Lancher Redo

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Aidantheawsome
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:The Viscan Empire
Lancher Redo

Post by Aidantheawsome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm

ok, here the problem. At any point in time, a "trusted" member of any futurecraft server can say "Ive gota go", leave the server and join another futurecraft server, thus not only allowing them to live 2 lives in 1 galaxy o.o ,but also becoming a security issue, as that user could easely be trading the valuble secrets of various groups to their enemies/competitors. We wont be able to trust anyone but our closest friends!

However, I have a solution.

In order to log on to a Futurecraft server, players must be using a secial launcher like Tekkit, Spoutcraft, FTB, ect.
This launcher's singleplayer is no different from vinilla minecraft, however the mulitiplayer is VERY different.
When a player first clicks on the multiplayer option, Instead of a list of servers, they are imediatly asked for the ip of the server they want to join. This server will be the one they spawn on. Note: players will NOT be able to access no-futurecraft servers via the futurecraft launcher. After this first conection, however, they will never again be asked for any ip, instead they will appear on whatever server, moon, or station they were last on. If the player dies, things get a little complicated.
After first joining the futurecraft galaxy, players will have an Affliction IP. This is the ip of the server they will spawn at if they die. by defalt, it is set to the server they originaly joined. Any server owner has the power to, with the player's consent, change the player's Affliction IP to the server said server owner owns.

Another note: Players should NOT be able to leave the game while on any kind of mobbile structure, they must wait untill they are at a moon, station, or server.

Personal note: perhaps resently deceased player would have to spend time, or complete challenges in the Nether or anothe afterlife in order to re-spawn? Just to make it more realistic.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Sounds cool, if this were my mod, I would look to implement this. But it's not. So I can't really do that.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Re: Lancher Redo

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Nether as a hell... BRILLIANT!

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Instead of asking for the IP, Make it easier for people to advertise and just have a list of systems/planets/stations/etc that act as starting points
that way we don't have super popular servers and unknown servers on such a high scale as normal in vanilla MC.

1.No, What happens if the Internet/Java/I rip the processor from my computer. fails? Also people cant always be on they have to leave fast sometimes and being unable to leave would result in a lot of AFK flying bricks or floating spaceships not doing anything.

2.Maybe, At most maybe a 1-10 minute death ban anything else would make it too complicated or etc. (Also perhaps add in exceptions such as maybe arenas or if your on your home planet or something)
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm

People should also have reserve affliction IPs In case the server is down

Also FC is a huge mod, so it would be a bugger to install manually, and there is a surprising number of people would be driven away by a manual install (but not alpha veterans like myself) so having a launcher and an auto installer would be a good idea.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Thread title would make an awesome RP name.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Tiel wrote:Thread title would make an awesome RP name.
I highly doubt it, too ordinary and boring.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 pm

But it's got personality. That's all that matters 8]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer

Post by Prototype » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Tiel wrote:But it's got personality. That's all that matters 8]

But it ain't got no soul

But I'm in favour of a launcher, if we can make FC, making a dedicated launcher should be child's play
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm

For logging in the first time: Open FC launcher, log in, choose a server, play FC. If you want to join a different Server Faction, you have to defect from your current one.

If you're in a ship, barge, etc. you should turn into an invincible NCP, go to your designated (if none has been designated, the nearest one) cryo pod, and take a nice frost nap. If the ship is destroyed, JETTISON THE SLEEPERS!

Nether Hell? Yes.

Something I've thought about What happens when a server goes down and you've just hyperspaced in there? Is your ship lost until the server is restored? Does it reappear in the nearest server's shipyard?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes if a server goes down the "Refuges" and there ships are transported to the nearest system.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Well, I think it´s pretty much discussed through that servers can form universes apart from the main universe hosted by the devs.
All servers from 1 universe would be connected and could exchange information.
This could be used to prevent people from logging into several servers in one universe, but enable them to live on different servers in different universes.
Sound good?
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:Well, I think it´s pretty much discussed through that servers can form universes apart from the main universe hosted by the devs.
This could be used to prevent people from logging into several servers in one universe, but enable them to live on different servers in different universes.
Sound good?
That word "Universe"...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:02 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:Well, I think it´s pretty much discussed through that servers can form universes apart from the main universe hosted by the devs.
Sound good?
That word "Universe"...
meaning "connection of servers".
But we can rename it "galaxy" if that´s more sense-making to you.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:49 pm

No, it'll be one "galaxy". servers shouldn't be grouped, it doesn't really make sense.
— David Langford
Spoiler: