Solar Server Systems

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Re: Solar Server Systems

Post by cats » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Could we have manual terraforming? Just take a mining ship, strip the surface, then lay it back down as you want it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:58 pm

For the most part, terraforming only consists of changing the atmosphere, ecology, and climate of a planet to make it habitable for humans. What you are describing sounds more like landscaping.

Also yeah, we can probably do something along those lines if it is localized.

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 am

Frs0tbyte, keep the main thing the main thing. No.1 habit of highly effective people. We need to get this mod done, and having realistic biomes and planets isn't necessary. It'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but if it will take longer than a few hours to code, you're better off finishing the render pipeline/ whatever you're working on at the time.
This is a signature.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:54 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Frs0tbyte, keep the main thing the main thing. No.1 habit of highly effective people.
xD

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:Frs0tbyte, keep the main thing the main thing. No.1 habit of highly effective people.
xD
xD?
This is a signature.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
xD
xD?
the emoticon says "rofl", but it looks more like "OMG, why?!"
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Both interpretations work in this case.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 pm

Terraforming could mean the shaping of the landscape (terrain forming) or the shaping of an entire world, including the hydrosphere, atmosphere and geosphere (Earth forming). Either could be used to literally define terraforming. Would it be possible to change the entire atmosphere of a planet in FC?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm going to say no, for the reason that most of the planet is not loaded at any given time, and propagating anything that would physically affect the environment would be difficult to update on the fly. There are ways to do it, if necessary, but I would rather avoid it.

Alternatively, we could try regenerating the planet with different parameters, like turning a baren rocky planet into one with vegetation and water. The downside here is that stuff already on the surface will probably be lost, unless we go really far out of our way to preserve it.

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Argonian
IGN:TinkerPox

Post by TinkerPox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I'm going to say no, for the reason that most of the planet is not loaded at any given time, and propagating anything that would physically affect the environment would be difficult to update on the fly. There are ways to do it, if necessary, but I would rather avoid it.

Alternatively, we could try regenerating the planet with different parameters, like turning a baren rocky planet into one with vegetation and water. The downside here is that stuff already on the surface will probably be lost, unless we go really far out of our way to preserve it.
You could just have the server load it,

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

The problem is that there is no easy way of determining what parts need to stay and what parts can go. Imagine you have a domed colony and you terraform the outside, and this time the server wants to grow trees. No trees should be growing inside the colony, but to the server, they are all just blocks. We have to go to extra lengths to specify exactly what can be changed and what needs to stay the same, and it will vary depending on the nature of the changes. Like I said, it's not impossible, but it will be a lot of effort, and I don't really want to mess with it unless this becomes a core game mechanic.

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TinkerPox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:07 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:The problem is that there is no easy way of determining what parts need to stay and what parts can go. Imagine you have a domed colony and you terraform the outside, and this time the server wants to grow trees. No trees should be growing inside the colony, but to the server, they are all just blocks. We have to go to extra lengths to specify exactly what can be changed and what needs to stay the same, and it will vary depending on the nature of the changes. Like I said, it's not impossible, but it will be a lot of effort, and I don't really want to mess with it unless this becomes a core game mechanic.
Possibly End-game feature? So player can build on other worlds as to keep busy or just a secret base

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Or just have it as part of the lore. "Sure you can terraform your planet, but it'll destroy all your cities. What did you expect? You're reconstructing the entire surface of the planet, for goodness's sake. It'll destroy everything."
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

TinkerPox
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TinkerPox » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:Or just have it as part of the lore. "Sure you can terraform your planet, but it'll destroy all your cities. What did you expect? You're reconstructing the entire surface of the planet, for goodness's sake. It'll destroy everything."
Not in ALiens....

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:53 pm

If Stanley Kubrick wants to code the terraforming, then he can. Otheriwse it's just poor old Fr0stbyte doing everything, and Fr0stbyte says, "idontwanna".
Spoiler:
:(