Starcraft 2

Futurecraft community gaming.
Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign
IGN:Avenger_7
Re: Well, HOTS is out

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

So losing 3 lings and gaining however many more there were (didn't count, but it was more than I lost) is inefficient? I fail to see how saving 150+ minerals is a bad thing in any situation.

By the way, Broodmothers were created by the QoB, who actually talked like a human if you played the first 3 campaigns...

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Post by Pat22 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:So losing 3 lings and gaining however many more there were (didn't count, but it was more than I lost) is inefficient? I fail to see how saving 150+ minerals is a bad thing in any situation.

By the way, Broodmothers were created by the QoB, who actually talked like a human if you played the first 3 campaigns...
Maybe so, but they're still zerg and their intelligence is quite limited. This is easily demonstrated in the campaign when Zagara fails not only to understand superior tactics and strategies but also any kind of human sentiment at all.

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Pat22 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:So losing 3 lings and gaining however many more there were (didn't count, but it was more than I lost) is inefficient? I fail to see how saving 150+ minerals is a bad thing in any situation.

Maybe so, but they're still zerg and their intelligence is quite limited. This is easily demonstrated in the campaign when Zagara fails not only to understand superior tactics and strategies but also any kind of human sentiment at all.
True, but irrelevant.

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am

Tiel Attentus wrote:My brother's account is called Yamoto.

It is fun, though. I was the ace of my team in my second match. BUT FREAKING VOID RAYS!
Lol, VR's are only good if they're faster than you are.

I need the ID number for the account though, it should show it to you when you go to the 'friends' tab and try to add a friend. It's the number just below the text box.
For example, I'm Avarice with code 959.

Dux_Tell31
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Tellrim
IGN:tell31

Post by Dux_Tell31 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:18 pm

My brother (aka tell) got HoTS & WoL for his Birthday, but I haven't looked at the campaign yet because i'm going to get the expansion for my own Battle.net account.
"This is Minecraft, sir. We don't make physics, we ruin them." -Fr0stbyte124
"We are made of the elements out in space, in essense we are the universe discovering itself" -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Post by Error » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 am

I've had WoL on the shelf for a while, I think I'll install it at some point soon.
I'm watching YogscastRythian's playthrough of HotS. Looks OK, but the campaign does seem a bit short.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 am

Well I guess you ply the campaign for story and the multiplayer for more gameplay ... In that matter the story is indeed weird in the fact that I felt Kerrigan was the antagonist of her own story : the Queen of Blades - murderer of billions , did she become human just to be a monster again ? That stuff is raised throughout the story and she is definitely not a good character ...
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

Iv121 wrote:Well I guess you ply the campaign for story and the multiplayer for more gameplay ... In that matter the story is indeed weird in the fact that I felt Kerrigan was the antagonist of her own story : the Queen of Blades - murderer of billions , did she become human just to be a monster again ? That stuff is raised throughout the story and she is definitely not a good character ...
No.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 am

What no ? Not a good character or "you're wrong " ? (By not good I mean evil ... well not exactly but you get the point)

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I actually think Kerrigan is an excellent character. The important thing that I pointed out earlier, Iv, is that she isn't the same entity as the first Queen of Blades. The interaction is similar to the Jean Grey/Pheonix relationship from the X-men, where you essentially have two consciousness sharing the same body, although the QoB was removed by the Xel'Naga artifact. The Primal Queen isn't the original QoB, she's more like an upgraded version of Kerrigan, and her goal isn't to wipe out everyone but to take on Amon.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Yea she just murdered half of the dominion included civilians and wounded (The conquest of char actually has it in the dialogs) . That is even worse that now she is actually in control of herself and yet she is still the same monster who would do anything to achieve her revenge. She might try to do it for some noble goals but she is still a mass murderer, even Jim who loved her is disgusted by her ...

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Iv121 wrote:Yea she just murdered half of the dominion included civilians and wounded (The conquest of char actually has it in the dialogs) . That is even worse that now she is actually in control of herself and yet she is still the same monster who would do anything to achieve her revenge. She might try to do it for some noble goals but she is still a mass murderer, even Jim who loved her is disgusted by her ...
You are wrong.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Avenger_7
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Avenger_7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah, after she killed Warfield on Char she pulled her forces back, she also moved to avoid civilian cassualties in the assault on Korhal. Also, she made good with Jimmy at the end of the campaign.

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Yea actually reviewed it again and she left some of the shuttles but she still murdered too many. I don't see any way she can justify it. Even when she pulled her troops out of the city giving time for evac she said casualties will be in the millions. She killed a lot, it's part of her and the swarm, that was the choice she made at the spawning pool that is what she is ready to do out anger, because she let it drive her. Hatred is a good fuel just lacks means of stopping until the fuel runs out . That fact also gives the story it's unique flavor, you play the bad guys, you know it, good guys don't order "kill them all".

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Kerrigan is a good character. She is troubled, but her heart is in the right place.

She slaughtered millions as the *original* Queen of Blades, but that was under the influence of the <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID>, a secret ingredient in Sarah's original Chrysalis. After Raynor fired that beam thingy at her it was removed, but she still desired vengeance for Mengsk's betrayal. Raynor brought acted as a significant stabilizer for her rage. You'll note that when she unleashed the zerg on the Umojan facility absolutely 0 lab personnel were harmed. Later on in the 3rd mission while she did say "leave no survivors" she realized what she was doing and caught herself before going back into orbit and trying to contact Jim, saying she knew there was "something dark inside her", before she finds out that Raynor's been executed by Mengsk.

