joys armor idea

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler
joys armor idea

Post by joykler » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:51 pm

i have copied this from keons topic because he want it back
so here my idea will have its own topic

i think armor would be nice having holes in the hull
just in time escaping with holes in your defence

i have thought of a way but its a bit hard to explain because its build in diffrent parts so look

have you seen the redpower mod with covers that are flat perfectly in all the diffrent colors and textures
they can be used to cover up redstone while not requiring an extra block they have an collision box but two can fit in the same block

i think you could use something like that
a single pain has an hp of say 100
you have already discussed that if each block has hp for itself you get borgships
but this block has life on its own buttt if its dealed damage and it doesnt destroy it instantly it diverts 70 % percent of the damage to a 3x3 ring around it and to the inside it doesnt matter how much layers you have each 3x3 layer damage behind the hit plate would receive 70 % percent damage.
the real block against the pane would be destroyd at the same moment that the pane is destroyd
i have made an demonstration
Spoiler:
so i have already told u how it would work but to make it visual here are some pictures with explanation

legenda
the wool and stone blocks present damaged and normal panes

simpel shot on flat surface works like this with my idea

simpel shot on flat surface multiple layers walls [borg effect]
all walls behind the hit wall get damage [maybe you could have an limit like 10 blocks behind the hit block it resets but that is up to you]

you could also have highdamage cannons
if a shot deals damage way more damage then the hp left on a pane [ a pane has 20 left and you hit it with 80]
there wil be a piercing shot [a single block wil be desinegrated and only the ones directly behind it get damage]

it doesnt only work on flat surfaces it has to work in a 3x3 area what the form of the hit vessel is doesnt matter

if multiple shots are taken on the same time it would work like this
this was the demonstration
this way of having hp would be way more fun
there could be diffrent kinds of armor like heavy to light
and because there seperate of eachother you could plate key components heavier then things you dont really need
you could make it in a way that it counts the weight of the total armor and uses that to calculate the amount of engines needed

borg like ships are still possible but not as good because all the layers would be constantly receiving damage + you need more engine power
and because there seperate blocks someone needs to place them one by one making it very irritating to place them

but i have thought of an idea to place it in large amounts but furst i want to hear what you think of it

and again sorry for my grammar.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: joys armor idea

Post by cats » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Uuuuuhhm...

Uuhh...

Hmmm...

Uuuhh

What?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:09 pm

I think this method is OK but overly complicated. Something like this might be used, but this specifically seems a bit arbitrary, and I'm not sure how spreading out the damage helps us.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 pm

I can't think of a way to do per block HP without making every block a tile entity, and that would be lagmania. Try making your battlecruiser out of noteblocks, and you would be close to what would happen in this.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Keon wrote:I can't think of a way to do per block HP without making every block a tile entity, and that would be lagmania. Try making your battlecruiser out of noteblocks, and you would be close to what would happen in this.
dirt and stone vs tnt

Different blast resistance. Have everything recognized as blasts of different strengths by the engine and presto.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

You'll still get borg cubes with this method. People will just put everything into engines if they can cheaply make themselves invincible simply by making their hulls 8x thicker.

The fact we have almost no practical control over how a ship is constructed means we can't allow any design-based advantages, because that will lead to design based exploits, guaranteed.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Tiel wrote:
Keon wrote:I can't think of a way to do per block HP without making every block a tile entity, and that would be lagmania. Try making your battlecruiser out of noteblocks, and you would be close to what would happen in this.
dirt and stone vs tnt

Different blast resistance. Have everything recognized as blasts of different strengths by the engine and presto.
True, you could do a lookup table of materials, but that limits it to all blocks of the same ID being the same. You could also do hardness, or add your own variable for this. However, the damage wouldn't be cumulative. If you drop one TNT on a water source and nothing happens, dropping 1000 on a water source won't make anything happen. That defeats the purpose of HP.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

I am very confused. So if I make a ship, then cover it with a layer of titanium, it'll have the same damage resistance as a ship of the same class with no armor?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 pm

If you plan to pick n armor system depending on what prevents Borg cubes you will find that there is no such system that prevents Borg cubes.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 am

What about Stormtrooper Spheres?

WHERE'S THE LOVE?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 am

Tiel wrote:Spheres
Impossible.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 am

The easiest way to avoid Borg Cubes (or sphere, whatever), is to have all blocks extremely weak to the weapons we use, as it would be in real life. We should rely on shields to give us 98% of the toughness of the ship. That's just my opinion, and it's a much simpler way to do it.
This is a signature.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 am

"Shields are failing, captain!"

"Oh. Uhm... We're boned."
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:45 am

catsonmeth wrote:"Shields are failing, captain!"

"Oh. Uhm... We're boned."
POLARIZE THE HULL PLATING!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

joykler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:mercenary
IGN:joykler

Post by joykler » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 am

sorry if im mistaken but i think you dont get the point borg ships wouldnt be usefull
because every layer behind the first layer would receive 70 % of the damage
not that each layer gives damage to the one behind
no to the 30 behind so thick armor plating wouldnt help
only the second layer would help but then we are talking about an layer that nees one or two shots to be destroyd

my version would help because
it would help because you wouldnt have to destroy a ship block by block
you dont need to cover it with new full blocks
and you wouldnt be shooting on a fully functional ship until it suddenly just breaks
the players inside have time for reparations
or closing of rooms to minimize pressure loss
small fighter ships wouldnt have to have an energy shield
but can just be equipped with light plating
and with large holes that can be made in the exterior you could have small fighters fly in and wreak havoc from the inside out

and maybe against the lagg you could make it not one tiel but you could have diffrent sizes thus minimizing lagg while fighting an dreadnaught
the bigger tiles would have more hp but it would work the same for tiles around it
so you could cover bigger surfaces with less diffrent entities

and this would be way more flexible in ways of weight
armor strength
and defence because you could arm important spots better than others
i suggest that you would read it more carefull
because exept the lagg problem
i think my idea would work