Inventory ideas portaining to fighters, ammunition, and othe

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Inventory ideas portaining to fighters, ammunition, and othe

Post by cats » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:35 pm

I assume that this is the place for ideas.
How does one make exponent?

Futurecraft will need a new inventory system, I think. My idea is variable inventory space and item size variability.

Layered armor: A more advanced clothing system could be implemented. One including ammunition pouches, weapon holsters, coats, armor, etc. The first layer of clothing would be similar to the armor now. Usually, a player would place fabric clothing into this slot to improve stamina or something [sup]1[/sup] and inventory space. A layer of fabric clothing is not needed, a player can place armor in these slots if they wish. The outer layer can contain any personal body armor or coat/jacket [sup]2[/sup]. The last layer would be for external weapon/item holsters [sup]6[/sup]. These could be used to free up space in the inventory. Some types of holsters, like magnetic hardpoints, could only be used when a player is wearing a hardsuit [sup]3[/sup].

Variable Inventory Space: The space a player has in his/her inventory could be decided by the amount of storage he/she has in his/her clothing/armor. Fabric clothing, like wool or cotton, can be edit to allow more pockets [sup]5[/sup], which expand inventory. If two layers of clothing are being worn, the inventory space is the sum of the values of both pieces of clothing.

Variable Item Size: You shouldn't be able to carry around a fighter or 64 MAC rounds. I suggest that larger things take up more space in the inventory. A wood plank block would take up 1/64 of an inventory slot, as usual. A gun might take up two or three, and an aircraft part [sup]4[/sup] may take up some huge amount of space.

VVTook this from my "Fighters, other small vehicles, stations, and buildings" thread VV
Spoiler:
Instead of fighters, personnel carriers, tanks, ultralight mechs (or superheavy combat suits), and other largish vehicles being caftable placible, why not have them so they must be built in a factory and then transported to their destination? There could be vehicle dealerships and things that aren't just chests with signs on them. A carrier would actually have to contain all of its fighters and assault teams wouldn't just be some players with mechs in their inventory.
1. I suggest that some kind of "[trike]Comfort[/strike] stamina or something" healthbar be added. It would cover excess heat, cold, etc. and provide a reason for coats and cotton shirts (other than inv. space). When the comfort bar drops to 0, it begins to diminish health to a certain point.

2. A jacket or coat might be needed to stay alive in tundras and polar wastes. They also add to inventory space.

3. Hardsuit is anything that isn't a soft, if you didn't quite catch that.

4. When fighters die, they might go to a special place called salvage land, where they are stripped of undamaged parts. These parts are inventory-able.

5. A shirt or pant or coat can be edited for color and pocket-amount. MOAR POCKETS=MOAR AWESOME.

6. Holsters can be used to store gunz. Ammunition pockets hold ammunition, quivers hold arrows, and sheathes hold your swords. Placing weapons and ammunition in these frees space in the main inventory. Weapon slots could be shown beside the holster, separate from the main inv.
Last edited by cats on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Re: Inventory ideas portaining to fighters, ammunition, and

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I like this idea.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Alduin
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Dovan Empire

Post by Alduin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Alduin Approves
Nickname:Emperor_Revan(and roleplay)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:55 pm

fourteen[sup]12[/sup]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Tiel wrote:fourteen[sup]12[/sup]
Why is it not working in the OP?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Use the edit button then repost.

It should register the new BBCode then.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Richard_cypher
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:The Collective

Post by Richard_cypher » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:16 am

If i could get a German trench coat i would be a very happy person

Dr. Mackeroth
Designer
Designer
Affiliation:Alteran

Post by Dr. Mackeroth » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:58 am

While your ideas are well though out, they are not necessary to Futurecraft. The objective is to finish the mod, not get stuck in development for 3 years (by the way, does anyone know when our 2nd birthday is/was, I've lost track of time).
This is a signature.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:25 am

That's a good idea, but like mack says, it isn't necessary, perhaps for a 2.0 of futurecraft providing fr0st and the other devs aren't sick of FC by then
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:29 pm

I like these ideas but some could just over-complicate the game and become annoying. How about you have to hit a button to put up and down landing gear on fighters though? Obviously, you would go faster when it is up and slower when down, and it must be down to land, if any of that is possible.
Spoiler:

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, as far as I know, it is already more or less set in stone that something is needed to prevent people from running around with heavy mechs in their Inventory.
Even with those transcendental inventories that every game has, it would still make no sense to have the term "hangar and launch bay" refering to a chest in front of a big airlock.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 pm

No, it's not a necessity for FC 1.0. Not much is, other than Copernicus and building blocks and weapons.

These things need to be considered for FC 1.-- or 2.--.
— David Langford
Spoiler:

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Alduin wrote:Alduin Approves

Lightspeed Approves \\m//
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Tunnelthunder
Ensign
Ensign
Affiliation:Insomniacs
IGN:Tunnelthunder

Post by Tunnelthunder » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:While your ideas are well though out, they are not necessary to Futurecraft. The objective is to finish the mod, not get stuck in development for 3 years (by the way, does anyone know when our 2nd birthday is/was, I've lost track of time).
Mack to have a birthday you need a "kid" and right now futurecraft seems to be in its first trimester.

Aidantheawsome
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:The Viscan Empire

Post by Aidantheawsome » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm

All I gota say is, if this is implamented, Im gona alter all my inner clothing to have holsters, sheaths, ect, and walk around with a hundred and one weapons under my coat! 8]