FUTURECRAFT

Futurecraft community gaming.
Crash Override
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:Darkstar Security CO
FUTURECRAFT

Post by Crash Override » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:14 pm

What about a Sins of a Solar Empire futurecraft mod?
" We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us criminals.We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religous bias... and you call us criminals.You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the
criminals.Yes, I am a crimial. My crime is that of curiosity."

EMPRAH * BRUVA

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: FUTURECRAFT

Post by Vinyl » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Well we'd need ships to model for starters...
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:[redacted]
IGN:Ivan2006

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 am

I could sketch some ships for the MQR and we could add some of CvN's Minecraft-built ships (most notably the drone carrier) and make it the EC, but we'd still need someone who'd model them and someone who is able to code the mod. While there are tutorials, we'd still have to do things such as custom effects (psionic abilities for MQR ships -maybe a simple nerf effect on nearby enemies would suffice- and stealth for Darkstar -we might be able to do something with the non-agression code for envoys and an accuracy nerf on enemies, but then they still could be seen all the time, so we will either have to make sacrifices in their effectivity (which might even be a good idea gameplay-wise, as actual invisibility may be a game-breaker) or go into a very large ammount of effort- or shield ships for the Strigiforme -which might just work with a shield buff for all nearby friendly ships-) NeoRome would propably not require that much in terms of special abilities, but we'd also have to decide which factions to merge anyway, as some factions could not submit the neccessary ammount of ship classes for a faction in SoaSE on their own.
Quotes:
Spoiler:
CMA wrote:IT'S MY HOT BODY AND I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
Tiel wrote:hey now no need to be rough
Daynel wrote: you can talk gay and furry to me any time
CMA wrote:And I can't fuck myself, my ass is currently occupied

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:18 am

Already looked at the model format for SoaSE. Have no idea how to do it.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:14 am

I have. It's doable and something I've considered before, but seeing as we're already working on something similar that you wouldn't need another game to play...
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:19 am

Wait you can mod SoaSE?
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 am

Its easier to make a mod rather than a new game , the results will be better and the project itself is more feasible for you which is why for now it is a better project for you over an RTS, and yes proto you can mod SoSE
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:27 am

No, not at all in this instance. :tongue:
Last edited by Chairman_Tiel on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:53 am

What model format does it require?
I have access to industrial-standard CAD-software through my school. (MicroStation)
Here's a list of formats it can export to:
DXF, RDL, IGES, Parasolid, ACIS SAT, CGM, STEP, VRML World, STL, Google Earth KML, U3D, Visible Edges & 2D
I just need one of those to be compatible with SoaSE or have a free software that can convert them and I could do some modeling.
I am just not sure how I would do the texturing side of things; that program isn't exactly meant for modeling game-content.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:05 am

Ivan2006 wrote:What model format does it require?
I have access to industrial-standard CAD-software through my school. (MicroStation)
Here's a list of formats it can export to:
DXF, RDL, IGES, Parasolid, ACIS SAT, CGM, STEP, VRML World, STL, Google Earth KML, U3D, Visible Edges & 2D
I just need one of those to be compatible with SoaSE or have a free software that can convert them and I could do some modeling.
I am just not sure how I would do the texturing side of things; that program isn't exactly meant for modeling game-content.
My friend, you really don't know how this works, do you? I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but you're not exactly off to a good start here :P

You're not going to be able to use that software for SOASE modding, no. From the website, "MicroStation is the world’s leading 2D and 3D CAD and information modeling software explicitly for the architecture, engineering, construction, and operation of utility systems, roads and rail, bridges, buildings, communications networks, water and wastewater networks, process plants, mining, and more."

It's a CAD application, which means it doesn't handle meshes in a way that are compatible with the fundamentals of...well, any other project involving models I can think of. They're designed to enable architects and the like to convey a visual image and aren't much use outside of that.

SOASE uses .MESH files if I remember right. These are exported from XSI SoftImage (a free program, XSI Mod Tool, is also available) using an exporter you can find on the soase website. Note that you can also make models in other applications like Blender or Wings3D, but for the final ingaming they must be processed through XSI.

Texturing isn't even done in the modelling app. A UV map is made/generated and you texture that in your program of choice. You then export that separately.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am

Well some formats keep the meshes and textures together, for TES modelling for example the .nif format keeps textures, animations, collision and material in one file. In SoSE I think there might be a need to signify the location of weapons and thrusters judging by the nature of the game (I assume the lasers and beams are leaving out of a very specific spot, that spot should be indicated for the program), either way its not a pure mesh anymore.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:14 am

Iv121 wrote:Well some formats keep the meshes and textures together, for TES modelling for example the .nif format keeps textures, animations, collision and material in one file. In SoSE I think there might be a need to signify the location of weapons and thrusters judging by the nature of the game (I assume the lasers and beams are leaving out of a very specific spot, that spot should be indicated for the program), either way its not a pure mesh anymore.
A .nif or .esm is pretty much an archive file by any other name. Looking at my install, Sins uses .MESH files for models made via the ConvertXSI tool; textures are stored separately in the \Textures as tga files. Weapon hardpoints are created using dummy objects in the export that are named appropriately. I believe these are converted into Weapon Emitters with some text manipulation later on.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 am

Okay, so I take it I propably won't be able to do anything related to modelling with that program.
I won't be much of a help then, except with concept art.
Quotes:
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:59 am

...well if you aren't, then who's doing this :?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ivan2006
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Ivan2006 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 am

Well, I might look into blender and read some tutorials on how to SoaSE, but I can't access x90x.net,-I get a 404- which is where they appearently have the instructions for stuff.
Quotes:
Spoiler: