Quick Question

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Quick Question

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Can we make all of our models for fighters and such before frost is done with his coding of the engine?
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Re: Quick Question

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 pm

I hope Shiva-sama sees this.
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:48 pm

hyperlite wrote:I hope Shiva-sama sees this.
Why?

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:50 pm

She denied that we can do ANYTHING without frost first finishing the code. We apparently can. I am trying to get as much stuff done now as possible, so later we don't have to, and can play as soon as the coding portion of the mod is finished.
Spoiler:

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 pm

well the making models required code-ing (take that autocorrect off) no matter what, so we may as well start now to take some workload off fr0st, for I have just found out making models isn't quite as simple as previously thought
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm

I want to make it clear, fr0st has stated that it is up to us to make models, he is not going to do it for us. You can use the excuse "We can't do any work until fr0st is done with his part"

The truth is, you can. Make models, and when the time comes we can update them to the current version of Minecraft fairly easily. Frost is not going to do models, that is our responsibility.
Spoiler:

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 pm

hyperlite wrote:I want to make it clear, fr0st has stated that it is up to us to make models, he is not going to do it for us. You can use the excuse "We can't do any work until fr0st is done with his part"

The truth is, you can. Make models, and when the time comes we can update them to the current version of Minecraft fairly easily. Frost is not going to do models, that is our responsibility.
You tell him man! ^-^
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 pm

hyperlite wrote:I want to make it clear, fr0st has stated that it is up to us to make models, he is not going to do it for us. You can use the excuse "We can't do any work until fr0st is done with his part"

He's right, we can use techne to make models and store the java files for later, putting into the game is a different matter altogether though, that is the difficult bit, but it is made so much easier if the models are already built, although some features of models have to be done directly through java.

However while we may not be able to use models for FC now, we can store models for when we can, preferable skeleton models, which, when it comes to inserting them into the game, can be fleshed out with the correct shapes by myself or someone else who known how to.

As for what program to use, at the moment I would say techne, for so far that's been the best for when it comes to implementing the model, for you can export it as java, almost ready to go straight into the game.

Although there is another thing regarding modelling, we will need an equivalent of turbo model thingy if we are to produce any good models.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:17 pm

That is a great question...

for fr0stbyte, how are we going to do models in Futurecraft, assuming you can answer that question now.
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:19 pm

hyperlite wrote:for fr0stbyte, how are we going to do models in Futurecraft, assuming you can answer that question now.
IIRC, there are going to be lots of models of wings, cockpits, engines, nose cones, and such that can be matched together as the user likes to create varied fighters. Something similar will go for tanks and turrets.

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:23 pm

I knew that, but, I mean, are we still trying to do that? I thought we were trying to scale down things. Are custom fighters really that high of a priority? That can be a feature in the future, it will keep things interesting after it is released.
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
hyperlite wrote:for fr0stbyte, how are we going to do models in Futurecraft, assuming you can answer that question now.
IIRC, there are going to be lots of models of wings, *, engines, nose cones, and such that can be matched together as the user likes to create varied fighters. Something similar will go for tanks and turrets.
That might look odd. The fighters will still look uniform (They should all connect together so they have similar shapes) and the different textures and unsmooth connections might make it look ugly.

Fighters, turrets and such will have a priority because they are basically the whole equipment you get. (The turrets are especially important)
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
IIRC, there are going to be lots of models of wings, *, engines, nose cones, and such that can be matched together as the user likes to create varied fighters. Something similar will go for tanks and turrets.
That might look odd. The fighters will still look uniform (They should all connect together so they have similar shapes) and the different textures and unsmooth connections might make it look ugly.

Fighters, turrets and such will have a priority because they are basically the whole equipment you get. (The turrets are especially important)
I would not recommend custom models for fighters and such, stitching them together will be too difficult, it just won't happen, we will already have enough variation in the ships themselves. I say just go with a selection of standard models, perhaps two or three of each role for each type of model (e.g. For turrets, two types of AA two types of howitzer ect.)

That is still a lot of models we need. So far we have one, and it's been made by a standard forum member, rather than a dev.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Models made for the Flan's Mod thing aren't necessarily models for FC. Making fighters fly and turrets shoot should be a higher priority than modelling them. We're putting the cart before the horse here.