Interstellar Communications

Anything concerning the ongoing creation of Futurecraft.
Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder
Interstellar Communications

Post by Error » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 am

Interstellar Communications! always presuming that it won't be done via starship, I have and idea.

The HyperPulse Generator is a neutral, NPC-owned interstellar comms device that charges a small fee for you to send a message (textonly) to another system..eh...server.
We can rename it something more suitable later, I just threw that in as a placeholder.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Re: Interstellar Communications

Post by Prototype » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 am

Hmm how about we have that as like the radio tower of the future, so a world will have to have at least one, then people can use a craft able device to send messages to each other, I shall call this technology, the mobile phone.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7

Post by Avenger_7 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am

Honestly, I think text between servers needs to come standard with the mod, in much the same way BSGO has it implemented.

blockman42
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Voxel Co.
IGN:Blockman42

Post by blockman42 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 am

Avenger_7 wrote:Honestly, I think text between servers needs to come standard with the mod, in much the same way BSGO has it implemented.
Satalites or some sort of communication towers should be mandatory.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 pm

there should be configurable networks that players can set up (like faction chat)
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

cats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by cats » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 pm

blockman42 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:Honestly, I think text between servers needs to come standard with the mod, in much the same way BSGO has it implemented.
Satellites or some sort of communication towers should be mandatory.
Agreed. You'd just get a bunch of people constantly flooding your chat. It could be set in a tiered system, where admins get msg chat, admirals get system chat, captains get planetary chat, etc. etc. A person of a lower tier needs to get a com device or get perms from a com station to access higher tiers of communication.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device"
— David Langford
Spoiler:
cannonfodder wrote:it's funny because sonic's face looks like a * and faces aren't supposed to look like a *

Error

Post by Error » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 am

I meant server to server chat, and I say make it NPC so it's not such an inviting target for enemies.

Plus, taking out an HPG will get you on ComStar's bad side.

taz93
Cadet
Cadet
IGN:tazzer_1993

Post by taz93 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:17 am

Commander Error wrote:Interstellar Communications! always presuming that it won't be done via starship, I have and idea.

The HyperPulse Generator is a neutral, NPC-owned interstellar comms device that charges a small fee for you to send a message (textonly) to another system..eh...server.
We can rename it something more suitable later, I just threw that in as a placeholder.
Commander Error wrote:I meant server to server chat, and I say make it NPC so it's not such an inviting target for enemies.

So like to transmit civilian messages, no military radio chatter from this building.

So am I right about this?

Error

Post by Error » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am

taz93 wrote:
Commander Error wrote:Interstellar Communications! always presuming that it won't be done via starship, I have and idea.

Commander Error wrote:I meant server to server chat, and I say make it NPC so it's not such an inviting target for enemies.

So like to transmit civilian messages, no military radio chatter from this building.

So am I right about this?
da, comrade. Civilian, unencrypted text messages from server to server.

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Well if there's going to be civilian and military server-to-server communications, there has to be a way to block communications. And if there is a way to block inter-server comms, there was to be a way to get past the blocking. That way, if a server wants, they could fight against other servers through the other server's method of communications.
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

CaptainSporatic wrote:Well if there's going to be civilian and military server-to-server communications, there has to be a way to block communications. And if there is a way to block inter-server comms, there was to be a way to get past the blocking. That way, if a server wants, they could fight against other servers through the other server's method of communications.
:|
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Leave it to the FC community to think o a way to wage war with cell phones!
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

CaptainSporatic
Cadet
Cadet
Affiliation:Rhomidean
IGN:cptsporatic

Post by CaptainSporatic » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

Shadowcat wrote:Leave it to the FC community to think o a way to wage war with cell phones!
Hey, communications are important if you want to get word out to your allies that you're being bombed to kingdom come :P
Spoiler:
Have you ever as so much as tried to even know for sure when even so much as not to do?

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 pm

HyperPulse generator?
R U playing XCOM lately?
I think there should be multiple possibilities for long-range communications, e.g. subspace communication used by both Star Wars and Star Trek.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I think we should stick with normal global chat.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]