Smite

Futurecraft community gaming.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Smite

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

A guy on another forum told me about this MOBA game by the guys who made Tribes Ascend. Free to play, and if you don't know what a MOBA is, think League of Legends except third person and themed after various mythologies.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Smite

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Well another MOBA ? Don't tell me it has 3 lanes , similar jungle layout , a terrible flaming community and always an identical river in the middle. It is enough to have one game of that genre on your comp, the rest are wholly identical to it (alright different names and maybe different champions, actually no as I found so many identical champions among all of them). Tell me it has at least another map ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Perhaps you should check it out for yourself. It's third person, for one, which offers a unique perspective of the battlefield along with making attacks more skill-based as opposed to clicking on an enemy and BOOM, instant damage. It also is themed after mythology quite authentically, with gods from the religions of Ancient Egypt, India, and Rome taking the field, which as far as I can tell is vastly different from any MOBA I've played in both aesthetic style and how it plays out.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Well they made a different map I'll give em that ...

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 pm

It's not a league of legends knockoff...I've played both, and the gameplay is only similar in that there's no base building, a jungle with neutral creatures, and that you control a single character supplemented by lesser npcs spawning along distinct lanes. Everything else is vastly different. The aesthetic style, the abilities, even the perspective you view the combat in provides a unique aspect to the game; much more up and personal than other MOBAs. You could no more say this is a LoL knockoff than claim Battlefield is a Call of Duty knockoff...

It's a really fun game, and so far nothing pay2win has been added. Some of the characters that you can buy outright with the 'premium currency' are somewhat unbalanced at the moment, but you can buy them with 'freeloader money' gained by playing as well fairly rapidly. Once you get into the hang of things and create a decent item progression for your god (of which you can tell the game to buy automatically when you return to spawn) it's quite a blast.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm

They are as identical as those CoDs, they are different games and yet they become boring really quick because they all have a similar premise. It doesn't matter if the icons of your abilities change or if the art style is new - overall so long it has so similar rules it plays the same and so it becomes boring. Maybe the perspective changes the experience but something tells me not that much. The flying mech thingy is much superior to this game because it adds something new and if they make the unit tactics polished enough it would make for a good game (otherwise there would be no point in moving those units and it will be just another MOBA game yet again). A game that claims it is unique should have a feature that drastically changes the way the game is played.
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling mistakes

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 pm

I got bored of LoL fairly quickly. I haven't gotten bored with this yet. That speaks volumes on it's own, whereas you haven't even played this title to make these assertions.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 am

Well we didn't do so many things in our lives and we guess about every single thing we do - tell me how do you know you won't get suddenly bored with smite tomorrow ? Have you played it tomorrow already ? Now that the assertion stuff is sorted out let me add that I am still not bored with LoL so the fact I'm not bored with MOBA as whole doesn't mean I won't be bored with the variety of MOBA games. I highly criticize the genre for this lack of originality when so many titles are so similar with only so slight changes. If I already invested many hours into LoL , why should I move to another so similar title ? Because it has a different art style ? Because it has different PoV ? Different MOBA titles try to give different answers for this question and the answers this game provided did not convince me to throw away many hours of hard work . The mere fact I even have to think about it when I look at MOBA titles says something about the genre. You don't have such thoughts when you played SC2 for a while and now plan to buy CoH2 right ?

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 am

Iv121 wrote:Well we didn't do so many things in our lives and we guess about every single thing we do - tell me how do you know you won't get suddenly bored with smite tomorrow ? Have you played it tomorrow already ? Now that the assertion stuff is sorted out let me add that I am still not bored with LoL so the fact I'm not bored with MOBA as whole doesn't mean I won't be bored with the variety of MOBA games. I highly criticize the genre for this lack of originality when so many titles are so similar with only so slight changes. If I already invested many hours into LoL , why should I move to another so similar title ? Because it has a different art style ? Because it has different PoV ? Different MOBA titles try to give different answers for this question and the answers this game provided did not convince me to throw away many hours of hard work . The mere fact I even have to think about it when I look at MOBA titles says something about the genre. You don't have such thoughts when you played SC2 for a while and now plan to buy CoH2 right ?
Using your logic CoH and SC2 are identical and thus mutually exclusive because they're both RTS's.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:03 am

You don't read it again. What I say that although they are both RTSs I don't have to think twice before I buy em about having a totally identical game already on my comp which is exactly what I feel when looking at a MOBA game.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:11 am

Iv121 wrote:You don't read it again.
Why would I?

If you're going to go and make a blanket statement that all MOBAs are identical and thus boring, then I'm saying RTS's are all identical and, therefore, boring. The shared concepts like lanes and lesser NPCs are to MOBAs like resource collection and base building are to RTS's.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:33 am

You know you're not going to win right ? especially if you do not read what I say, some of them are identical to THIS point:
Spoiler:
It is not the only thing that makes them so similar but it is a good example so don't bring me now that LoL has 4 other maps (3 of which are actually never played -.- )
In CoH2 and SC2 the difference is in maps, gameplay, mechanics, units, tactics, every single aspect you ca think of. The only thing that is in common for those two titles is that there are units that you move on the map.

If smite wants to convince me I need to play it and not other MOBAs it needs something much more solid than what it offers, again that jet thingy is going in a good direction and I hope it won't end up half baked.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:40 am

Iv121 wrote:You know you're not going to win right ?
A bit early for that kind of assertion. Boy, you're full of those, aren't you?
Iv121 wrote: if you do not read what I say,
You're right that I'm not going to read what you say if it's going to all be premature declarations of victory.

CoH builds units

SC2 builds units

CoH offers an isometric 3d perspective

SC2 offers an isometric 3d perspective

In COH you use map control to gain resources and triumph over your enemy

In SC2 you use map control to gain resources and triumph over your enemy.

Key concepts are shared, therefore, by your definition, they are obviously identical and no one should buy COH2 if they already have Starcraft II because they're clearly the same thing with different art styles, right? Right?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 am

Point is I read your arguments and answer properly, I respect your opinion, you do not read my arguments and in all the dumbness write exactly what I wrote about, really you argue just for the argument, you have no real point sry, had but not anymore when I made em invalid one by one. It will be this if you do not learn how to argue properly (that is read what your opponent says, bring convincing evidence and actually use your logic ... )

C’mon I came with 100 ways to counter my own argument and then to counter those counter arguments, that is really how a thinking person should do it as this way you actually get somewhere, you learn something and you get to the real truth and not to what you want to see as truth.

So yea show cancels proto. Tell me when you are ready to do it properly.