Tiel wrote:strategic retard Valerian
lol

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Re: Well, HOTS is out

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Kill them all is still not a valid order ... And those scenes in-between when the brood mothers join her and she orders every single one of them to slaughter a planet in order to join her ? I don’t think they warned them before attacking the planets … While half of the time she acts reasonably the other half of the time she is well ... not.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 am

Tiel wrote:Also, you do see Sarah ordering elements of the swarm to take over entire planets, the broodmothers of which probably unlikely to show any mercy to noncombatants, but it's a necessary evil. Sort of like how Allied bombers began to devastate * factories and other civilian targets to tear down the base that allowed them to make war, or, you know, nuked Japan and begged for them to surrender so the people living it wouldn't have to live up to their oath to defend their land to the last man. If Mengsk had his hands on more war material the Battle for Korhal would've been much more dragged out and devastating to the civie populace. So no. Kerrigan is not a bad guy. The Zerg are good guys now. I think that was sorta the point of HotS; they stand ready to defend against <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID> alongside the Terran Republic (lol!) and Brotoss.
How about you actually read my post before making a rebuttal :tongue:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 am

Ok, then I will answer your post. It is a fact that the nuclear bomb on Japan was not necessary for the surrender and actually took more lives than it would save, murdering colonies from outside (which have millions of people in them) is even further than that, that is annihilation of civilians claiming that they help the military effort. There is a reason why militaries nowadays don’t do it and those who do it are called terrorists. Civilian casualties are inevitable but you don't murder them on purpose, even if this sometimes mean they might "help the war effort".

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 am

Tiel pretty much nailed the whole thing. Kerrigan (QoB 2.0) keeps her personality this time 'round, meaning she still cares about the Terrans ('cept Arcturus, he's a complete *) and, to some extent, the Brotoss (apologizing to the Protoss scientist before using her to send a larva to the Brotoss ship). She cares about the Swarm, too, and seems to have this pet 'ling with her (at least in the beginning; aboard Jimmy's dropship and the leviathan). Thus, the Swarm have become the quasi-good guys.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 am

Toss Zerg Friendship Buddies!
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

Well not bad considering the zerg are a weapon of mass destruction ... Still there are specific ethics in war and the zerg pretty much give no damn about it. That doesn't mean they can't fight but that does mean you cannot call them morally correct.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:31 am

Compared to before - I mean, look at Abathur - then yeah, they've certainly learned a ton about ethics. Seriously, Kerrigan may not be the picture of friendship, but she is better than the zerg.

But saying there is ethics in galactic war is false. Aliens do not have the same ethics as humans. So a zerg army would not expect mercy, nor would they give it. The strongest survive. But that changes with the QOB. Would you like her to bow kindly to Warfield and say, "Good day sir, I believe you are General Warfield? You may make yourself at home in my leviathan, but I fear I must treat you as a prisoner."
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 am

Why not, he is not threat to her after all, even though I think he well take it as sarcasm ...

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Iv121 wrote:Why not, he is not threat to her after all, even though I think he well take it as sarcasm ...
Take a look at my signature. Then consider re-reading my post.

Warfield's wounds were fatal. He knew that, but I don't think Kerri did, as she gave him a relatively quick and painless death compared to what he would've suffered in retribution for mentioning Jim.

And he was a threat. He was one of Mengsk's top generals, and I think he might've actually been the supreme commander of the Dominion's military, hence Valerian's requisitioning of him when he executed his failtastic invasion of Char.
Iv121 wrote: Ok, then I will answer your post. It is a fact that the nuclear bomb on Japan was not necessary for the surrender and actually took more lives than it would save, murdering colonies from outside (which have millions of people in them) is even further than that, that is annihilation of civilians claiming that they help the military effort. There is a reason why militaries nowadays don’t do it and those who do it are called terrorists. Civilian casualties are inevitable but you don't murder them on purpose, even if this sometimes mean they might "help the war effort".
It is not a fact. While I am not a diehard American patriot and willingly admit to the fact my government has absolutely screwed over everyone on that planet by conducting countless nuclear tests and thereby introducing cancerous diseases to the world at large, I'm adamant that the nuclear warheads on Nagasaki and Hiroshima were necessary. It even went sorta like kerrigan's retaking of Char -
  • US regains pacific war theater, tells Japan to surrender.
  • Japan refuses
  • US begins firebombing Japan in hopes of forcing their hand.
  • Japan refuses
  • At this point, the US realizes that the only option available to it would be a bloody D-Day-esque invasion of the Japanese mainland itself (Operation Downfall) in which both sides would suffer grueling casualties
  • US offers surrender again, threatening "prompt and utter destruction" in the Potsdam Declaration.
  • Japan refuses yet again, and Hiroshima, a "minor supply and logistics base for the Japanese military" is nuked. Japan is silent.
  • The second nuclear bomb is unleashed on Nagasaki.
  • Allies practically beg Japan to surrender, and the government finally concedes.
And in each cutscene where the Broodmothers offered their allegiance to Sarah, she directed them to destroy Terran targets of military value to the Dominion, such as factory worlds and stations for its fleet. It's not like she said "go murder this planet with millions of civilians on it because I want to send Mengsk a message"; that's what she did back when she was the Queen of Blades under the influence of <SECRET ANTAGONIST TO BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID> - here the planets taken over were purely strategic targets, not acts of terrorism. We don't call the Allies terrorists because they had to take out civie targets to weaken the Nazee war machine, because it's firmly established that Hitler was pretty much despotically evil with a touch of crazy. The same applies to Mengsk; while he didn't consign his people to concentration camps...oh, wait, he totally did.

A few civilians dead on one world to save trillions more is worth the price, but that's besides the point, because Kerri wasn't there commanding the broods to butcher every last woman and child. She just told them to take the worlds, and realized that telling them to give lollipops to every noncombatant when invading would loosen their respect for her and maybe even cause them break off from the Swarm again, murdering much more innocents than had they been under her control. A necessary price to take out a dictator.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:16 pm

It's not all that easy. Factory worlds are usually big ones with a lot of population (someone needs to work there ... look at where all our world's factories are located ) and those brood mothers definitely do not know how to define valid and invalid targets, hell even we as humans don't always know. Finally as you said Warfield was dying so he was no threat to her so she could as well say those sarcastic words to him though due to the fact he dies there is no much point in capturing him.
As always in war ethics it is a double sided coin.

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Kerrigan's on the level with Kratos as far as trying and failing to do the right thing in the absolute worst possible way goes.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Iv121 wrote:It's not all that easy. Factory worlds are usually big ones with a lot of population (someone needs to work there ... look at where all our world's factories are located ) and those brood mothers definitely do not know how to define valid and invalid targets, hell even we as humans don't always know. Finally as you said Warfield was dying so he was no threat to her so she could as well say those sarcastic words to him though due to the fact he dies there is no much point in capturing him.
As always in war ethics it is a double sided coin.
I never said factory worlds didn't have large populations. I said that the fact that Kerrigan can't oversee every single Zerg operation to minimize civilian casualties doesn't make her evil, or a terrorist, for that matter. As someone pointed out earlier, the Zerg have far different morals and standards, they'd see her condemning killing the enemy as a sign of weakness and leave her again. Not at all like modern militaries where you literally have to phone up the CO to shoot someone firing an AK-47 at you (gee, I wonder why we're so ineffective).

As far as Warfield is concerned, the reason she killed him was because he brought up Jim, who she believes at this point has been killed by the government Horace serves. From her perspective it was probably like "hey spare these transports...wait, what the f**k. You freaking b**ch! What would raynor think-" It struck a nerve, I imagine. But you have to give her credit for fulfilling his request just the same.

Overall HotS isn't Blizzard's best writing; Pat's brought up the fact that she's all "don't experiment on humans!" and then decides in a later battle that she needs to infest humans and send them as cannon fodder against the terrans. Bit of a double standard there.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Yea which makes her evil all over again :tongue: , a questionable person ... I don't see the story in those details though .

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Interesting snippet from a comic:

Apparently it was bottoms up even before infestation.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]