Futurecraft community gaming.
Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Nivanshae
IGN:_Shadowcat_
Re: Space Engineers

Post by Shadowcatbot » Sun May 10, 2015 4:15 pm

>implying people won't just use their ships.

Also, warheads, fun times. Especially when you fill every open spot in your ship with them and fly into the enemy base.
In yo ceiling, stealin yo wires

Do not open. Ever. At all. Enter at your own risk to life and limb.
Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Sun May 10, 2015 4:18 pm

@Shadowcat Error is more than likely talking about dedicated drop pods taking advantage of the gravity planets will have, possibly by maybe only having retrograde thrusters
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sun May 10, 2015 5:38 pm

Yup. Cheaper than ships and smaller targets, too.

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Post by Vinyl » Sun May 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Yes, a chair with a bit of thrust and some ablative landing armor would be very much cheaper than ship. Though, you'd still need a ship to get you back off the planet however. But, it is one less risked ship.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Error

Post by Error » Sun May 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Lose a drop pod, oh well, you lost one or two dudes and a few materials. Lose a ship? A tad more expensive.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Clearly your ship is too small then, add more drills, try again.

anyone remember star made planet disk nommers?

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]

Error

Post by Error » Thu May 14, 2015 7:01 am

The hillariously oversized/overpowered planeteaters? Yup.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:23 am

Haven't played this game for a while.

Drop pods will be shit and useless, because there's no way back. Rather, I think it'll be more VTOL drop ships which can go really fast. The reason for this is that they can carry more, and that bullets move really fast. Dtop pods are made for shock strikes on hostile bases, but with auto turrets they'll be rekt. They're also useless except as escape pods, because you can't get back up to the orbiting Endurance ship
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Wed May 20, 2015 7:03 am

The idea is drop pods land your troops quickly and with fewer casualties; after their operation, dropship/s retrieve them. You don't land them with the dropships because a) dropships are *, slow targets and b) they've far more expensive to lose than a drop pod.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Why don't we just fire large gravity generator railguns from orbit on the enemy base? Warheads/large heavy armor rods should be enough to utterly shred parts of the enemy base. Get a good enough gunner to hit the generator area and you'll be golden.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Wed May 20, 2015 11:03 pm

If the enemy is smart they can counteract rods with their own gravity. While it's very unlikely they can counterattack with them, the least they can do is soften the hit. And it's as simple as jacking up the G's negatively.

Shadowcatbot
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Shadowcatbot » Thu May 21, 2015 6:15 am

Yes but if they do that their people will fly off as well. Unless they want to jet pack everywhere. They could place the generator above the buildings but then they'd be exposed to angled attacks. And that's assuming they were dumb enough to actually build their base above ground.

Right, back to ramming it with a ship, let's put drone equipment and small thrusters on the railgun round and get an orbital bombardment missile.

Trigger warning
Bot gore warning
Memetic biohazard
Error bait
Spoiler:

Error

Post by Error » Thu May 21, 2015 7:05 am

Drop pods also enable you to, say, capture said facility instead of obliterating it?

And just bombarding it from orbit deprives you of said capture or the resources stemming from it. And ramming it with a ship is expensive; just slap a rod from god into it (planetary gravity will apparently work on ships without mass blocks).

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Vinyl » Thu May 21, 2015 8:10 am

They won't fly off if they have a roof.