AKA AI police or military patrolling the areas). It not only protects those ships but also adds another layer to piracy making it more realistic and challenging.
Because people that are serious about a realistic, regulated galaxy with actual human interaction aren't going to want some AI up their asses constantly.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:30 am

Alright so you might consider round planets again :tongue: . As I've told you you contradict your own opinion.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 am

Iv121 wrote:Alright so you might consider round planets again :tongue: . As I've told you you contradict your own opinion.
Go away, Iv. This is not a useful discussion for you to be prolonging. Occasionally you have to lose an argument. Just let it go.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 am

Problem is that nobody can win this argument until the mod is out and you will see for yourself. I looked at the way you want it to be and it is simply impossible. Want it your way ? Fine do what you want, I'll have plan B ready by the time plan A fails.

Why having massive universe ran by players will fail ? Because of the nature of humans. Give me one good reason to get orders from that ***hole seeting somehwere saying that everyone should join his factinon ? Yea it is right that some factions will manege to create a big player base but this will mean that the fight will be between those two factions and the whole game existing only to serve those two persons. The other players will get smashed the second they pop in by the massive fairepower of those factions and are either forced to join those factions or quit. It is impossible to have every player - a faction model. If you plan to balance it with moderator fleets you are going to ruin it even more, I bet you can guess why and I'm too lazy to write it all here but if you insist I will explain.

Now that you hopefully see or don't see and discover yourselves that each player can't run a faction and that around 2-3 factions will rule futurecraft you probably ask what that idiot Iv suggests. I suggest a different faction model where players can join together for the benifit of the whole group (such as pirate raiding party or mercenary battlegroup or transport ship canvoy). Those groups are not as massive as the prev model and each unit is independent from the others, aloowing it to join or quit as he wishes. This way you will not forve people to join factions, allow those who do not want factions to play a balanced game and yet giving those who want to team up with their friends what they want.

Now in order for all of it to be possible you need a way to make sure people can't just force their factions and combat on everyone - here is where the police AI or military AI comes in. It prevents people from forcing PvP on others in specific areas and yet allowing to do so in the same time. It all comes down to if you can do your thing and escape unharmed or if you can destroy the oposition. This also adds another strategic level to it. The final touch is the alien AI to really kick things up. They can invade different systems causing chaos there and giving players a target - something to achieve (just like in your model the destruction of other player factions). They also allow pirates to do their thing with the military AI busy and adds even more layers to the game making it a deep experience and not the shallow shell you are hoping to achieve. While on paper your model looks much better on fact it will not work or you will have to drastically change it in a way I didn't think of yet.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 am

Alright, plan B is we make Eve online in minecraft.