Futurecraft community gaming.
Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something
Re: Skyrim

Post by Pat22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 am

Iv121 wrote:Doesn't that sound like pointless grind ? There is a diff between that and true difficulty raise, dark-souls-like.
Pretty much, yeah.

Though as you level and unlock new abilities, it becomes pretty strategical.

First off, get sneak, because not only do I always make sneak-based characters, it's pretty much invaluable to be able to scout out a room and plan out your attack when anything and everything can pretty much one-shot you.
Upgrade one-handed skill, enchanting and alchemy, so you can buff your weapons' damage, enchant it for more damage, and add poison on top of it all for even more damage.
Alchemy also comes in useful in the form of plenty of healing potions, invisibility potions as a GTFO button, and other useful things.
Smithing, at least to 60 to get the perk that allows you to upgrade enchanted weapons, to keep your arsenal updated.
Archery, because sometimes you need ranged combat. better to be prepared, if only 5/5 in the first damage boost perk.

Also, I found that unlike all other difficulties, I actually spend most of the gold I make on materials, potions, weapons ( either to upgrade or to disenchant because they have nice stuff ), soul gems and stuff to keep raising my skill.

So, as much as it's pointless grinding to have enemies with ridiculous health pools and ludicrous damage, I'm actually finding it enjoyable to overcome the challenges.

Oh, and you definitely need a horse. Your odds of winning in an encounter with pretty much any kind of enemy go up several hundred percent if you fight from horseback.

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 am

Currently waiting to hit level 46 to acquire the maximum levels of nightingale blade and bow, which will make them equivalent to Daedric weapons.
Till then ima get the Blade of Woe because it's not a leveled item so it doesn't matter what level I get it at, it's always OP.

Resisting the urge to pick up the Vorpal Blade from the Alice: Madness Returns mod in Whiterun. That thing's way stronger than the Blade of Woe.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 am

Damn, that sounds pretty fun, actually. I remember back when I first met you guys I was trying to do a no-deaths legendary playthrough of Halo 2 - if I died I restarted from Cairo Station.

Not being a god adds a lot more depth to the whole experience.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:58 am

Chairman Tiel wrote:Damn, that sounds pretty fun, actually. I remember back when I first met you guys I was trying to do a no-deaths legendary playthrough of Halo 2 - if I died I restarted from Cairo Station.
That sounds like a terrible idea. There's bit in The Oracle that has more Flood than ammo even on Normal (CQC Covenant Carbine FTW), the part at the beginning of Quarantine Zone with the Sentinel Enforcer and all the Combat Forms, the room with all the Honor Guards on Delta Halo.... Christ. How far did you get?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm actually surprised I never bothered to use Skyforged steel weapons before. With the first smithing perk for steel smithing, you can upgrade it twice as much and it becomes better than glass weaponry, and is available from the get-go.
Hell it's even better than the Ebony sword I bought and upgraded.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Pat22 wrote:I'm actually surprised I never bothered to use Skyforged steel weapons before. With the first smithing perk for steel smithing, you can upgrade it twice as much and it becomes better than glass weaponry, and is available from the get-go.
Hell it's even better than the Ebony sword I bought and upgraded.
Still use my Skyforge Steel sword from level 12 on my level 40 Dovahkiin warrior char. Improved better than Legendary. Love it.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm level 37, I think. It's at Legendary, currently doing 47 damage with my perks ( I can only get Ebony to exquisite and that caps at 43 damage )

Eventually I'm going to use alchemy, enchanting and smithing to super buff the Nightingale blade past Legendary because I want to make that, with the blade of Woe, my primary weapons. Nightingale Bow as well.

