Idear(s) <TEXTWALL WARNING>

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: Idear(s) <TEXTWALL WARNING>

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 am

Keon wrote:
Tiel wrote:It isn't dependent on the ship core. That's just for finding minerals in rocks when you don't have an Extractor block on hand, which greatly surpasses the Core's built in analyzing function in every feasible way; it also has the ability to 'extract' minerals from blocks using a mineral as a template and even working with other Extractors in conjunction to process tasks faster.

The Extractor is to the Core as the workbench is to the inventory's crafting space.
Yeah, I just object to the core being the inventory crafting space at all.
And why's that? If there's any confusion, that was just an analogy, the Analyzing tab of the Core is simply a stepping stone to the Extractor, after that it'd only be used for those times when you don't have an Extractor on hand. Having just the Analyzer function as a separate block only needlessly complicates things, leading to Tekkit syndrome.

Also, new section added to the OP about the possible Minerals to be found.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am

I'm not loving these ideas.
First, the cores do too much. They're just part of a ship. There's no logical reason for them to be tied into research and extraction. Likewise, I don't think they should be the power cores.
Second, I don't like researchers and extractors just being magic blocks that do the work. That's a poor way of doing it. I think it would be better to have the rare materials spawn as ores far, far below ground (say a kilometer or so) and only be mineable by advanced equipment. Research should require a lab of NPC scientists, that don't actually do anything but look many, many times cooler than a magic block.
Third, hangars. No no no no no. That is not how hangars should work, not in any way. I don't think hangars should be a special module or whatever—just make fighters in such a way that it's not practical to have them in a space less than a few hundred blocks long (requiring a long period to slow down when entering a ship would do that). And I don't like them not being player-controllable. Yes, I hear you about the heavy fighters, but in fact there are people who would want to be snubfighter jockeys, and probably more of them that would be willing to be Crewmember #11 on a dreadnaught.
Fourth, ships seem alternatively too small and too large. I think three players is too many for a frigate; there won't be enough players to have fleets of them that way. But twelve is too few for a dreadnaught; we have thousand-block long ships here. I don't think there's really a good way to to dreadnoughts in terms of crew size unless you vastly increase the number of NPCs. Twelve players could control a dreadnaught if they had three hundred NPCs to help them, but not with only twenty.
I had more to say but now I can't remember it.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 am

joykler wrote:will we get some of our ships on templates
...?

You can use minerals you find as templates for extractors to draw that material out of the rock.

Blueprints are the product of using Research Blocks to sorta 'examine' minerals you put in, and basically once put in a special slot in a crafting table it creates a 'ghost' of the recipe, but you cannot actually make it unless the blueprints are in that slot during crafting.

.schematic files of your ships could be imported into your shipyards and built provided you have the materials, but your ships won't randomly spawn around the world, if that's what you're inquiring.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:I'm not loving these ideas.

Oh dear.

First, the cores do too much. They're just part of a ship. There's no logical reason for them to be tied into research and extraction. Likewise, I don't think they should be the power cores.

Ship Cores aren't 'tied to research and extraction', the Analyzer functionality is just like the inventory crafting table - once you have dedicated blocks like workbenches, or in this case the Extractor, it will only see use rarely when such blocks are not available - just like its counterpart in vanilla Minecraft. The fact that they also serve as a power core makes sense to me because both block's functionalities can easily be combined into one, omnipotent item you'll use throughout the game - the Core. And that's what's going to be literally powering and making your ship move, so it's gonna have to be well protected.

Second, I don't like researchers and extractors just being magic blocks that do the work. That's a poor way of doing it. I think it would be better to have the rare materials spawn as ores far, far below ground (say a kilometer or so) and only be mineable by advanced equipment. Research should require a lab of NPC scientists, that don't actually do anything but look many, many times cooler than a magic block.

Naw, that'd be fairly difficult to code and throw in mining equipment that'd be useless outside of getting your initial ores. Futurecraft shouldn't even resemble one of those lackluster mods with one bajillion ores, ain't fun. NPCs could expedite the process by automating it a lot more, but this system allows solitary players to be able to do research on their lonesome as well.

Third, hangars. No no no no no. That is not how hangars should work, not in any way. I don't think hangars should be a special module or whatever—just make fighters in such a way that it's not practical to have them in a space less than a few hundred blocks long (requiring a long period to slow down when entering a ship would do that). And I don't like them not being player-controllable. Yes, I hear you about the heavy fighters, but in fact there are people who would want to be snubfighter jockeys, and probably more of them that would be willing to be Crewmember #11 on a dreadnaught.

Make fighter entities craftable so people can fly them down the hangar as well, that should suffice for subtlety making them practically required to be actual landing pads. Hangar modules should remain for NPC fighters, though, that would provide a spiffy way of enforcing authenticity with swarms of fighters going all over the place shooting stuff up. That actually seems like the only practical way to go about doing it, really.

Fourth, ships seem alternatively too small and too large. I think three players is too many for a frigate; there won't be enough players to have fleets of them that way. But twelve is too few for a dreadnaught; we have thousand-block long ships here. I don't think there's really a good way to to dreadnoughts in terms of crew size unless you vastly increase the number of NPCs. Twelve players could control a dreadnaught if they had three hundred NPCs to help them, but not with only twenty.

Three hundred NPCS? Are you daft? Do you have ANY idea how much lag even fifty mobs in vanilla MC can create for the underpowered PC demographic Futurecraft is trying to cater to? Anyway, three players is a perfect number for a frigate, and they can even be slaved up to to player controlled ships as AI vessels if need be. NPCs would just be mainly for looks, their entities would spawn upon activating a vessel, but wouldn't have that much of a role in the day-to-day running of the ship. Most of a craft's functions would be controlled via control panels that NPCs could interact with, but not actually affect in any serious manner.

And 12 players is the population of the average Minecraft server. Mind you, this isn't a 'set' number, it's not like the ship won't launch unless twelve people on board, but twelve would be the recommended amount of crewmembers to regulate all subsystems effectively. Unless there are fifteen more logistical modules, you're not going to need upwards of 12 peeps manning the biggest ship in the game, though certainly no one would stop you from having more.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Tiel wrote:

Oh dear.

Yes, indeed.

Ship Cores aren't 'tied to research and extraction', the Analyzer functionality is just like the inventory crafting table - once you have dedicated blocks like workbenches, or in this case the Extractor, it will only see use rarely when such blocks are not available - just like its counterpart in vanilla Minecraft. The fact that they also serve as a power core makes sense to me because both block's functionalities can easily be combined into one, omnipotent item you'll use throughout the game - the Core. And that's what's going to be literally powering and making your ship move, so it's gonna have to be well protected.

But it doesn't make any sense for it to be one omnipotent item. What is a Core, really? Is it the ship's computer? It makes sense for Steve to have a built-in crafting table--he can make stuff with his hands. It doesn't make sense for the ship's computer to be able to pull rare minerals out of rocks, because that has nothing to do with its job, which is running a ship. I have less problem with them acting as a power core, because that's directly tied into what they're supposed to do, although I think it would be a cooler mechanic to have a separate generator.

Naw, that'd be fairly difficult to code and throw in mining equipment that'd be useless outside of getting your initial ores. Futurecraft shouldn't even resemble one of those lackluster mods with one bajillion ores, ain't fun. NPCs could expedite the process by automating it a lot more, but this system allows solitary players to be able to do research on their lonesome as well.

Futurecraft likewise shouldn't resemble one of those lackluster mods that add nothing but a bunch of magical blocks that do stuff for you. That's the only thing that I disliked about Indrustrialcraft back when I played it (Which was, like, two years ago, so I have no idea what it's like now). Everything you did came down to taking your stuff and dropping it into a Macerator (one block), and then putting it into a Compressor (one block), and then into one of those advanced furnace things (one block), all of which are powered by a Waterwheel (one block), or a Solar Panel (one block), or a Wind Generator (one block), etc, etc. Nearly everything the mod had involved putting stuff into a series of mostly identical single, magic blocks, that did whatever it was for you. That's Better Than Wolves's huge strength, IMO--it favors huge, multiblock contraptions that are an engineering challenge to build. Ultimately a 19x17x12 Better Than Wolves kiln accomplishes the same thing as a 1x1x1 Industrialcraft autofurnace, but it makes more sense, looks much better, and is much more fun to build and design with. That's what Futurecraft ought to be. A laboratory with NPC scientists accomplishes the same thing as a single magic research block, but also makes sense in the context of the game, and is cool to build and look at. I'm not suggesting that you add any ores that you're not already planning to add, I'm suggesting that rather than getting your initial small quantities by a weird magic-y method, you do it by mining. I can't imagine that this would be any more difficult to code (if anything less; mining already exists and extractors don't), and the mining equipment is going to be added for the asteroids anyway, and I don't see what about my system prevents solitary players from doing research.

Make fighter entities craftable so people can fly them down the hangar as well, that should suffice for subtlety making them practically required to be actual landing pads. Hangar modules should remain for NPC fighters, though, that would provide a spiffy way of enforcing authenticity with swarms of fighters going all over the place shooting stuff up. That actually seems like the only practical way to go about doing it, really.

Having starfighters appearing out of a mob spawner is an awfully odd way of claiming authenticity. There shouldn't be anything special about a hangar that requires it to be a module. It's just a big room with doors at one end. It doesn't have complicated stuff associated with it in the same way engines or sensors do. Fighters should be produced at a factory (probably a shipyard, although obviously not the same way as a ship) and loaded onto their ships. It doesn't make any sense to have them just spawn in the hangar. That's magic, and we're trying to avoid magic. It doesn't make any sense.

Three hundred NPCS? Are you daft? Do you have ANY idea how much lag even fifty mobs in vanilla MC can create for the underpowered PC demographic Futurecraft is trying to cater to? Anyway, three players is a perfect number for a frigate, and they can even be slaved up to to player controlled ships as AI vessels if need be. NPCs would just be mainly for looks, their entities would spawn upon activating a vessel, but wouldn't have that much of a role in the day-to-day running of the ship. Most of a craft's functions would be controlled via control panels that NPCs could interact with, but not actually affect in any serious manner.

How do you expect to run a kilometer-long ship with 32 people? An ImpStar has a crew of 37,085. That's longer than a kilometer, of course, but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. A crew of three hundred is incredibly low for the size of ship we're dealing with here. Expecting it to be done by that few people is insane.

And 12 players is the population of the average Minecraft server. Mind you, this isn't a 'set' number, it's not like the ship won't launch unless twelve people on board, but twelve would be the recommended amount of crewmembers to regulate all subsystems effectively. Unless there are fifteen more logistical modules, you're not going to need upwards of 12 peeps manning the biggest ship in the game, though certainly no one would stop you from having more.
I have no objection to the number of players. I think you'll have a hard time getting twelve people to do it as it is. The problem is that the number of NPCs is ridiculously low.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm

In my opinion, NPC's should be an option, unlike the necessity your portraying them to be. An example of why people might not want NPC's is the Guide from Terraria, people HATED this guy! Always opening doors, letting zombies in you little mud hut. Another point for NPC's being optional/more-complex is LJS's position of "we don't want magic!". The way I understand it right now, NPC's show up from nowhere the moment you activate your ship's core for the first time. There needs to be a system of acquiring these NPC's, like kidnaping them from a NPC village, or cloning yourself.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Dux_Tell31 wrote:In my opinion, NPC's should be an option, unlike the necessity your portraying them to be. An example of why people might not want NPC's is the Guide from Terraria, people HATED this guy! Always opening doors, letting zombies in you little mud hut. Another point for NPC's being optional/more-complex is LJS's position of "we don't want magic!". The way I understand it right now, NPC's show up from nowhere the moment you activate your ship's core for the first time. There needs to be a system of acquiring these NPC's, like kidnaping them from a NPC village, or cloning yourself.
Cities fix everything.
Except your grammar.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Calm down ladies.

Jedi, I'm still in the process of responding to your post.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tiel wrote:

Oh dear.

Yes, indeed.

But it doesn't make any sense for it to be one omnipotent item. What is a Core, really? Is it the ship's computer? It makes sense for Steve to have a built-in crafting table--he can make stuff with his hands. It doesn't make sense for the ship's computer to be able to pull rare minerals out of rocks, because that has nothing to do with its job, which is running a ship. I have less problem with them acting as a power core, because that's directly tied into what they're supposed to do, although I think it would be a cooler mechanic to have a separate generator.

Separate generators are in play that constitute crucial components, CTRL+F on my research paper with the words 'auxiliary'. I see the Core block as being the catalyst of everything Futurecraft is to be, therefore it'd be this strange technological contraption that can do these things. But I will think of an alternative.

Futurecraft likewise shouldn't resemble one of those lackluster mods that add nothing but a bunch of magical blocks that do stuff for you. That's the only thing that I disliked about Indrustrialcraft back when I played it (Which was, like, two years ago, so I have no idea what it's like now). Everything you did came down to taking your stuff and dropping it into a Macerator (one block), and then putting it into a Compressor (one block), and then into one of those advanced furnace things (one block), all of which are powered by a Waterwheel (one block), or a Solar Panel (one block), or a Wind Generator (one block), etc, etc. Nearly everything the mod had involved putting stuff into a series of mostly identical single, magic blocks, that did whatever it was for you. That's Better Than Wolves's huge strength, IMO--it favors huge, multiblock contraptions that are an engineering challenge to build. Ultimately a 19x17x12 Better Than Wolves kiln accomplishes the same thing as a 1x1x1 Industrialcraft autofurnace, but it makes more sense, looks much better, and is much more fun to build and design with. That's what Futurecraft ought to be. A laboratory with NPC scientists accomplishes the same thing as a single magic research block, but also makes sense in the context of the game, and is cool to build and look at. I'm not suggesting that you add any ores that you're not already planning to add, I'm suggesting that rather than getting your initial small quantities by a weird magic-y method, you do it by mining. I can't imagine that this would be any more difficult to code (if anything less; mining already exists and extractors don't), and the mining equipment is going to be added for the asteroids anyway, and I don't see what about my system prevents solitary players from doing research.

Okay, yes, yes I see your point. Look, I'm not a fan of the way Redpower and IC do it, but that seems like the most feasible way of going about it. Think about it from a practibility standpoint - before you go into space, where are you going to get NPCs to man the research station that will enable you to do so in the first place? Perhaps we can reach a compromise. Having more ores beneath diamond layer and somehow more powerful than it just breaks MC's traditional gameplay...though the concept of breaking bedrock with a BTW-esque contraption sounds pretty cool.

Maybe have a 'Drill' entity that has the capacity to destroy bedrock if deployed properly, though it functions fine in the way of automating basic mining. Increasing tiers of the contraption break the blocks faster, including admintium. From there the player can snatch at the valuables embedded below the 'impenetrable' bedrock layer (that can actually also be pierced by plasma weaponry and the cruise missiles of the Heavy weapon type, just to make sieges actually winnable) which consists of extremely spongy terrains, with networks of caves composing 90% of the region's mass. The generator for these chunks would go out of its way to put streams and pools of magma everywhere; one bad move can leave the player burning alive. But, Titanium and Strontium ore would spawn naturally down here, and the lava can be put through a refinery device to get crocite. The Refinery item would act identically to the Extractor called for in the original idea, but as you say, it would be much more enjoyable to construct and tweak to one's liking.

From there, you can make a research station: Console blocks, test tubes, microscopes, and a container full of items ready for experimentation would comprise one's options for creating a tidy lab, though these must be in proximity to an Auxiliary power generator or a power node in order to be charged. When the two key components are charged (container and console block with research preset), an NPC will spawn to watch over everything and generate blueprints for use in the VANILLA WORKBENCH. Test tubes and microscopes, while not entirely necessary, will expedite the progress of a project if they are detected within the vicinity.

Having starfighters appearing out of a mob spawner is an awfully odd way of claiming authenticity. There shouldn't be anything special about a hangar that requires it to be a module. It's just a big room with doors at one end. It doesn't have complicated stuff associated with it in the same way engines or sensors do. Fighters should be produced at a factory (probably a shipyard, although obviously not the same way as a ship) and loaded onto their ships. It doesn't make any sense to have them just spawn in the hangar. That's magic, and we're trying to avoid magic. It doesn't make any sense.

The thing is, nobody is going to mass-manufacture dozens of fighters for the purpose of a disposable damage-buff that a squadron of NPC pilots essentially are. Perhaps the TerraFirmaCraft method could be introduced - a structure of certain blocks in the shape of an open prism with a console in back hooked up to the Core or Aux. Generator would spawn the fighter mobs with the explanation that when given a steady flow of power, the blocks in question can fabricate ships which your NPC pilots man. To increase the realism of this, when a hangar module is constructed, NPC pilots will spawn around it and randomly mill around the surrounding area. (Only God fr0st knows where they come from, though) Could also say they're drones, but that could be an upgraded variant of the module that consumes less power from your ship.

How do you expect to run a kilometer-long ship with 32 people? An ImpStar has a crew of 37,085. That's longer than a kilometer, of course, but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. A crew of three hundred is incredibly low for the size of ship we're dealing with here. Expecting it to be done by that few people is insane.

I have no objection to the number of players. I think you'll have a hard time getting twelve people to do it as it is. The problem is that the number of NPCs is ridiculously low.

A one thousand block long ship moving with a mod like Zeppelin is not pretty when it's possible. A one thousand block long ship with three hundred NPCs aboard is a nightmare, all those entities have to be loaded at once on account of the way Zep (and I assume Copernicus) handles actually making the vessel into something usable. The maximum of NPCs on any ship should not break thirty; even if fr0st's new engine makes all of this playable for even Intel Atom users, it would be wise to keep things low until it can be seen to what extent it defies the unpossible, at which point an update can up the count allowed.

As I said, a dreadnought's power core is such that you could feasibly operate all logistics modules simultaneously, but with all of them able to be controlled from the bridge the minimum needed would hover around twelve. While you claim to have a NASA supercomputer, some of us aren't so fortunate :P Such an aesthetic like NPCs should be the lowest priority when it comes to maximizing performance.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Tiel wrote:

Oh dear.

Yes, indeed.

Separate generators are in play that constitute crucial components, CTRL+F on my research paper with the words 'auxiliary'. I see the Core block as being the catalyst of everything Futurecraft is to be, therefore it'd be this strange technological contraption that can do these things. But I will think of an alternative.

Okay, yes, yes I see your point. Look, I'm not a fan of the way Redpower and IC do it, but that seems like the most feasible way of going about it. Think about it from a practibility standpoint - before you go into space, where are you going to get NPCs to man the research station that will enable you to do so in the first place? Perhaps we can reach a compromise. Having more ores beneath diamond layer and somehow more powerful than it just breaks MC's traditional gameplay...though the concept of breaking bedrock with a BTW-esque contraption sounds pretty cool.

Maybe have a 'Drill' entity that has the capacity to destroy bedrock if deployed properly, though it functions fine in the way of automating basic mining. Increasing tiers of the contraption break the blocks faster, including admintium. From there the player can snatch at the valuables embedded below the 'impenetrable' bedrock layer (that can actually also be pierced by plasma weaponry and the cruise missiles of the Heavy weapon type, just to make sieges actually winnable) which consists of extremely spongy terrains, with networks of caves composing 90% of the region's mass. The generator for these chunks would go out of its way to put streams and pools of magma everywhere; one bad move can leave the player burning alive. But, Titanium and Strontium ore would spawn naturally down here, and the lava can be put through a refinery device to get crocite. The Refinery item would act identically to the Extractor called for in the original idea, but as you say, it would be much more enjoyable to construct and tweak to one's liking.

From there, you can make a research station: Console blocks, test tubes, microscopes, and a container full of items ready for experimentation would comprise one's options for creating a tidy lab, though these must be in proximity to an Auxiliary power generator or a power node in order to be charged. When the two key components are charged (container and console block with research preset), an NPC will spawn to watch over everything and generate blueprints for use in the VANILLA WORKBENCH. Test tubes and microscopes, while not entirely necessary, will expedite the progress of a project if they are detected within the vicinity.

Ooh. That's good. I support that kind of research completely.

The thing is, nobody is going to mass-manufacture dozens of fighters for the purpose of a disposable damage-buff that a squadron of NPC pilots essentially are. Perhaps the TerraFirmaCraft method could be introduced - a structure of certain blocks in the shape of an open prism with a console in back hooked up to the Core or Aux. Generator would spawn the fighter mobs with the explanation that when given a steady flow of power, the blocks in question can fabricate ships which your NPC pilots man. To increase the realism of this, when a hangar module is constructed, NPC pilots will spawn around it and randomly mill around the surrounding area. (Only God fr0st knows where they come from, though) Could also say they're drones, but that could be an upgraded variant of the module that consumes less power from your ship.

So, maybe a compromise. I say fighters should be built in a factory, but that factory could itself be on a ship. In fact, that's what the hangar module could really be getting you--not the hangar itself, but rather a structure a bit larger than a fighter that contains a transmuter (or whatever we want to call it). When fed resources (iron, steel, electronics, whatever), the device will produce a fighter. You can then do whatever you want with the fighter: Fly it yourself, give it to an NPC pilot, move it to another ship, whatever. So a ship without a carrier module could still house some small number of fighters, because all you need for that is a big open space, but it would be unable to manufacture more when they get destroyed. That would also lead to cool things like redistributing surviving fighters after a battle to make sure none of your ships are left defenseless.

In a perfect world, you'd have to get NPC pilots from some sort of flight training facility. I'm not sure how practical that is, though. Although the 'flight training facility' could really just be a room near the hangar that pilots spawn in and not actually anything special at all. Actually, that would work for a lot of things. Soldiers spawn in barracks. That's magic, but it's an accepted game mechanic and is standard in a lot of places, so it's probably workable.

A one thousand block long ship moving with a mod like Zeppelin is not pretty when it's possible. A one thousand block long ship with three hundred NPCs aboard is a nightmare, all those entities have to be loaded at once on account of the way Zep (and I assume Copernicus) handles actually making the vessel into something usable. The maximum of NPCs on any ship should not break thirty; even if fr0st's new engine makes all of this playable for even Intel Atom users, it would be wise to keep things low until it can be seen to what extent it defies the unpossible, at which point an update can up the count allowed.

As I said, a dreadnought's power core is such that you could feasibly operate all logistics modules simultaneously, but with all of them able to be controlled from the bridge the minimum needed would hover around twelve. While you claim to have a NASA supercomputer, some of us aren't so fortunate :P Such an aesthetic like NPCs should be the lowest priority when it comes to maximizing performance.

I hear the bit about performance. My computer isn't as good as all that, but it's sufficient for Minecraft (although not for Planetside 2). I'm saying that from a game continuity perspective, dreadnaughts should have a crew of hundreds at the very least, and thousands would be better. But if that's not possible, it's not possible. However, comparing Copernicus to Zeppelin is a bit off. We're not doing the same thing at all. Ships in Zeppelin are 1 entity/block. Ships in Futurecraft will be one entity/ship. That means a FC ship with three hundred NPCs should work as well as a 15x4x5 ship in Zeppelin, which is not very big at all.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

NPCs are not comparable to Zeppelin blocks. They have way more expensive ticks. Don't count on being able to host a ridiculous amount of them until we have benchmarks backing that up.

And fighters and other vehicles should be assembled from parts, not spawned.

There's a bunch of other stuff in there, too, but I am tired and I still have a lot of work to do, so it will have to wait.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:NPCs are not comparable to Zeppelin blocks. They have way more expensive ticks. Don't count on being able to host a ridiculous amount of them until we have benchmarks backing that up.

And fighters and other vehicles should be assembled from parts, not spawned.

There's a bunch of other stuff in there, too, but I am tired and I still have a lot of work to do, so it will have to wait.
You'll have to re-read the OP, I can't remember what it said previously but I edited it following Jedi's post. It should say that crafting is an option for fighters.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:48 am

I thought I already replied to this topic....

Anyway, I have a few points:

1- Cores shouldn't work like that. Cores should be energy-production units, ranging in power and fuels. They should have a constant output, that you consume with the devices aboard your ship. No weapon slots. This way, you can have a ship with more weapons and less engines, or one with more shields, or whatever. Also, this will mean that ship classifications are builder-dependent, and not universal.

2- I like the research ideas, but I distinctly remember writing "no crocite". Additionally, the cores shouldn't be a part of the research process, no matter how small. That's like using an anvil to cook things with, it just doesn't make sense. No, we need to be able to craft/use a separate method of research in the beginning.

3- The shipyards are designed to make building easier, not harder. We want people to build ships easily, otherwise the game will be too hard. A shipyard should be able to take a design and build it much faster than a human, with no wasted costs.

4- Hangars. This idea will ruin the use of launch tubes, and is rather slightly physically impossible. The main restriction to the carrying capacity of a ship should be space available, not power. I think fighters should be crafted (with customizable colours (and perhaps weapons/armor later in development) to suit your style), then simply park within a carrier ship (assuming this is easy to code. If not, a simpler suggestion is welcome). There should also be "tracks" for fighters to run along inside ships, to avoid interior collisions. I have no idea how fighters should land, any suggestions are welcome.

5- Your suggestions for factions and sever-stuff are all feasible, however, I did want planets to have more internal cohesion, not split into several factions. That being said, the "pride" concept is one of merit, perhaps you might like to suggest it to the Bukkit Dev-Team for their faction plug-ins. I'd need to re-read this section before making any further judgement.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:39 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:I thought I already replied to this topic....

Anyway, I have a few points:

1- Cores shouldn't work like that. Cores should be energy-production units, ranging in power and fuels. They should have a constant output, that you consume with the devices aboard your ship. No weapon slots. This way, you can have a ship with more weapons and less engines, or one with more shields, or whatever. Also, this will mean that ship classifications are builder-dependent, and not universal.

Cores should be more like a ship's computer. Power would be handled by reactors and generators.

2- I like the research ideas, but I distinctly remember writing "no crocite". Additionally, the cores shouldn't be a part of the research process, no matter how small. That's like using an anvil to cook things with, it just doesn't make sense. No, we need to be able to craft/use a separate method of research in the beginning.

I've always liked the idea of NPC scientists.

3- The shipyards are designed to make building easier, not harder. We want people to build ships easily, otherwise the game will be too hard. A shipyard should be able to take a design and build it much faster than a human, with no wasted costs.

4- Hangars. This idea will ruin the use of launch tubes, and is rather slightly physically impossible. The main restriction to the carrying capacity of a ship should be space available, not power. I think fighters should be crafted (with customizable colours (and perhaps weapons/armor later in development to suit your style), then simply park within a carrier ship (assuming this is easy to code. If not, a simpler suggestion is welcome). There should also be "tracks" for fighters to run along inside ships, to avoid interior collisions. I have no idea how fighters should land, any suggestions are welcome.

Fighters shouldn't be crafted in a table like in Flan's. Maybe the parts would be craftable, then the parts could be assembled or materials could be placed in a factory that automatically produces fighters.

5- Your suggestions for factions and sever-stuff are all feasible, however, I did want planets to have more internal cohesion, not split into several factions. That being said, the "pride" concept is one of merit, perhaps you might like to suggest it to the Bukkit Dev-Team for their faction plug-ins. I'd need to re-read this section before making any further judgement.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 am

War of the text walls. Worst movie ever, but it had a lot of writing behind it.