Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006
Re: Kerbal Space Program Megathread V1

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:05 pm

There´s your problem.
If you´re at 110km and still don´t have an orbit, I suggest watching let´s plays or how-do-I-make-a-spaceship-do-an-orbit-tutorials.
Basically, you turn your rocket at 10km and from that point on use the mechanics you learned in the orbiting tutorial of the game.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:17 pm

FFS I feel like you just try to mention I'm a noob -.- . First of all I just gave you an example of how far it can go and I know how to make an orbit , BTW figured it out with trial and error myself. Also it has nothing to do with the problem of my rocket falling apart which seems to be an engine limitation so I can live with that just I won't put my engines on max.

Also telling you the truth turning at 50,000m worked better for me and I will tell you why - the lower you are and closer to the surface the thicker is the atmosphere and the higher resistance it puts. That means that if you start turning at lower altitude you will go in diagonal or go a longer route in a thicker atmosphere spending more time in it and slowing yourself more loosing dV , instead I turn at around 50,000m where the atmosphere is really insignificant and so I make the best use of my dV
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Could you please extract the craft file (there´s video tutorials for that on Youtube) and attach it to a PM you send me?
I´d like to troubleshoot it for you.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:09 pm

With my overwatch class I have to get it out the atmosphere before I even attempt a gravity turn
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Prototype wrote:...out the atmosphere before I even attempt a gravity turn
Then it's not really a gravity turn. Burning straight up and performing orbital insertion at apoapsis is considered to be a 'vertical ascent profile', which is in a class of its own. It works, but it's not nearly as efficient.
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Well not entirely out the atmosphere, just enough for there to be little resistance to the craft turning.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Yea exactly - it is finding that balance between taking the longer route and countering air resistance, also thx Ivan but I think the vessel is fine for my purposes, even if it does look weird O.o, About time I build a space plane actually.

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Iv, try adding removable liquid fuel tanks on the sides, each with it's own engine, that is connected to the main tank via fuel link. When those four engines run dry, decouple them. Use separator solid boosters if absolutely required, and by doing this, reduce the size of the rocket. My main Mun rocket, with the right thrust, can land on any other planet (one way), or land on both Minmus and Mun and get back to Kerbin. No nuclear rockets required.

I had a SSTO plane once, barely to orbit and back. It had enough lift on it, once it was empty, that if it wasn't for air resistance, it could glide indefinitely.

And greetings from Minmus!

Also Iv, if there are thrusters above another part, it will not provide any sort of thrust. I learned this the hard way when docking my station together and building the skycrane for that rover.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Greetings from a highly eccentric solar orbit in an IPBM that ran out of fuel.
Although, technically that was almost a week ago...
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Alright, here's my current dilemma.

I had a tanker with a full central orange fuel tank on the way to the refuel station in orbit over Ike. I use(about) the same path to get to Ike, and this has led to there being an unfortunate amount of debris shifting around from spent stages and exploded ships. My current problem is that the mainsail thruster for big delta-V's was knocked off by a solar panel. Luckily, the whole thing didn't explode, but I only have 2 ion engines and a nuclear. Any sort of ideas?
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Give more details on the ship, such as a screenshot. I don't believe the ship is entirely salvageable. Instead, you should build another ship, with a central tank that is emptied out (Preferably on launch), but kept on, and enough space to hold the tanker's fuel. Get it to rendezvous with the crippled tanker, transfer the fuel, then continue to the station.

In my news, a recent Duna landing was a catastrophic failure after the ejected descent stage bounced off the ground and hit the lander. All 5 Kerbals aboard were killed.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:15 am

Well in the meantime I think I will toy around with an idea of launching twice as small rockets to bring me to the Kerbin orbit and refuel them from an orbital station, this way I won't need giant rockets and such.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:18 am

Unit 340 wrote:Give more details on the ship, such as a screenshot. I don't believe the ship is entirely salvageable. Instead, you should build another ship, with a central tank that is emptied out (Preferably on launch), but kept on, and enough space to hold the tanker's fuel. Get it to rendezvous with the crippled tanker, transfer the fuel, then continue to the station.

In my news, a recent Duna landing was a catastrophic failure after the ejected descent stage bounced off the ground and hit the lander. All 5 Kerbals aboard were killed.

That's standard procedure for getting tankers up. With the fuel, they're too heavy. I usually just send up a bunch of spaceplanes with fuel to dock.

The ship has also just crashed into to Duna. Nevermind.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:35 am

Well RIP X Kerman(s) , do you have escape pods on your stations ?

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 am

Definently not. Too much weight to get into orbit, let alone wherever they're going. If there's a problem, I just have a parachute strapped to the command module. And sometimes a few of those super tiny rockets, which I use for minor corrections.
mfw brony images
Spoiler: