Minecraft MMOs are already here

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Minecraft MMOs are already here

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Just found this today, take a look. It would seem we are not the only group interested in MMOs.

http://imgur.com/a/GpgMx
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... by_system/
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/bungee-cord/

The lobby system runs on vanilla minecraft clients by having every client connect to a single proxy server, which then talks to all the other servers (70, in this case). Since you never disconnect from the proxy, you have no idea where your traffic is coming from, nor does it matter. As a result, you can hop from server to server as quickly as if you teleported.

If you are wondering how these guys are hosting so much hardware and have so much bandwidth available that they can cloud out their MC operations, the answer is they throw a huge amount of money at it. But then again, they also make a ton of money from having a giant userbase and lots of donators.

Starting out, we should be able to make do with a shoe-string budget. Our servers will be a lot leaner and smarter than servers trying to get by with just plugins, and server jumping will be built into the client. Still, credit where credit is due, even with a big budget these guys have done something remarkable, and I hope it catches on.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Re: Minecraft MMOs are already here

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Maybe we can have optional adverts in the launcher, for extra cash for servers and such.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:26 am

Advertising is a good way to make money. Also, I remember in the past we discussed selling purely cosmetic items for Futurecraft. This must work to some extent, because Runescape just starting doing the same thing, and believe me, it is a good way to attract buyers.
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 am

I think it is possible to sell resources (not technologies but simply stuff to build your ship with. They will have to acquire technology on their own and so they don't get an edge over the others.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 am

And buying resources isn't providing and advantage?
This is a signature.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:42 am

It only means they won't have to dig them out themselves. It won't make the ship itself better, they have to research the technology just like the others.

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am

Iv121 wrote:It only means they won't have to dig them out themselves. It won't make the ship itself better, they have to research the technology just like the others.
If I could, I would veto this because in the end we'll probably get a ton of bad PR for this. Even if it doesn't provide that much of an advantage.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 pm

PR ?

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Public relations. It means the people with money will be able to spam ships while people sans money will have to work hard to get one poop-frigate that will get wrecked by the rich guys super-resource-armor Death Star that he payed for. It's the biggest problem with FTP-PTW(Free to play-Pay to Win)
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:01 pm

As I've told you it wont help him even a bit, probably save a bit of time but no more than that. What is the use of all the crap you bought if you don't know how to make a proper hull with it (I mean didn't unlock it with your tech tree). People won't get rare resources and get only raw resources so they have to process them by the level of technology they have. You can always have someone who understands in finances to figure it out, if not I gave you a few suggestions.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Just logged on to see Minez now has 3000 slots.

Ermahgerd.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 am

PR- what the layman thinks when his friend says "Hey, you know those FC guys? They charge you to get building stuff."
Then the other guy gets mad without forming a true opinion. Ads and donations are the way to go. Ads are okay, and there are plenty ways we could incorporate them (What is it? tinyurl or something? It gives you money per visit.)
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 am

Keon wrote:PR- what the layman thinks when his friend says "Hey, you know those FC guys? They charge you to get building stuff."
Then the other guy gets mad without forming a true opinion. Ads and donations are the way to go. Ads are okay, and there are plenty ways we could incorporate them (What is it? tinyurl or something? It gives you money per visit.)
Agreed, the best ways to get money off people is to take it without them noticing.
Also I don't think we can directly charge for our mod, seeing as it is a direct modification to minecraft, I know you have to pay for Gmod, but that is now a separate game which happens to use the source engine.

Or rob a bank, not that we should, just saying
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Prototype, I am assigning you will the role of bank robber. Let me know if you need any technical support.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:09 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:Prototype, I am assigning you will the role of bank robber. Let me know if you need any technical support.
You think you can deactivate the lasers? Or do I have to look like a moron trying to get past them.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler: