CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank
Re: Kerbal Space Program Megathread V1

Post by CommanderKobialka » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 am

maybe I can try sending one of these to space: http://imgur.com/a/qVNT2
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 am

Try building an orbital cannon to shoot ground targets?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Welp, I broke my old KSP install. I tried to install B9 and it broke my ability to load saved craft, and uninstalling it didn't help. So I decided to reinstall KSP and try and do a Realistic Space Program™. I'll be using:

1. Deadly Reentry: exactly what it sounds like. Adds heat shields that are required, else your craft will explode into great conflagrations of ash and molten metal upon reentry. Okay, maybe not THAT magnificently, but they WILL explode.

2. IonCross Life Support: Adds in O2 tanks, CO2 scrubbers and recyclers, etc.

3. Telemachus: Allows you to stream flight data live from the game over a WiFi network, allowing you to turn that pile of outdated devices you have into a set of handy data displays.

4. SpaceTech Escape Pod: Installed this too because awesome.

I may (MAY) add in RemoteTech later, but that add-on's a real * to use so I won't use it to start out. I'll also be using MechJeb. I'm also considering Ferram Aerospace Research, but I'm not sure my PC can handle it.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

hyperlite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by hyperlite » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Well, using Pat's rocket and lander I managed to get myself to Duna (while constantly questioning him) and here is my photo:Image

Thing is, I was so worried about everything else in the landing I forgot to put down the gear and some stuff exploded, but don't worry, no Kerbals were harmed.
Spoiler:

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 am

Decided not to play KSP today. Sins Rebellion. Will play KSP tomorrow.

Edit: played for 2 hours today. I just got the firespitter mod and have been playing around with it. I tried building a helicopter. The center of thrust and mass were aligned PERFECTLY, yet it always flipped over backwards on the runway.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:36 pm

My new short take off and landing plane; didn't demonstrate the landing very well though :3 can land it properly about 1/3 of the time. When it works it has a reasonably short runway; this originally did true VTOL until last night when I messed with the centre of thrust to align it better, which screwed things up for some reason. Suggestions to make this more flyable would be helpful :)

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Make 4 thrusters around the center of gravity to make smoother lift-off.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Tau
Admin

Post by Tau » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:42 pm

No words in the English language can describe how Kerbal that takeoff sequence is.
Last edited by Tau on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

MrTargareyan
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:MrTargareyan

Post by MrTargareyan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:51 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Make 4 thrusters around the center of gravity to make smoother lift-off.
Thanks, I will try that :) my main problem is its oh so majestic landing of death though, it does that about 66% of the time

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:20 pm

With 4 you should be able to land straight up and down. Should.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Tau
Admin

Post by Tau » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:49 pm

KSP 0.21 is out, and I'm pretty underwhelmed by it.

[*]The new SAS is okay, but it will cause just as much wobble as before if you have more than a couple of control surfaces.[/*]

[*]The fact that capsule torque requires power is more of a nuisance than a liability, since all I'll need to do is add some more RTGs to my craft.[/*]

[*]The new terrain is magnificent, as is the new KSC. The interiors of the VAB and SPH are really nice AND less laggy, as are the new exteriors of everything else.[/*]

[*]The new Mun looks nice.[/*]

[*]Most of the new parts are pretty useless for me, though some are handy. Are quadcouplers and a hexagonal OKTO really that useful?[/*]

[*]I hear that you can go inside the new ATC tower for the island runway, but I haven't checked.[/*]

[*]The Astronaut Complex is pretty neat I suppose, but at this point in the game it's really more of a novelty. Being able to select particular crewmembers, though, is great.[/*]

[/rant]

EDIT: How the flying fuck do I do bullet points?

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm

• -I don't quite
    -Really know
    -How one
    -Would go
    -About making
    -Those
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:21 am

I find the quad-couplers very useful for a number of nuclear rockets, and I have used the hexagon probe core. Trust me, it helps, especially with OCD problems.

The new SAS has not caused stability/wobbling issues for me. In fact, it completely removes them. Space out your control surfaces around the rocker (on the top AND bottom) and the wobble should be gone. It is for me.

The bigger battery (MASSIVE) is very very useful, especially for landers and rockets that would otherwise use a ton of AAAA batteries or the other, heavier ones.

The Astronaut Complex is a vital component in the upcoming Kerbals flying your craft for you and the Campaign. But the awesome new detail is great.

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:51 am

Oh 0.21 is out eh? So the massive Kethane Mining Base I spent all night working on with my cousin will no longer be there? Great. Oh well. It looks great. I love the new terrain on Kerbin, and the moon. I posted earlier about maybe setting up a mountain base in those new mountains around KSC. I guess that's what I'll do next. And what's this I hear about quadcouplers? :)

Tau
Admin

Post by Tau » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm

It may or may not work. 0.21 includes a savefile converter, but if it's on the Mun, Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna or Dres, it may spawn inside a mountain / crater.