joys armor idea

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: joys armor idea

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm

joykler wrote:sorry if im mistaken but i think you dont get the point borg ships wouldnt be usefull
because every layer behind the first layer would receive 70 % of the damage
not that each layer gives damage to the one behind
no to the 30 behind so thick armor plating wouldnt help
only the second layer would help but then we are talking about an layer that nees one or two shots to be destroyd

my version would help because
it would help because you wouldnt have to destroy a ship block by block
you dont need to cover it with new full blocks
and you wouldnt be shooting on a fully functional ship until it suddenly just breaks
the players inside have time for reparations
or closing of rooms to minimize pressure loss
small fighter ships wouldnt have to have an energy shield
but can just be equipped with light plating
and with large holes that can be made in the exterior you could have small fighters fly in and wreak havoc from the inside out

and maybe against the lagg you could make it not one tiel but you could have diffrent sizes thus minimizing lagg while fighting an dreadnaught
the bigger tiles would have more hp but it would work the same for tiles around it
so you could cover bigger surfaces with less diffrent entities

and this would be way more flexible in ways of weight
armor strength
and defence because you could arm important spots better than others
i suggest that you would read it more carefull
because exept the lagg problem
i think my idea would work

1.) Stop writing your stuff like it´s a poem.
2.) Please more grammar. I had a really bad time reading this.
3.) As already said, making every block an entity as your concept would require will produce lags to a point where a professional premium server won´t be able to handle more than 10 people.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 pm

and as i said you can make large amounts of tiles into one tile

like on the sides that are flat you can have tiles of 9x9

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 pm

When Ivan needs to correct you on your grammar... xD

Though you're foreign, so completely understandable.

I'm in favor of the 98% shields myself. While armor would be a nice dynamic, it doesn't look like there's a way to pull it off feasibly. Shields would simplify things a lot when it comes to designing gameplay, and it would make all these fancy schmancy ships on the forum actually practical.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 pm

no i would like shields aswell
but as an important addition not the whole defence

and an shield generator with energy generators and stabelizers doesnt fit in all ships
i think an shield generator can weaken or completely absorb an enemy's beam but when it fails or if you dont have any you need hull
or if you crash into things an energy shield wont absorb it

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:44 pm

The problem with shields only is that it takes some variety from the game. You won't think about the layout of your plating, you won't go to fix hull breaches (because a hull breach means the shields are down and you probably fall apart). The torpedoes and bombers become pointless (In most models the torpedo's strength over other weapons is that they pass through shields. In this case it is either insta death or if the torpedoes collide with shields it means they need to be unrealistically powerful and takes out variety again). Also having different kinds of defence promotes combining weapons (depending on efficiency vs something). Overall it provides more gameplay choices.

Also I'm not sure it will give talent to , well bad builders. It's like the houses on other minecraft servers. Some are good, some are bad , this is the game - everyone and their own style for good or bad. While those things prevent deliberate building of borg cubes it won't add building skill which will be the main reason for bad ship designs. For those deliberate cube builders even a weight system prevents it - bigger multi-layered hull needs bigger engines and those need better core which is bigger so the armor can't get thick enough inside the cube and the cube expands and again weight problems and so building that cube is impossible (and also impractical - it is cost inefficient to protect all areas like that and increase your hit box in the same time while ruining manoeuvrability and speed)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Your words have some merit. But I people will still build Borg cubes even if there is a weight limit, as it will only mean drastically decreased acceleration.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm with Iv on this one. Shields should be an important part, sure, but not 98% of a ship's defense. People will build Borg cubes, but so what? People will also build giant floating penises and they will be promptly destroyed by the moderator fleet, if such a thing exists.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:37 pm

hello but with my idea a borg like system wouldnt work because the second layer would receive a lot of damage upon impact
plus with my idea torpedoes and bombs would have a devastating effect
cause they deal damage to the seperate tiles that inturn would divert it to eachother so you would get splintering effect what would look real nice

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm

joykler wrote:hello but with my idea a borg like system wouldnt work because the second layer would receive a lot of damage upon impact
plus with my idea torpedoes and bombs would have a devastating effect
cause they deal damage to the seperate tiles that inturn would divert it to eachother so you would get splintering effect what would look real nice
again, no.
your idea causes too much lag.
fr0st is doing everything he can to solve the problem of lag currently present in MC and your idea will just replace FPS-lag with TPS-lag.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 pm

A little bit of distribution won't hurt from a per-tick standpoint, but the main issue here is to avoid punishing people who want to prioritize aesthetics. Some will want to do blocky 40K armor tanks, and that is fine, but some might want to do more elegant designs like Covenant cruisers, with holes and sticky-outy bits. If we do a block-only damage algorithm, that's not going to be a fair matchup, since Covenant ships don't armor tank.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:A little bit of distribution won't hurt from a per-tick standpoint, but the main issue here is to avoid punishing people who want to prioritize aesthetics. Some will want to do blocky 40K armor tanks, and that is fine, but some might want to do more elegant designs like Covenant cruisers, with holes and sticky-outy bits. If we do a block-only damage algorithm, that's not going to be a fair matchup, since Covenant ships don't armor tank.
Covie ships shield tank, which is exactly what Mackeroth is talking about. So perhaps you can have either really strong armor or really strong shields, but not both, and they're functionally equivalent. That lets you go any way you want to.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Really strong armor- Armor takes up too much space for a big shield system

Really strong shields- Shield generators prevent thick armor due to size constraints.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

You all might be on to something here. Only what about using a different formula for calculating shield tanking and armor tankng, so that you can decide which better suits your design? Armor would actually be based physically on how armor you have on your hull, while shield is based on other factors which are mostly internal.
Armor might also interfere with shield output, as it needs to be able to block energy weapons, makes sense that this would go both ways.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Shield is simpler.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 pm

This is Futurecraft, Keon. We can't do anything simple.