Planetary Defenses

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Planetary Defenses

Post by Ivan2006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm

CaptainSporatic wrote:
Commander Error wrote:Lasers, yes. Oscillating whatsit, no. Cloak, no (how does one cloak a planet?).
Cats, MAC is a Halo-y name for a mass driver. Magnetically accelerating a semi-ferrous metallic mass to hypersonic velocities.
I disagree on disregarding the cloaking, as I think the cloaking would be more for a building, so that a high-priority military research facility could be cloaked instead of have multiple obvious defensive weapons. Cloaking could also be used to cloak weapons, so when the weapons are fired, incoming ships don't know where the shot came from.
I agree on the Lasers and the Oscillating whatsit.
Having exactly no sensor reading, not even atmosphere, as a cloak does not usually simulate something inside, can make one more suspicious than a giant writing saying "Missiles come out here".
Also, cloaks might be an interesting addition to my shields-stuff...
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Commander Error wrote: Cats, MAC is a Halo-y name for a mass driver. Magnetically accelerating a semi-ferrous metallic mass to hypersonic velocities.
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH, MASTER OTO. MAC is an acronym for Magnetic Accelerator Cannon, they have been referred to as mass drivers in the series as well. I just use MAC because it's more widely used and it more clearly defines the function of the weapon.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

taz93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:tazzer_1993

Post by taz93 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
CaptainSporatic wrote:
Commander Error wrote:Lasers, yes. Oscillating whatsit, no. Cloak, no (how does one cloak a planet?).
Cats, MAC is a Halo-y name for a mass driver. Magnetically accelerating a semi-ferrous metallic mass to hypersonic velocities.
I disagree on disregarding the cloaking, as I think the cloaking would be more for a building, so that a high-priority military research facility could be cloaked instead of have multiple obvious defensive weapons. Cloaking could also be used to cloak weapons, so when the weapons are fired, incoming ships don't know where the shot came from.
I agree on the Lasers and the Oscillating whatsit.
Having exactly no sensor reading, not even atmosphere, as a cloak does not usually simulate something inside, can make one more suspicious than a giant writing saying "Missiles come out here".
Also, cloaks might be an interesting addition to my shields-stuff...
The idea i had for the cloak was similar to the one from the puddle jumper from Stargate SG-1\Atlantis but slightly bigger.

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Cloak=/=invisible. It should be pretty hard to get a ship stealthed, more than just placing a block here and hooking it up to the core. Hulls should have to be coated with some kind of active sensor-absorbing thingy, special engines, stealth comm systems, etc. to make a ship that has little sensor signature. A cloaking device could be used to further dampen the radiation emitted by the ship. Also maybe a feature that causes a ship with flat surfaces to be more visible on sensors.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 pm

catsonmeth wrote:Also maybe a feature that causes a ship with flat surfaces to be more visible on sensors.
Yesss... The Borg won't know how I noticed their cubes from my windowless recon frigate so quickly...
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:41 am

I say mass driver because that's what they do. Drive mass.
And cloaking a building (i.e. the enemy seeing absolutely nothing in that space) is a tad suspicious, nay?

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:03 am

Commander Error wrote:I say mass driver because that's what they do. Drive mass.
And cloaking a building (i.e. the enemy seeing absolutely nothing in that space) is a tad suspicious, nay?
But will it be able to be seen on radar?

Error

Post by Error » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 pm

blockman42 wrote:
Commander Error wrote:I say mass driver because that's what they do. Drive mass.
Radar detects solid objects. You'd need to phase it out of this universe otherwise you're a radar reflection where the bad guy sees nothing.

As I said, a tad suspicious. And unless they've got bunker busters of a huge magnitude, building underground is easier. And cheaper.

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 am

Commander Error wrote:
blockman42 wrote:
Radar detects solid objects. You'd need to phase it out of this universe otherwise you're a radar reflection where the bad guy sees nothing.

As I said, a tad suspicious. And unless they've got bunker busters of a huge magnitude, building underground is easier. And cheaper.
Well, not necessarily cheaper, as they'd need to dig out the space for the building then add extra support for the ceiling depending on how far down the building goes. Plus, you would have to transport construction materials down to the spot you are building at, which requires elevators, maybe cranes, and a lot of pre-build infrastructure.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Error

Post by Error » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 am

Clearing space underground gives you materials. The ones cleared.
Thus cheaper.

taz93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:tazzer_1993

Post by taz93 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 am

Commander Error wrote:
blockman42 wrote:

Try a cloak in space, there is nothing there to begin with.

OOH! Evil thought: cloaked minefield, then watching the enemy commander try to figure out why his ships are exploding.
You: >:D
Enemy Commander: xD as he blow up

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:36 am

taz93 wrote:OOH! Evil thought: cloaked minefield, then watching the enemy commander try to figure out why his ships are exploding.
What's the point of a minefield if it's not cloaked? People just wouldn't fly into it.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Laserbilly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laserbilly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:17 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
taz93 wrote:OOH! Evil thought: cloaked minefield, then watching the enemy commander try to figure out why his ships are exploding.
What's the point of a minefield if it's not cloaked? People just wouldn't fly into it.
Or just shoot the mines out of the way. Though on the other hand, minefields should be marked by space-buoys.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
'normal' mines would probably just be high yield, proximity triggered explosives disguised as asteroids or the like.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Tiel....You just, Ended space mining....Evil bird....

And cloaking a whole planet is quite possible, You just need a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT of energy then all that's needed is a field that bends light around the planet.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]