Sim city

Futurecraft community gaming.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Re: Sim city

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 pm

You do realize that some guy found out the game didn't even need online to run properly, like EA claimed? I'd never buy anything from that kinda shady crap.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:Strigiforme
IGN:ACH0225

Post by ACH0225 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm

I told you before, it isn't always online. It can run just fine single player offline.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Fri May 24, 2013 5:03 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shiva
Midshipman
Midshipman
Affiliation:Manticore

Post by Shiva » Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Tiel wrote:The fact remains it's a terrible game that no one should subject themselves to. Always-on DRM is a deal-breaker for me, especially after the fiasco at release that proved there's no guarantee they can keep their servers up.
There's actually a patch to turn the servers-on requirement OFF... just search for it.
Velocitas eradico; At terminatio velocitas, celeritas occidit.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 am

Is it by EA though, or a 3rd party?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Despite the deep seated and very misplaced distrust of Sim City 5 by Tiel, I have purchased it and downloaded it. Now it is installing.
fr0stbyte124 wrote:5 months from now, I will publish a paper on an efficient method for rendering millions of owls to a screen.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 5:49 pm

ACH0225 wrote:Despite the deep seated and very misplaced distrust of Sim City 5 by Tiel, I have purchased it and downloaded it. Now it is installing.
I don't distrust SimCity. It actually looked pretty cool when I first saw it back in November. But I distrust the people who make it and their business practices, and I realize that by purchasing it I'm only encouraging them to continue such behavior. Good luck maintaining an Always-On connection in Cuuyth.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:57 pm

I've told you before; you don't need always on. Even if you keep it turned on, it takes 27 minutes to reset.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Every source online indicates it does in fact have that 'feature', and you need an illegal patch to disable it. I don't see why you keep insisting on denying it...had I been in your position I would've just gotten a privateer copy.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Pirate copies are morally incorrect. They disrupt the entire gaming industry. You see, when a developer makes a game, indie or otherwise, he gets royalties from the game(usually). This means that if you get an illegal copy of the game, you're not only making it so EA or other firm has less money and can hire fewer people, but you're also depriving the coders and their families from their well-earned portion of the cut. This destabilizes the gaming industry, causing smaller games because big firms have less money, causing quality to go straight into the poop chute.

And that's why I don't pirate.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 6:18 pm

No, most of the time developers get a flat rate, a contract, for making the game, and perhaps if that's lucrative get royalties on the title itself once it launches. When you buy a game, you're in effect refilling the publisher's coffers from paying off that contract plus some.

I don't condone piracy in most cases. If I have the money, I'll buy a game, but in this case in doing so one all but says 'I'm totally okay with that!' to what EA did with that title, and Maxon themselves, to a lesser extent (they're the ones who lied in the first place). That said, the rules prohibit this type of discussion. I sincerely hope that your purchase gives you many hours of entertainment.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ACH0225
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ACH0225 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:22 pm

It is already. And I do think what EA is doing is, partially, a good strategy. They want to please buyers, but they also have to pay their shareholders and employees. Their "evil empire" buying strategy is a very viable way to grow a company.

Anyways, GlassBox is sexy thing. It makes my eyes just explode.
mfw brony images
Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:44 pm

As I said it won't help. Enter the mind of that pirate - he comes to get this game for free, he is not going to put a buck for it . The maximum they can achieve is to make them download another title, very, very few of them will buy this game while on the other side even more people will loose interest in buying this game, I'm not even talking about the fact they will probably crack the game eventually ( A quick search yelled there is no crack for it yet but people try to get this game pirated ... I think it's just a question of time now). The problem with piracy is that if the company doesn't make the money it spent back it's gonna fire workers, that and also make less games and cheaper games.
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Tiel wrote:That said, the rules prohibit this type of discussion. I sincerely hope that your purchase gives you many hours of entertainment.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat May 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Post deleted. Further discussion in violation of former rules will result in points being allocated.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]