Temperature and Hydration

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Temperature and Hydration

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Could we maybe add in a temperature aspect of health? You'd have a little bar off to the side of your Health-O-Meter that displays your body heat. If it goes above or below a certain point, you begin to slowly lose health points. If it keeps dropping or rising, then you lose points more rapidly.

Related to the temperature is hydration. In vanilla MC, water only serves as a special building block. It should serve a greater purpose in FC. It would be similar to hunger in that you wouldn't regenerate your health without proper hydration, but would kill you if is empty for long enough.

Different biomes will have different effects on your temperature. Grasslands/plains would be around normal, Jungle and Desert would be slightly higher than normal, Tundra would be slightly colder, Polar wastes require heavily insulated coat, etc. There wold also be circumstances not directly related to a biome (fire and magma are really hot, a freezer would be very un-hot)

To counteract the heat/cold (and dehydration), there would be different articles of clothing. For a cool climate, you'd need a jacket. A robe or stillsuit would be useful in the desert.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Re: Temperature and Hydration

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 pm

This is a long way outside the scope of the mod.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 pm

We all know spaceships are a priority. Saying it's 'outside the scope' is really ludicrous at this point and only serves to put down potentially good ideas.

Clothes in Minecraft, instant-support.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Maybe later, we do want some kind of vacuum system though, that would require special suits or something, but I think that wa a brought up in the OP.

However, I like this idea, partly because I want a Metroid style Varia suit.

Verdict: it's not a bad idea, but it would come later.
Although I believe something similar has been done before (moods mod) so it's definitely possible.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Hydration is something that should be in FC, I feel that's a given. Temperature might exceed the threshold if it isn't done properly, but you shouldn't be able to survive on a polar ice cap for long without any clothing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *