Futurecraft community gaming.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
X: Rebirth

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 am

(This is all ingame footage)

The best synopsis would be 'singleplayer EVE'. Or sci fi Skyrim, if you prefer.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: X: Rebirth

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:03 am

Oh all we lack now is Freespace 3 and Freelancer 2 and we have a full collection of the space combat sim genre ! Which makes me wonder if there are so many of them announced recently does that mean a rebirth of a genre or a competition that is going to kill any chance of it ?
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:09 am

I've noticed a sudden surge of the sci-fi genre. I blame Eve and other such games for producing the interest.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 13, 2013 5:53 am

Iv121 wrote:Oh all we lack now is Freespace 3 and Freelancer 2 and we have a full collection of the space combat sim genre ! Which makes me wonder if there are so many of them announced recently does that mean a rebirth of a genre or a competition that is going to kill any chance of it ? I mean Freelancer 3
The X games are Freelancer with better graphics and a protagonist you don't want to throw an anvil at. That'd be the best comparison, it's a little less story oriented though.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:56 am

Wait what an idiot I am, did I start writing something and stopped in the middle of it pressing post ? What a dumbbutt I am O.o , and freelancer 3 for some reason ...

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 13, 2013 6:02 am

Well, to be honest X is a lot better than freespace...it has the space combat, the capital ships, plus an immersive, expansive environment to do whatever you want in.

And Star Citizen is probably never coming out.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:12 am

Spoiler:
FreeSpace 2 has garnered high praise from most established reviewers. FreeSpace 2 has gone on to receive numerous "Game of the Year" awards for 1999, and was nominated for "Computer Simulation Game of the Year" in the 3rd Annual Interactive Achievement Awards, 2000.Every review has had high praise for FreeSpace 2's graphics. From the ships to the backgrounds, the reviewers were pleased with the details Volition had paid attention to, such as the thematic differences in the ship designs between the races, the textures and clarity of the backdrops, and even the realism of the explosions, though FiringSquad pointed out explosions from torpedo strikes were lower in quality. The nebulae feature was also praised for its rendered atmosphere, which reviewers described as tense and paranoia-inducing as they keep expecting enemy ships to appear out of the gases in a deadly ambush. Even though a couple of reviewers pointed the nebulae out as making them dizzy, they still liked the feature. Combatsim even claimed FreeSpace 2 was unrivaled among its space combat peers in the graphics department. The graphical standards were such that when XGP reviewed the Anniversary Edition in 2004, Wehbi found the graphics to stand up quite well with the recent games then.

GameSpot, in electing FreeSpace 2 as one of the "Greatest Games of All Time", pointed out that while most of the game's features could be found in its predecessor or peers, its "sheer quality of presentation and gameplay" was the key reason for their choice. Computer and Video Games has acknowledged it as offering the best dogfighting among the space combat classics. Ars Technica also posed FreeSpace 2 as the last significant stage in evolution of the space combat genre as of 2005.
That's from wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSpace_2 , so don't bash my fev space sim, you won't win :tongue: .

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Mon May 13, 2013 7:35 am

I'm working on getting the original X, the one that came out in 1999.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 am

Alright if you can swallow the graphics, it doesn't have such dedicated modding community as freespace, those guys actually made the graphics up to date :) (I mean for a game from 1999 ... )

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Spoiler:
FreeSpace 2 has garnered high praise from most established reviewers. FreeSpace 2 has gone on to receive numerous "Game of the Year" awards for 1999, and was nominated for "Computer Simulation Game of the Year" in the 3rd Annual Interactive Achievement Awards, 2000.Every review has had high praise for FreeSpace 2's graphics. From the ships to the backgrounds, the reviewers were pleased with the details Volition had paid attention to, such as the thematic differences in the ship designs between the races, the textures and clarity of the backdrops, and even the realism of the explosions, though FiringSquad pointed out explosions from torpedo strikes were lower in quality. The nebulae feature was also praised for its rendered atmosphere, which reviewers described as tense and paranoia-inducing as they keep expecting enemy ships to appear out of the gases in a deadly ambush. Even though a couple of reviewers pointed the nebulae out as making them dizzy, they still liked the feature. Combatsim even claimed FreeSpace 2 was unrivaled among its space combat peers in the graphics department. The graphical standards were such that when XGP reviewed the Anniversary Edition in 2004, Wehbi found the graphics to stand up quite well with the recent games then.

GameSpot, in electing FreeSpace 2 as one of the "Greatest Games of All Time", pointed out that while most of the game's features could be found in its predecessor or peers, its "sheer quality of presentation and gameplay" was the key reason for their choice. Computer and Video Games has acknowledged it as offering the best dogfighting among the space combat classics. Ars Technica also posed FreeSpace 2 as the last significant stage in evolution of the space combat genre as of 2005.
That's from wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSpace_2 , so don't bash my fev space sim, you won't win :tongue: .
I'm not bashing it. I'm saying X3 is better. There's a difference.

Besides, you haven't played X3, whereas I've played both. I'm really the only person in a position to express that kind of opinion here.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Wait I think you are mistaking FreeSPACE for FreeLANCER again ... Freelancer was nice but didn't enjoy the 5deg controls like the straight ones ... Felt too much like duck hunt.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 pm

No mistake.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:14 pm

You played freespace ? Freespace 2 ? Open source project freesapce 2 with all the graphics mods and freespace 1 redone in freespace 2 engine with freespace open ? AND YOU DIDNT TELL ME ?!

Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO

Post by Crash Override » Tue May 21, 2013 5:37 pm

I only played X3.

And i WANT A DANM CARRIER \O
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 am

Was it necessary ?