Futurecraft community gaming.
ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225
Re: Kerbal Space Program Megathread V1

Post by ACH0225 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:28 am

Duna's a rough guess, but by like Eeloo, my solar probe was running on about nothing, no surplus. I had enough solars to power the engine, but 3 thermals to keep my battery full. For yours, you'll probably be able to run a 4th of them, maybe more if you manage it effectively.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 pm

So, I created an ion probe. But not just any ion probe! This probe is designed to go as far out from Kerbol as possible without escaping. The results are a tad absurd.

I present: The Hestia!
Spoiler:

Using an augmented gravity assist from the Mun on the way out of the Kerbin SOI, I got the following orbit:

(The 68 year figure given by the indicator is wrong, beyond 68y the indicator conks out and goes 'lolnope'.)
Here's the orbit info as given by MechJeb:

If you know what all that stuff means, you are now in complete and total awe.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 pm

1 word: How.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Tau
Admin

Post by Tau » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 pm

I did all my speed-increase burns while in either Kerbin's or the Mun's SOI, so I got a little bit of a gravity assist effect. The speed increase totaled about 4500m/s, with the first 600 or so being applied by the remains of my orbital insertion stage, and the rest applied by the ion engine. The speed increase was spread across two burns, one at 1800m/s at Munar periapsis, and the other while exiting Kerbin. I still have about 600m/s dV left, but if I were going any faster I would be on an escape trajectory.

Sorry for bigwallotext, but I'm on a mobile device right now.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 am

It's really getting to me that the game can't run any large craft without massive performance issues.
I can't really fly any of the big stuff I showed in this thread because just looking at it pretty much turns the game into a slideshow.

Tau
Admin

Post by Tau » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:06 am

Code: Select all

while not in space:
    if falling apart:
        add strut
    else
        add boosters
I just run that line of code until space.

In other news, I finally figured out how to build a decently stable suborbital aircraft.

I present to you, the Hermes-1.
The single turbojet engine can be feathered up to about 35km, beyond there it cuts out. I've managed to get it up to about 1450m/s, and up to a maximum altitude of 39.5km. It's surprisingly stable. Takeoff is done vertically, landing is done via parachute. (What? Landing gear is heavy.)

I also put a 15-kerbal manned mobile base on the Mun. I present, the Dionysius.
(This image is of the first one, which I put on Minmus. The results weren't pretty. The amount of individual parts left could be counted on one hand.) I don't have any images of the Munar version, it's the exact same thing as the one in the photo except it's on the mun.

Wow, taking another look at those screenshots, they're horrible. I'll post some better ones later.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 am

Why not make drone orbital planes and then just carry enough fuel to get up? You could have wings with atmospheric jet engines then a body with fuel and a rocket, then just split the wing off when you need to.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank

Post by CommanderKobialka » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 am

is there an alternative to asparagus staging? I find myself going no further than the moon anymore without HyperEdit because I hate setting up asparagus staging. it takes forever.
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 am

Tower staging? Alternatively, there is also backwards staging where the capsule is on the bottom and things are awkwardly asparagused to the top.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Those are certainly some pretty original designs, Tau

I think the alternative to Asparagus staging, that isn't just regular staging, would be what I'm doing. Send your craft into orbit piece by piece and assemble it in space.

But really, I easily got to Duna with asparagus staging. Couldn't land, but that was because of design flaws.

Tau
Admin

Post by Tau » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm

If you think the designs themselves are creative, you should see some of the launch vehicles. I'd bundle up all the craft files and post 'em, but I use MechJeb so anyone who wanted to use them would have to install that (or I'd have to modify all 16 or so craft files, which I'd rather not do). There is one I'll edit and post later, though; the Diana lander, capable of landing on and returning from Laythe.

Also, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic about that compliment.

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:45 pm

have been doing some fun things with hyperedit lately. I've been hyperediting gliders into a 5000 meter orbit of Duna. The results are a wonderful 20 minute glide down to the surface. Don't try gliding on Eve though. I thought it would be fun but the gravity is too strong, the atmosphere is way too thick, and the only flat part of the planet is the ocean. The rest of the planet is covered by mountains that stick about 6000 meters above the ground. :l Gliding on Laythe is a waste of time. There's nowhere to land. Have I tried every planet with an atmosphere besides Jool? You have to be stupid thinking gliding on Jool is fun. :P

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Try to keep the lowest possible orbit on Jool. I once was able to get within the atmosphere for an orbit, but I had to burn every little while or risk dying.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 pm

can one land on jools hitbox if going slow enough?

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 am

I think the gravity is too strong for anything to survive.
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW