cryo sleep

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: cryo sleep

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Because you have only so many things to do on a ship. I mean, I could calibrate the cannons and all the guns 30+ times, but that would be useless. I could replace 1/8th of the hull with super titanium, but then run out of titanium.

On another note, please keep in mind titanium will probably primarily be used to defend from plasma and laser weapons, as it does not melt until verilously high temperatures.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Because you have only so many things to do on a ship. I mean, I could calibrate the cannons and all the guns 30+ times, but that would be useless. I could replace 1/8th of the hull with super titanium, but then run out of titanium.

On another note, please keep in mind titanium will probably primarily be used to defend from plasma and laser weapons, as it does not melt until verilously high temperatures.
You could always make something or review tactics. Go down to the mess and have a conversation with an NPC, talk to the rest of the crew, do some research, hydroponics, go AFK and pop some popcorn, more crafting (there'll always be a lot of crafting to do), look over star maps, redecorate your quarters, make food, earn brownie points with your commander, taunt your enemies, message your friends, go to the mess and drink large amounts of alcohol, play around on the holodeck, get hurt on the holodeck, pay a visit to the medical bay, take a fighter for a spin, polish your mech, make a laz0rgunz, shoot people around the ship with said lazor guns, etc. etc. etc.

'nother note: a tungsten alloy would be better for heat weapons, though titanium has a decent resistance to heat and isn't as brittle as tungsten.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 am

ok then i dont think i get the scale of this
because i thought a 100 men would be on those ships
and a 100 men would be bored easely

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 am

I was thinking more like 5 per large battecruiser. A huge capital ship would have 20-40 people on it. A frigate, 1. A carrier might have 3-10.

For example, we have like 20 members on this forum, and if we were all online at the same time, we should be able to control a reasonably sized fleet.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:14 am

wow then i have made an mistake
my pegasus alone has room for atleast 14 men
my hercules 150

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am

joykler wrote:wow then i have made an mistake
my pegasus alone has room for atleast 14 men
my hercules 150
You have room for hundreds of NPCs, not players.

I personally hope to run my entire empire by myself.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am

If there are hundreds of NPCs which need to be scurrying about for a single player, that's not going to be easy on the server.

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by joykler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 am

what kind of npc's are we talking about and how would i command these npc's

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am

I was thinking somewhere between testificates and Milleniare villagers, and I don't know. We've never formally decided on anything, nor do I know how many AIs we can put in there or how sophisticated before we start biting out a big chunk of the processing budget.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:I was thinking somewhere between testificates and Milleniare villagers, and I don't know. We've never formally decided on anything, nor do I know how many AIs we can put in there or how sophisticated before we start biting out a big chunk of the processing budget.
When it comes to ships at least, there don't have to be individual NPCs on board if there isn't a player on board too. If I'm controlling a fleet from my flagship, the fifteen frigates around me can all be a single NPC ship rather than being a ship run by 35 individual crewmembers. Or at least I think they could—you're the only one who can say for sure.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Methinks the largest of carriers and assault ships would have 15 actual players, most of them would be pilots or marines. For anything larger than a heavy bomber and smaller than an attack cruiser, I imagine anywhere from 2-5 crewmen. The smaller 1 and 2 man crew would be supplemented by NCPs.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

So do we also need to have things for the crewmen to do, or do they just sort of wander around and provide ambience?

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:So do we also need to have things for the crewmen to do, or do they just sort of wander around and provide ambience?
Just ambience. Well, and stuff like manning turrets, I guess. They wouldn't have to do complicated stuff, at least. Just sit at consoles and look like they're moving controls or whatever.

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm

So basically they are extras on Star Trek.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 pm

You mean redshirts.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]