cryo sleep

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye
Re: cryo sleep

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Tiel wrote:You mean redshirts.
Depends on if they have a union.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Look. Ask yourself this:

I'll give you three options. You can man the anti-fighter flack turret on my battlecruiser, you can have your own frigate, or you can have a small fleet of cruisers. Which do you want? I want the second.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Keon wrote:Look. Ask yourself this:

I'll give you three options. You can man the anti-fighter flack turret on my battlecruiser, you can have your own frigate, or you can have a small fleet of cruisers. Which do you want? I want the second.
They you'll have to mine your own materials, craft all of your weapons and components, engines, and crew your ship by yourself. Your faction's military probably isn't just going to give you a ship for free.
Last edited by cats on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

I sort of liked the idea of teaming up with other players to pilot a single vessel.

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm

catsonmeth wrote:

They you'll have to mine your own materials, craft all of your weapons and components, engines, and crew your ship by yourself. Your faction's military probably isn't juts going to give you a ship for free.
No, do you build all your own stuff in Tekkit?

Anyways, this goes back to the fleet size sort of thing. I guess the optimal thing is 3-6 peeps per frigate.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:05 pm

1-3 for a frigate.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Keon wrote:
catsonmeth wrote:

They you'll have to mine your own materials, craft all of your weapons and components, engines, and crew your ship by yourself. Your faction's military probably isn't juts going to give you a ship for free.
No, do you build all your own stuff in Tekkit?

Anyways, this goes back to the fleet size sort of thing. I guess the optimal thing is 3-6 peeps per frigate.
No, but I usually don't take enough to make a fully-functioning spacecraft.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Tiel wrote:1-3 for a frigate.
1 for like a very small frigate with mostly frontal mounted weapons and a few auto turrets. For a real warship, 3 should be about minimum. 1 captain, plus all his gunners and so on.

The largest possible ships should have 40 or so people manning them. A captain, a few other copilots, a bunch of gunners, maybe a guy on shields if we add something for them to do, a few people manning fighters, a few in charge of the carried frigates, etc.

Fighters should have 1 person on them, or else 0 people and using a basic swarm tactic that wouldn't be as effective.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Keon wrote:The largest possible ships should have 40 or so people manning them.
The hell you say. That's, like, an entire server. A big one. There's no bloody way that's going to happen. There just aren't gonna be that many people around.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:49 pm

A true warship would be a Cruiser with 5 or so people on it.

I think the biggest ships should be able to feasibly operate with only 10 peeps. If Futurecraft becomes popular enough to the point where that's too low, it can always be modified in a patch.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
The hell you say. That's, like, an entire server. A big one. There's no bloody way that's going to happen. There just aren't gonna be that many people around.
I said biggest possible.

As in, absolute maximum. Think major server says we all want to serve in one giant mothership.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 pm

Keon wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
I said biggest possible.

As in, absolute maximum. Think major server says we all want to serve in one giant mothership.
So if you take 3 fleet supercarriers and strap them together?
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Keon
Developer

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Then the engine gets mad at you and you get attacked by a thousand aye-aye mobs.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 am

look that why i thought being in two places
that way a large vessel that only needs real people in a fight can jus go fly away with people in their cryo banks
and when they are in spot they wake them and look how many people show up

in the meanwhile people can start building their own ships
or populate the homeworld

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 am

People aren't going to be in two places, Joykler. Sorry. Not gonna happen.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")