Mod: Meta-Structure

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
MineCrak
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:_MineCrak_
Re: Mod: Meta-Structure

Post by MineCrak » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:23 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I've been planning to do a steampunk content pack for the engine since before I joined futurecraft. Lighter-than-air vessels and floating islands and nothing but sky below. Wouldn't be a planet, though.
Nice!!

In fact, if you could do something like that then you could also make a content pack + Environment for simulating the Gaseous Nebula in the classic novel "Raft" where a human spaceship ends up in a parallel universe where the gravity constant is far greater than it is in our universe. They luck out and come through inside of that universes nearest equivalent of a galaxy, a tiny gaseous nebula full of quickly burnt out star kernals and an atmosphere with enough oxygen for the humans to survive in, though most of their ship was crushed by the gravity.

A gaseous nebula type of environment with an atmosphere could look much like the one you described. :) But travel too far in any direction and you could end up in space. ;) Unless it's an infinite, or large enough to seem infinite, atmospheric nebula. In any case it would be another awesome environment to play in!

Xeronos
Recruit
Recruit
IGN:Xeronos

Post by Xeronos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 pm

hey, just recently joined and haven't posted anything before, but I have been wondering if it would be possible to add ways for people to research down different paths that might lock them into a role in the community or such (yes this does have something to do with this topic). I don't mean anything like a chemist vs. a physicist(though that could be an interesting mechanic in and of itself if only for the fact that it would make server communities work together more or offer different servers special resources made available to different combinations researches which would give trading/invading [with] others more of a point than just to say "Mwahahaha SUCKERS!") . I am referring to the possibility of the mod branching out to more than the future of technology. For instance, what if I wanted to be a thaumaturge (like in thaumcraft) and have crystalline ships infused with magic flying through the skies. Or maybe lead a religion and gain boons and gifts from the gods for leading their people( imagine having paladins and such fighting for you with giant guardian creatures soaring through the skies and an entire flying city encased in a barrier from your sovereign god). Hell, what of the possibility for self evolution where you decide to say screw the books, I'm gonna go out and claim the power of the gods (become something like from dbz, or go a different route like maybe the zerg from starcraft). Just thought it it'd be interesting to see something like this. All paths should have advantages and disadvantages. And yes, I would love to see something like a battle between these very different forces.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Spoiler:
Xeronos wrote:[rainbow]hey, just recently joined and haven't posted anything before, but I have been wondering if it would be possible to add ways for people to research down different paths that might lock them into a role in the community or such (yes this does have something to do with this topic). I don't mean anything like a chemist vs. a physicist(though that could be an interesting mechanic in and of itself if only for the fact that it would make server communities work together more or offer different servers special resources made available to different combinations researches which would give trading/invading [with] others more of a point than just to say "Mwahahaha SUCKERS!") . I am referring to the possibility of the mod branching out to more than the future of technology. For instance, what if I wanted to be a thaumaturge (like in thaumcraft) and have crystalline ships infused with magic flying through the skies. Or maybe lead a religion and gain boons and gifts from the gods for leading their people( imagine having paladins and such fighting for you with giant guardian creatures soaring through the skies and an entire flying city encased in a barrier from your sovereign god). Hell, what of the possibility for self evolution where you decide to say screw the books, I'm gonna go out and claim the power of the gods (become something like from dbz, or go a different route like maybe the zerg from starcraft). Just thought it it'd be interesting to see something like this. All paths should have advantages and disadvantages. And yes, I would love to see something like a battle between these very different forces.[/rainbow]
Wrapped that up for you. Also rainbowed it for some reason.

First of all I have to say all magic is out. No magic, no gods (except for the moderators, operators, and admins of the universe, if there'll be any).

I had this idea too. FC will be really really complex. So many crafting recipes and roles to fill. Industrialization will have to be managed on a scale never before attempted by Minecraft. There needs to be someone designing ships, someone to fly them, crew, someone to manage cities and miners, scientists and explorers, settlers, farmers, businessmen, marines, mechanics, pilots, weapons manufacturers, vehicle manufacturers, strategists, etc. There will be many roles that overlap and merge with others, like a starship captain needs to have piloting skills and a strategic mind. A marine should be adept at crafting weapons, ammunition, a decent mechanic, and mech pilot.
Last edited by cats on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:33 am

The problem is, if we have (being generous here) 100 servers with Futurecraft, and we have (not so generous) 10 content packs, you are going to get a very small multiverse. No. All Futurecraft servers need to be compatible.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 am

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:The problem is, if we have (being generous here) 100 servers with Futurecraft, and we have (not so generous) 10 content packs, you are going to get a very small multiverse. No. All Futurecraft servers need to be compatible.
Agreed. Content should be released with updates.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:The problem is, if we have (being generous here) 100 servers with Futurecraft, and we have (not so generous) 10 content packs, you are going to get a very small multiverse. No. All Futurecraft servers need to be compatible.
Agreed. Content should be released with updates.
Yes.
This is a signature.