X: Beyond the Frontier

Futurecraft community gaming.
 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire
X: Beyond the Frontier

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm having problems getting through X:BTF's plot. The mission where you have to take out solar power plants in a Xenon sector has killed me maybe 7 times now. Basically there seem to be 3 endings: A, my fleet wrecks the Xenon fleet, everything seems clear, I blow up maybe 5 of the power plants, and then ~12 Xenon M3s seemingly spawn out of empty space around me and gank me; B, my fleet gets wrecked by the Xenon fleet and I am crushed under the mass of hundreds of enemy fighters; or C, everything seems to be going OK but suddenly I'm attacked by tons (dozens, I've no idea how many exactly) M5s, whose shots deal almost no damage but cause my screen to shake so much that I no longer have control over my ship in any meaningful sense--I can't even read my health bar because the entire panel is shaking fast enough to just be a multicolored blur. What's my strategy supposed to be here?
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Re: X: Beyond the Frontier

Post by Error » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:25 pm

SUDDENLY BAD GUYS

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Turn off screen damage shake.
Or cheat codes, those usually do the trick.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Shadowcat wrote:Turn off screen damage shake.
Or cheat codes, those usually do the trick.
I would love to do that but I don't think there's a way. I haven't seen an option, and anyway it's not just visual screen shake; the prow of my ship is flailing around like it's trying to hit a mosquito. If I'm not actively controlling the ship and I take a hit, I won't be travelling quite the same direction. You usually can't turn that off.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Plan C: Zig zag and drive far away

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:28 am

Quit playing broken levels O.o , its clearly not suppsoed to be like that so feel free to use console commands to solve it.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Finally did it, killed all the stuff, the entire sector was totally clear, I was headed out so I could save and three Xenon destroyers spawned in the middle of open space in my path. Didn't even fire weapons, just flew into me and rammed me to death.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Hello, mister game bug, nice to meet you.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Sounds smashing *ba dum tiss*

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:35 pm

I bought Borderlands instead.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu May 14, 2015 5:45 am

Necro but relevant: I finally beat this level. The strategy seems to be to hang way back and let the friendly fleet get slaughtered; they killed most of the Xenons so I only had to deal with two destroyers and a dozen or so fighters. Then I left the sector without completing the objectives so I could save, and then I went back in. As soon as the last power plant is destroyed, two more destroyers and a lot of fighters—my guess is 50, since I think I shot down 18 and that looked like less than half of them. I'm not convinced there's a way to kill that many fighters. The first time I tried it I tried to just go through them, since they were between me and the jumpgate, and there just wasn't any way. I killed one of the destroyers and the other one went derping off into the far corner of the sector, but once the cloud of fighters hit me I couldn't see the jumpgate on my map anymore because the enemy icons were completely obscuring it, and I couldn't see it out the windshield because I was shaking as described in the OP. The second time I tried it, I was careful to save the power plant closest to the gate for last so I'd be as close to it as possible when the enemies spawned, and I just ran away from them. They caught up about two kilometers out from the gate, but the destroyers seem hesitant to ram if they're not coming head on, so I was able to get out into Atreus Clouds.