Aircraft Carriers?

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder
Re: Aircraft Carriers?

Post by Tunnelthunder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I think we is being trololololol-ed

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I like this guy...

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 pm

1. Double post
2. "An aircraft is a machine that is able to fly by gaining support from the air, or, in general, the atmosphere of a planet" -Wikipedia. This does not apply to space fighters.
3. Futurecraft isn't exclusively a space mod. It covers many fields.

Side note on boats and the long dev phase:
I'm a supporter of a long development phase in FC. A server starts out in the equivalent of the stone age and works its way up to a space-faring civilization. This dev phase not only serves as a tutorial period for players, but also allows organized governments to form and the evolution of infrastructure. Sea ships would be an important part of this as civilization grows and explores a planet's surface. They would also serve to ferry resources across oceans and move NPCs from place to place.

E: This was suppose to be up there.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm

catsonmeth wrote:1. Double post
2. "An aircraft is a machine that is able to fly by gaining support from the air, or, in general, the atmosphere of a planet" -Wikipedia. This does not apply to space fighters.
3. Futurecraft isn't exclusively a space mod. It covers many fields.

Side note on boats and the long dev phase:
I'm a supporter of a long development phase in FC. A server starts out in the equivalent of the stone age and works its way up to a space-faring civilization. This dev phase not only serves as a tutorial period for players, but also allows organized governments to form and the evolution of infrastructure. Sea ships would be an important part of this as civilization grows and explores a planet's surface. They would also serve to ferry resources across oceans and move NPCs from place to place.

E: This was suppose to be up there.
Maybe aircraft carriers can be part of a late update, but FC is all about space.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 pm

I have mixed thoughts on the long dev idea. On the one side, it would be interesting to see, but on the other this mod is already going to be huge, and I'm not really keen on spending a bunch of time on what will essentially be stepping stones.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I have mixed thoughts on the long dev idea. On the one side, it would be interesting to see, but on the other this mod is already going to be huge, and I'm not really keen on spending a bunch of time on what will essentially be stepping stones.
It's a mod named Futurecraft. People will tech hard until they get to the future. There is no point in anything but future.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 am

Again catsonmeth you are going too ambitious, you might just end up like those guys building a parallel universe ... Planetary combat is already over the top as I said countless times - we simply lack the resources to support it. Either this or space combat - up to you.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 am

Iv121 wrote:Again catsonmeth you are going too ambitious, you might just end up like those guys building a parallel universe ... Planetary combat is already over the top as I said countless times - we simply lack the resources to support it. Either this or space combat - up to you.
It's not up to cats.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 am

The plan was always to augment normal minecraft tech progression to the point where SPESS! being the next step would feel natural. Same with 32x texturepacks.

Did everyone get amnesia or..?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 am

Tiel wrote:The plan was always to augment normal minecraft tech progression to the point where SPESS! being the next step would feel natural. Same with 32x texturepacks.

Did everyone get amnesia or..?
Look, it took 3000 years or so from us to go from minecraft's building tech (Pyramids, raw iron, etc) to ours right now. We don't even have jump drives. How do you propose to do that in a way that it isn't boring to the player?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 am

Ask Mackeroth.

I'm just parroting the designs from the original plan for Futurecraft.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am

The original plan ... that thing on the old forums ? Its outdated like hell and I'll tell you the truth it doesn't sound as good as standard futurecraft either .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am

I guess now its a matter of can we make spaceships fly, and can we reduce lag to a minimum, everything else is secondary.

And for the record, we probably shouldn't bother with seafaring aircraft carriers, because skyfaring/spacefaring aircraft carriers are >9000x cooler.

Plus water dynamics is a b*tch, look at the zeppelin mod, and how well submarines work, or more importantly, how they don't.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am

We're going to hit the exact same problem because ships interactions are done through an entity. If you go underwater, you are physically in the water. If we can make being under water something abstract like we could for "is there air or not?" then we might have a shot, but the vanilla way won't cut it.

Also content may be secondary in priority to engine work, but the two are mostly unrelated now that we have a pretty good idea of the framework it'll work within.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 pm

@fr0st: There just needs to be enough material for, maybe, a week. That'll be enough time for servers to get on their feet and (I think) not too much strain on you and the other devs.
@Keon: There's plenty of reason for it, as I stated.
@Iv: It just wouldn't make sense to neglect planetary assault and defense. If we do, we might as well get rid of planets entirely. I don't think anyone wants that.

E: This post is really late.

More relevant to the present:
@Keon: Well, considering that you could make a great pyramid in less than a day if you had adequate materials...

Submarines wouldn't really be a large part of FC if they were included. Floating ships could be, and they don't have to go much under the surface, avoiding the need for special water thing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *