New idea for planet shapes.

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: New idea for planet shapes.

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:25 pm

catsonmeth wrote: I agree. A septagonosaurus shaped into a sphere wouldn't be distorted to the point of uselessness.
Indeed.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:03 pm

Tiel wrote:
catsonmeth wrote: I agree. A tyrannosaurus shaped into a sphere wouldn't be distorted to the point of uselessness.
Indeed.
Well that is a strange saying.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Tiel wrote:
catsonmeth wrote: I agree. A septagonosaurus shaped into a sphere wouldn't be distorted to the point of uselessness.
Indeed.
Hey Tiel. I'm gonna need you to change the whole cube-and-bIock thing back. I'd hate for something to happen to you.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 pm

o_o

I-I'm working on it!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 pm

So anyway, on topic. I think Iv is mostly on correct, but keep in mind the effect of vastly increased mobility on players' spheres of influence. You may have fewer players per world on average, but if you take into account that players can move from planet to planet fairly easily, and that civilization can be detected much more effectively, I think anything less will lead to feelings of the galaxy being too cramped. Granted, most natural areas will not be explored on foot, but I think that, too, is the price of admission.

Also as I've said before, the cube-model will actually be easier to implement act much less confusingly. Literally the only things preventing us from using it are the gravity rules and working out block orientation. If we can get that, then the technical pros alone outweigh the cons tenfold.

Let's see, what else. Oh yeah, bunkers. They might be cool, and it would be interesting to see a proper use of the deeper worlds, but even if they don't fit in gameplay-wise, keep in mind that the end-goal of the Copernicus engine is to be usable in many sorts of mods, not just space. Pretty-much anything being done on a large scale could benefit from it. Maybe even nukes, for instance (though not with planets. Way too much overhead.)

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:17 am

I still believe when it comes to the general look of the game spheres are preferable. Though minecraft is cubic in nature at such scales it all becomes smooth faces. Cubes just won't look right in that. Still don't get why you hate loading bars - they solve so many issues. Even in hyperspace - Watching for 5 minutes a blue vortex is not one of the best time spendings. Even if you don't want it to be obvious you can replace the loading bar with animation of the blue vortex to satisfy the public's need to observe blue vortexes :) .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 am

Iv121 wrote:I still believe when it comes to the general look of the game spheres are preferable. Though minecraft is cubic in nature at such scales it all becomes smooth faces. Cubes just won't look right in that. Still don't get why you hate loading bars - they solve so many issues. Even in hyperspace - Watching for 5 minutes a blue vortex is not one of the best time spendings. Even if you don't want it to be obvious you can replace the loading bar with animation of the blue vortex to satisfy the public's need to observe blue vortexes :) .
I think loading bars can be overcome pretty easily. When you go from planet to space, the planet surface and whatever's in orbit becomes a sprite and you can just walk around the ship until you get to the space dimension, if that's at all possible. When you go into hyperspace, the outside becomes a swirly thingy and you can go about your normal activities until you make the jump out of hyperspace. Jumping in and out could just be a zoomed out animation of the ship moving into a flashy portal Star Trek/Halo style. If all else fails loading screens/pictures/short animations won't take away from the game much.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Apokalypse
Recruit
Recruit
IGN:Apokalypse124

Post by Apokalypse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:11 pm

As i said before. flying a perfect right angle around a square planet is going to look really janky from space

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Apokalypse wrote:As i said before. flying a perfect right angle around a square planet is going to look really janky from space
Why would you fly in a square instead of a circle?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Apokalypse
Recruit
Recruit
IGN:Apokalypse124

Post by Apokalypse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:43 pm

from how he explained it the minecraft world is still going to look normal when your on the planet but when your in space it will be a square

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Apokalypse wrote:from how he explained it the minecraft world is still going to look normal when your on the planet but when your in space it will be a square
Yes, but why would you fly in a square instead of a circle?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:21 pm

You would still orbit in a circular fashion; we're still trying to maintain a semblance of Newtonian physics. Even in free-fall, you would experience the correct gravity vector. The only time it wouldn't be straight down at the core is when you are standing on the surface, and that is because inclines don't really work in Minecraft.

@Iv
Loading screens are a cop-out, and my professional pride won't allow it.

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:You would still orbit in a circular fashion; we're still trying to maintain a semblance of Newtonian physics. Even in free-fall, you would experience the correct gravity vector. The only time it wouldn't be straight down at the core is when you are standing on the surface, and that is because inclines don't really work in Minecraft.

@Iv
fr0st, just gonna support your anti- loading screen campaign. (or however it´s spelled)
-the vanilly MC loading screens are between dimensions which are parallel, not like space next to the normal world.
Also, we can promote FC as the mod "without loading screens" if fr0st manages to do that.
Making it loading-screen-less for hyperspace would be pretty easy, but I (having no coding experience) think it wil be trickier to make it for entering and leaving atmosphere (due to view change of the planet)
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:53 am

Alright that's it ppl ! We are going to win the market with it ! The game without loading screens ! Who cares what inside as long as you don't have to wait for it :) .
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

fr0stbyte124
Developer

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:You would still orbit in a circular fashion; we're still trying to maintain a semblance of Newtonian physics. Even in free-fall, you would experience the correct gravity vector. The only time it wouldn't be straight down at the core is when you are standing on the surface, and that is because inclines don't really work in Minecraft.

@Iv
fr0st, just gonna support your anti- loading screen campaign. (or however it´s spelled)
-the vanilly MC loading screens are between dimensions which are parallel, not like space next to the normal world.
Also, we can promote FC as the mod "without loading screens" if fr0st manages to do that.
Making it loading-screen-less for hyperspace would be pretty easy, but I (having no throwing bricks at my computer screen experience) think it wil be trickier to make it for entering and leaving atmosphere (due to view change of the planet)
Admittedly, entering the atmosphere would look weird with the sphere-model, because need to unstretch all the distorted terrain around the polar circles. One more reason why I like the cube-model: you don't have to change a single thing from what you used in orbit. Just tweak some atmospheric constants and stream in interior chunk detail as it arrives, and you are good to go. We honestly have no need for loading screens. The only reason vanilla minecraft has them is because it hasn't even started building the terrain until you switch contexts. We'll have had it loaded the entire time (albeit only the superficial structures).