Speaking of abusing game mechanics to break the game, my friend once kept using one skill to buff the other ( alchemy, smithing and enchanting ) and created some ridiculous skill increases and ended up walking around with a sword that hit for over 1000 damage and an armor that absorbed so much damage he never had to worry about health.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Pat22 wrote:Speaking of abusing game mechanics to break the game, my friend once kept using one skill to buff the other ( alchemy, smithing and enchanting ) and created some ridiculous skill increases and ended up walking around with a sword that hit for over 1000 damage and an armor that absorbed so much damage he never had to worry about health.
I dunno how much of this thread you've read, but my Blade of Woe was doing something like 30K damage on a sneak attack at the end. Armor caps at 80% resistance to physical attacks, which translates to an armor rating of 561 (IIRC). It's pretty easy to get your stated armor rating higher than that, but it still won't block more than 80% damage.. By level 200-odd you have something like 700 health (assuming you upgrade health, stamina, and Magicka fairly evenly), so you're pretty much set. I think my Daedric sword was doing about 300 damage on a normal hit.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Kzin wrote:
Chairman Tiel wrote:Damn, that sounds pretty fun, actually. I remember back when I first met you guys I was trying to do a no-deaths legendary playthrough of Halo 2 - if I died I restarted from Cairo Station.
That sounds like a terrible idea. There's bit in The Oracle that has more Flood than ammo even on Normal (CQC Covenant Carbine FTW), the part at the beginning of Quarantine Zone with the Sentinel Enforcer and all the Combat Forms, the room with all the Honor Guards on Delta Halo.... Christ. How far did you get?
I got to Delta Halo lol, then you guys wanted to play SOASE and I didn't touch it until my hard drive crapped out later that spring.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Kzin wrote:
Pat22 wrote:Speaking of abusing game mechanics to break the game, my friend once kept using one skill to buff the other ( alchemy, smithing and enchanting ) and created some ridiculous skill increases and ended up walking around with a sword that hit for over 1000 damage and an armor that absorbed so much damage he never had to worry about health.
I dunno how much of this thread you've read, but my Blade of Woe was doing something like 30K damage on a sneak attack at the end. Armor caps at 80% resistance to physical attacks, which translates to an armor rating of 561 (IIRC). It's pretty easy to get your stated armor rating higher than that, but it still won't block more than 80% damage.. By level 200-odd you have something like 700 health (assuming you upgrade health, stamina, and Magicka fairly evenly), so you're pretty much set. I think my Daedric sword was doing about 300 damage on a normal hit.

No I mean his sword was doing over 1000 on a normal hit.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Pat22 wrote:I'm level 37, I think. It's at Legendary, currently doing 47 damage with my perks .
Level 41, sword at Legendary, smithing at 100 with all perks other than glass, first one-handed damage perk 2/5 (or 3/5 can't remember), sword does almost 70 damage.
And I think the Greatsword is over 100, I think 110 or something.
Also a Whiterun housecarl with full Daedric armor (except the helmet, that one is blades armor), and myself I've got dragon light armor other than my iron helmet, however it doesn't really make me look Dovahkiin enough so I may go back to my old, dear, trustworthy scaled armor which I've had since I got the perk.

Don't play that char a lot though, currently I'm replaying my sneaky-stealy-killy Khajit. Deleted it and made it again because of various things I did that I wasn't satisfied with, now at level 23.

Also got a level 15 heavy armor orc, and a level 22 mage who I need to do the labyrinthal quest with sometime soon.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Daynel wrote:
Pat22 wrote:I'm level 37, I think. It's at Legendary, currently doing 47 damage with my perks .
Level 41, sword at Legendary, smithing at 100 with all perks other than glass, first one-handed damage perk 2/5 (or 3/5 can't remember), sword does almost 70 damage.
The trick is enchanting. Make a full suit of Fortify Smithing armor and those swords'll do way more than a measly 70 damage. Wear Fortify One-Handed armor in combat, too.

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Kzin wrote:
Daynel wrote:
The trick is enchanting. Make a full suit of Fortify Smithing armor and those swords'll do way more than a measly 70 damage. Wear Fortify One-Handed armor in combat, too.
Yeah, trying to level up enchanting as well.
Way I see it, if you're gonna enchant your weapons and armor you either do it properly or not at all.

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pat22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Daynel wrote:
Also a Whiterun housecarl with full Daedric armor (except the helmet, that one is blades armor), and myself I've got dragon light armor other than my iron helmet, however it doesn't really make me look Dovahkiin enough so I may go back to my old, dear, trustworthy scaled armor which I've had since I got the perk.

Don't play that char a lot though, currently I'm replaying my sneaky-stealy-killy Khajit. Deleted it and made it again because of various things I did that I wasn't satisfied with, now at level 23.

Also got a level 15 heavy armor orc, and a level 22 mage who I need to do the labyrinthal quest with sometime soon.
Thing is I can't afford to put all my talent points into smithing. There are other, more useful things for legendary than pure damage. Like your illusion spells being able to work on strong enemies, or your paralysis poison lasting several seconds longer

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Daynel wrote: Yeah, trying to level up enchanting as well.
Way I see it, if you're gonna enchant your weapons and armor you either do it properly or not at all.
Keep in mind that the amount of experience you gain from enchanting is proportional to the value of the enchantment you create. Fortify Sneak tends to be the most expensive one, so dropping that onto hundreds of really cheap helmets or rings is the most efficient way to level.