Futurecraft community gaming.
CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
Affiliation:White
IGN:Nevank
Star Craft?

Post by CommanderKobialka » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 pm

So... as you know, I'm moving to South Korea and they're all obsessed with Star Craft. Seeing as there are no Planetside 2 servers, and my ping will be off the charts on War Thunder and Team Fortress 2 servers, I will need to get used to playing Star Craft... a lot. Anyone else here play it? Praises? Criticisms? Concerns? Comments?
Throw the commies in the drink so my country can be free!

Vinyl
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Affiliation:Hexalan
IGN:PCaptainRexK

Re: Star Craft?

Post by Vinyl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Well, Starcraft and Starcract Brood War were better IMO (I did try Wings of Liberty). My best advice is to practice. A lot. Until you get absurd APM. And remember, Terran is the only real choice.
cats wrote:I literally cannot be wrong about this fictional universe

Professor Fenway
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Affiliation:Novus Roma

Post by Professor Fenway » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 pm

You must construct additional Pylons.

Srs... if you're going Starcraft, go with the original one. Brood war, specifically. It had excellent story combined with excellent game play.

It's old but you can find ways to get it to run without issues.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 am

Well it has it's shortcomings, it has much less strategic options and built mainly on quick reaction times, I like fast paced strategies but even those give me enough time to choose my approach out of a vast array of possible tactics without memorizing every possible shortcut button on my keyboard. In lower ranks it also comes down to absurd spam of units rather than unit selection or unit placement lets say (improves with rank but the problem remains). I always loved CoH for that even if your enemy has a horde of infantry coming up your way lets say, a well placed MG, mortar or even a single APC can wreck havoc to the whole formation, spamming troops won't cut it though in the hands of a good player the combined firepower of these troops can be quite useful.

Also for a strategy game a 15 minute match is absurdly short.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am

Never play competetively. It's just click spam. Literally, apm is the only deciding factor in competetive play, because strategy and tactics are just deathballing.

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 pm

While SC is an option, I know for a fact you can play Wargame AB in Korea
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 pm

I like SoaSE vastly more than SC. I played SoaSE first and had real trouble going from three-dimensional seamless zoom freecam of awesome to a camera you can't really effect. Also, I hated the interface (hated is the wrong word. It was OK, just bad compared to SoaSE IMO). Also, like people have said, super long matches > super short matches. And pretty much the only tactic I've ever seen the admittedly few times I've watched people play it is: 1. See what unit the enemy is spamming (they're always spamming one unit). 2. Spam that unit's counter. 3, They spam your unit's counter. 4. Repeat until one person wins. That does nothing for me.

Anyway, you can play PS2 just fine. Hop on Connery with all the other Asians. I'm told there's a big enough Chinese playerbase that there's reasonable population there during Asian primetime, not just US West.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Connery is an Asian server? Strange... I've been playing on that the whole time... There seems to be an awful lot of English speaking people with American accents... Anyways... here I am. I'm in a hotel on the military base. The hotel has better internet that my home did back in America which is awesome. I've spent the last few days looking at homes off base with my family. They heat all the homes from the floor here so it's a lot more efficient because heat rises. +your feet never get cold. Everything here seems better except for the roads. They are way too thin and Koreans are reckless drivers. They have green lights, yellow lights, and red lights just like back in America but they also have flashing yellow lights which mean you "should" be cautious, and flashing red lights which mean you "should" stop. They roads are way too narrow in places. There's so much construction going on around here not just inside the base but also in town and they have so much extra construction equipment and materials. Where do they put all the extra crap you ask? Everywhere. Every empty lot is full of garbage. It's stuffed into alleyways, and I've even seen it in the streets. Korean people will do anything to get a few extra bucks from people. Made the mistake of glancing at a pair of gloves today and stood there for ten minutes while the shop owner offered me lower and lower prices. I didn't even have any money... Also thought I could eat healthier here but... the base has a Taco Bell, Anthony's Pizza, Baskin Robbins, Burger King, some Italian place that sells wings, and a Subway (which is a little better) and nothing else. I start school on base on Monday which is Sunday for most of you. My Dad's coworker tells me they spent 80 million dollars on the new school. I took a tour of it yesterday. It's built to hold about 2,000 students and looks really nice but it only has a little over 300 enrolled which sounds like a complete waste of money to me.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:34 am

If I were them and I already wasted all that money I would import there some of the best teachers from America and open it up as some sort of a private school for the local populace too. Not only you can now provide your own ppl with education but also you can make it self sustainable thanks to Korean students who seek some higher level of education, though that would mean that the material studied in this school should be adapted to the Korean program AND the American one but Im pretty positive they can do it.

CommanderKobialka
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post by CommanderKobialka » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:26 am

Iv121 wrote:If I were them and I already wasted all that money I would import there some of the best teachers from America and open it up as some sort of a private school for the local populace too. Not only you can now provide your own ppl with education but also you can make it self sustainable thanks to Korean students who seek some higher level of education, though that would mean that the material studied in this school should be adapted to the Korean program AND the American one but Im pretty positive they can do it.
The base is only 30% done and what's planned is mostly civilian housing. Now that I think about it, they're probably planning on a population increase.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 am

Mistake Not... wrote:And pretty much the only tactic I've ever seen the admittedly few times I've watched people play it is: 1. See what unit the enemy is spamming (they're always spamming one unit). 2. Spam that unit's counter. 3, They spam your unit's counter. 4. Repeat until one person wins.

You mean to say this isn't every RTS ever in a shellnut?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 am

Go play some CoH mate and show me how you gonna win with spam. OFC numbers matter it will be dumb if not but first of all if someone allowed you to accumulate numbers they already lost regardless of how you plan to finish them off and for a normal match a single barrage can annihilate all your accumulated numbers in a big black crater.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 am

See tanks? Build anti-tank units. See infantry? Upgrade your own infantry, build anti-infantry.

RTS is all about intuitively countering the enemy, so it's really unfair to criticize Starcraft for upholding it as a pillar of gameplay. Especially when SOASE is a much more grievous offender on that count.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:50 am

Well yes but the Q is how far you go with this system, SC dumbs it down to unbearable proportions, the CoH equation of the rock-paper-scissors is superior to it, so much depth and so many possibilities to attack or counter, and not only that but terrain, AoS, map control, unit placement and many other things factor in your strategy in addition to the rock-paper-scissors, in SC by comparison so many of those factors are either dumbed down to unbearable proportions or removed entirely, SC doesn't have even nearly as much strategic depth as some other RTSs out there, making it really overrated in my opinion.

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm

You are referring to tactic Rock Paper Scissors.

X beats Y. Y beats Z. Z beats X.

Simplification of how things actually work, but the best bet for an RTS. I prefer RTTsor TBTs, they force you to use limited resources intelligently as opposed to spamming new units.