Imagine that. The one constant in her life taken away by the man that also stole her humanity in a ruthless betrayal of trust. So she goes and takes control of the Swarm again, murders a bunch of Brotoss who were trying to call some 'Golden Armada' on her. Next, Zeratul pops up in her ship and tells her of the role she'd fill in the coming events concerning <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID>. Sarah replies saying she thinks the prophecy is hogwash, but big Z still tells her where to get the power she'd need to take on <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID>, or at least withstand him so that the Swarm is not used by <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID> to fulfill the plans of the <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID>. So, Kerri goes down to the surface of Zerus (I think that was the name) and enters the cocoon not knowing what would happen, just that she'd have the power to exact revenge (she still doesn't believe in prophecy at this point).

Anyway, she emerges as QoB reborn, fabulous as ever, but do note that she doesn't stylize herself as such at any later point in the campaign. At this point in time she has full control of herself, too, a stark difference from before. So, the next thing that happens (at least in my particular playthrough; you can go through the missions in an entirely different order) is the attack on Char to regain control of the planet, she discovers Warfield trololololololololing there, and decides that he needs to be evicted. After the first mission here where Sarah gets her own personal Starscream, she begins her attack on Warfields base, warning him several times to just cede the planet to her before shooting the crap out of his Gorgon class Battlecruisers and advancing on the facility itself. Once more, she offers to let the Dominion leave at least a dozen more times, but Horace refuses, until the citadel itself is compromised. At this point Kerri strides in and finds Warfield pinned to the floor with a mortal injury (it was going to kill him either way), talking to the evac shuttles on the com who are basically screwed. He demands that she let them go, but when she offers no response he calls her a few names and then brings up "what would Raynor think-?"

Big mistake.

You have to consider at this point in time that Warfield is the lieutenant of Mengsk, who Sarah has been led to believe has killed Jim. For him to bring that up...well. Not wise. In a flash of rage she propels the pillar embedded in the general further within his body, puncturing his heart and killing him instantly (a much less agonizing death than what he probably would have suffered, by the way). And yet, even still, she honors his last request and lets the dropships leave Char, following up on all her earlier offered concessions. Sarah then contacts Hyperion again and asks for help finding Jimmy boy, and also inquires Valerian as to where he stands as far as her killing his dad. He responds, saying Arcturus is "irredeemable".

So Sarah frees Jimmy, who upon seeing Kerrigan again is utterly disgusted with her apparently willingly giving up her humanity a second time, making all his efforts null and causing him to blame her for all the destruction she caused as QoB (he doesn't know that those events were not fully under her control). So, that's the end of Jim and Sarah's relationship, and probably the last time we'll see Kerri...cry? Did she cry? I think she did. Later, more stuff happens, then Kerrigan prepares for the final attack on Korhal, whereon she contacts Hyperion again to talk to Valerian again, saying that the Dominion will need a leader after Mengsk is killed. See, this marks a dramatic change in her persona here. She no longer cares only about seeking revenge, but also about deposing a leader that's dictated over the Terran people for years. She cares about what happens to them, something that's further brought out by her acceptance of Valerian's request to avoid civilian centers and land her forces outside the cities so that a majority of the noncombatants can get out okay, a move that leaves her a huge strategic disadvantage.

So she deploys her Zerg on the surface, only to find out that Mengsk is willing to throw away the lives of everyone under them to ensure his own safety. In one mission he even deployed nukes on the very civilian centers Sarah was trying to protect, missing the Swarm entirely, I might add. The soldiers Kerrigan had to kill on the way to his palace were in a patriotic fervor inspired by Mengsk, willing to lay their lives down to the last man to defend the Emperor. Sarah eventually breaches the palace and kills Mengsk, as everyone expected, and promptly departs the planet to search out and prepare for <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID>.

My point here is that Kerri is not a bad guy, or girl, as it were. The story isn't your typical Hero's Journey like Wings of Liberty in that it starts with a clear-cut protagonist with values and ends with a clear-cut protagonist with values, it's one about change. Kerrigan is troubled, not sure what to think and desperately clinging on to her goal of killing Mengsk, not sure what else she'd do. As she grows to accept her role in events to come, however, we see her gradually soften and become more of a contemporary protagonist, to the point of sacrificing entire hordes of Zerg to satisfy strategic retard Valerian's request. Remember, she cares for each one of them, seeing as you see her fly into disgust whenever she finds someone experimenting on them. Also, you do see Sarah ordering elements of the swarm to take over entire planets, the broodmothers of which probably unlikely to show any mercy to noncombatants, but it's a necessary evil. Sort of like how Allied bombers began to devastate * factories and other civilian targets to tear down the base that allowed them to make war, or, you know, nuked Japan and begged for them to surrender so the people living it wouldn't have to live up to their oath to defend their land to the last man. If Mengsk had his hands on more war material the Battle for Korhal would've been much more dragged out and devastating to the civie populace. So no. Kerrigan is not a bad guy. The Zerg are good guys now. I think that was sorta the point of HotS; they stand ready to defend against <SECRET BAD GUY THAT WILL BE REVEALED IN LEGACY OF THE VOID> alongside the Terran Republic (lol!) and Brotoss.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]