We may be getting a Red Orchestra 2 server

Futurecraft community gaming.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
We may be getting a Red Orchestra 2 server

Post by  ҉  » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:48 am

I just got RO2, and I've been disappointed to learn that you only gain stats/honor/experience/weapon upgrades while playing on ranked servers. Unfortunately, ranked servers seem to be few and far between these days, and there were only two or three available that were inhabited. So I'm looking into hosting my own—we'll see whether it turns out to be practical—and it requires that the server be hosted by a reputable gaming group. Well, I have one of those, so I'm probably gonna list FC on the application. If it happens and we get accepted, we'd have a password-protected server inhabited by a very few players and a lot of bots that you guys could use too, if you're interested.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: We may be getting a Red Orchestra 2 server

Post by Vinyl » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:19 am

Never heard of it.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 am

WW2 comrade simulator !
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Archduke Daynel, PhD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:ZIF

Post by Archduke Daynel, PhD » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Red Orchestra 2? You mean PTSD Simulator 1940?
BASH THE FASH CLASS WAR NOW

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:05 pm

I liked RO1, and what I've seen of the actual gameplay of RO2 looks at least as good, and probably better. I've had problems with it, though--the Steam page advertised its campaign, but the singleplayer parts of the game actually haven't been sold since September, and they didn't bother telling anybody that wasn't included in the package. All the campaign information has been removed from the Steam page as of Monday because I complained at the developer, but I still haven't heard back from Valve about getting the campaign, as it was among the things they said I was paying for (the people who bought it before September have it as a separate game in their Steam libraries, so granting it retroactively shouldn't be too much of a big deal). Leveling up only happens online on ranked servers, but the multiplayer looks pretty dead, which is why I want to host my own server with bots. You guys certainly don't need to play; I want the server for my own enjoyment, but if I have to claim it as a Futurecraft server (and it looks like I do) I think I should at least open it to you. And it still may not happen, of course; I don't know when I'll have time to really look into it.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:28 pm

I have a functional server. I still need to configure it, so name/password will come later, and I'll be submitting the application for a ranking hopefully within the next couple of hours. If anybody wants to play feel free to hop on when it's up.

EDIT:
FutureCraft Server
Password is 'fr0stbyte'
No guarantees on when/how often the server will actually be running, but it at least works.

Tell
Commander
Commander
IGN:tell276

Post by Tell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 am

Don't know how I didn't notice this until now, but I have Red Orchestra 2 in my steam library. How the fuck did it get in there?! Seeing how I have it, I guess I could join you

Really though, I don't remember purchasing it.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:41 am

I have a couple of temporary passes, if anybody wants to try it out.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 am

I could always host it on my server if you'd like.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Chairman_Tiel wrote:I could always host it on my server if you'd like.
This server's already up and running.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 pm

As far as I know you're doing it on your home PC
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote: No guarantees on when/how often the server will actually be running, but it at least works.
You're not going to get approval with that lol
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Chairman_Tiel wrote:As far as I know you're doing it on your home PC
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote: No guarantees on when/how often the server will actually be running, but it at least works.
You're not going to get approval with that lol
This isn't the first game I've hosted servers for. My Minecraft one worked fine with the setup I have; if it becomes a problem upgrading isn't difficult. As for approval, well. So be it. I can't say I'm terribly worried about that front. Again, if it's an issue, such problems are readily resolved.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 pm

lol if you didn't want my help you could have just said so instead of spouting a bunch of BS

no one here plays red orchestra 2. your sole goal with this, or more specifically, this here, is to get ranked approval so you and your antisocial self can actually get some unlocks without having to *gasp* interact with unfamiliar people.

I'm telling you that's not going to happen. Now, if your intention is to 'readily resolve' that obstacle by abandoning your aim, I'd suggest doing it at your earliest convenience.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Chairman_Tiel wrote:no one here plays red orchestra 2. your sole goal with this, or more specifically, this here, is to get ranked approval so you and your antisocial self can actually get some unlocks without having to *gasp* interact with unfamiliar people.
Yes. That is an accurate statement. I don't mind you guys playing on the server, but I can't say I'd be crushed if nobody did.
Chairman_Tiel wrote:I'm telling you that's not going to happen. Now, if your intention is to 'readily resolve' that obstacle by abandoning your aim, I'd suggest doing it at your earliest convenience.
I do not share your pessimism. You're suggesting that my hardware may not be acceptable, yes? If that proves to be the case, getting better hardware isn't a big deal. I don't understand what part of this you have a problem with. But yes, if it was not clear, I do not need your help hosting a server. Thank you for your offer.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:00 pm

The better hardware isn't the problem. It doesn't take much to run a gameserver. What it does take is a good connection and something called 'uptime', otherwise known as something utterly impossible using a home-based system unless it's a) independent of other hardware and b) allowed to run in a similarly autonymous (and perpetual) fashion. Your setup possesses neither attribute.

So unless you upped your internet plan and decided to spontaneously buy a serverbox that you'd be willing to leave on all the time, it's not happening - there's no real reason Tripwire would go on a limb and extend their backing to a guy intermittently hosting a server off his computer for a group of people that doesn't even play.

I hate this because you're sounding like half the kiddie minecraft hosts in the history of the game, and then anticipating, nay, expecting a company to lend you a privilege few actual hosts enjoy.

Frankly, I've played RO2 maybe twice so I don't really care, but this kind of naivete legitimately irritates me.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]