Cube World

Futurecraft community gaming.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
Cube World

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:05 am

very tired but was looking over piratebay and this game had thousands of seed for some reason and on further investigation looks eerily similar to a project launched way back in Minecraft beta.

best comparison is apparently RPG (as in real RPG, not the stuff Mojang tacks on) meets Minecraft. think the voxel is just for exploration but can't be sure if there are environment changing elements because the site is being DDOSed at the moment by someone which is very unfortunate but sure that it has nothing to do with the game being a highly seeded torrent..

it's also multiplayer apparently
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Pat22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Affiliation:Unity
IGN:Pat22 or something

Re: Cube World

Post by Pat22 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:08 am

Looks like minecraft, but with more RPG elements and much less building elements.
So really it's an RPG with minecraft's graphics.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:13 am

hesitation. the future is not always certain. but like the endless rivalry between partridge and goose cw seems to have much better graphics in voxelization maybe on the scale of what fr0st is try to do in shadows and shaders. still analogy warranted is as smacks of sloth of developer.

site is online but registration disabled which means the void touches all.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 am

Doesn't look like a rocket propelled grenade to me.
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Tau
Admin
Affiliation:Futureville Mafia
IGN:TehPwnzor7306

Post by Tau » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:55 am

Alluding to piracy, hmm?
Vinyl wrote:"RP" and gaming and homosexuality is what's keeping [the forum] afloat.

Prototype
Developer
Affiliation:NSCD
IGN:Currently:Small_Bear

Post by Prototype » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 am

Torrents are not always pirated
Spoiler:
Mistake Not... wrote: This isn't rocket science, *!

Spoiler:

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Affiliation:UTN

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 am

Yea it just happens that it is mostly used for it :tongue:
They're watching ... Image

"I am forbidden tag" -CvN

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Not against the rules at the moment so really could care less, especially when game is pretty much unobtanium given the site issues. (it is up now, but you can't register and thus can't buy)

So far it's rather...well, bland. I'm not sure what to do. Everything in the game world is out to kill you, and your attacks do absolute squat. So I harvested some pumpkins, sold them, but now I can't even wear the chestplate I bought nor the bombs. It's not like Minecraft where your auxiliary goal is always to build a shelter, collect resources, etc...there literally is no sort of direction in this game.

Which makes me so sad, because it's so much smoother, accessible, and graphically appealing. It is Alpha though, so...

:|

I don't know if it gets funner or even more mundane in multiplayer.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm

I guess cube world is a good idea on paper that doesn't work too well on real. See what makes you play Skyrim for example ? Well first of all there are quests that do give you direction but you can call "Screw it" on them and go explore, so what do you have to explore ? Skyrim offers quite a lot and most of the locations there are unique (I'm not talking about those generic dungeons but some of them do have some stuff in them) and reward you for exploration. In cube world once you've seen the possible generated stuff in the world you have no quests nor places to explore, also your interactions with the world are quite limited, mostly punching ...

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:38 pm

I agree, but Skyrim gets just as boring after a while, mods be damned.

I did figure out some stuff today, namely that you can climb and roll, as well as craft items, and that there's a rudimentary quest system - basically the game spawns a few locations each day that you can go to, dungeons, bosses, etc, but they are almost impossible to do by yourself.

I guess it's decent for what it is, but not much more than that. Might buy it when it's less...lacking in gameplay.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:32 am

Read a review that put things in perspective rather nicely.
kuehnauj wrote: I am just here to let people know, I bought the game even before this release came out.

Cube World is way over hyped, at it's best it's a very generic RPG with almost nothing else to do right now besides grinding for levels.

There is a clear lack of direction, support and design here. They have plans for the FUTURE to have more content, but as of right now, this game is pretty much crap.

I know it's Alpha (do I care?). It's still not that great of a game as is and around $20.00 USD, it's currently not worth the price.

All it is, is trying to leech off of the "cube-ism" fad of indie gaming right now and doesn't break any new boundaries in games in general.

Indie games do not "deserve" to be supported, they have to earn support and as far as I feel so far, this game lacks any reason to actually back the developers.
And what do we get in response to this?
Phoenicius wrote: Go f**k yourself you tasteless fool.
I guess some of the minecraft community seeped into the fandom of this game :P
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Iv121
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Iv121 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 am

If it is just random hype it will die out, as you see MC still lives, and that game will probably be forgotten.

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Lol, we have plans for the future, too. I can't imagine how let down people are going to be the first time they see FC and think "is that it?"

Minecraft made popular the model of releasing early incomplete builds for supporters, so I don't know why people would be expecting a finished product if they weren't promised one.

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Not really. The selling point of both is the procedurally generated voxel terrain system; without it Minecraft is just a buggy building plaything with monsters in the mix, and Cubeworld is just, well, an RPG. And that's where it falls short right now - you can explore, and you can grind. That's it. If you find those key aspects of the game pleasurable, by all means spend twenty bucks on it. I'd love it if there was actually a point to it all, some sort of driving goal, but instead it's an Elder Scrolls game sans quests and any sort of intuitive leveling system. One could say Minecraft has the same lack of ultimate goal, but that's rectified to an extent by mods (which Cubeworld's creator is apparently staunchly opposed to) and multiplayer - which in CW essentially means, well, nothing. You can't PVP, to my knowledge, and dungeoning together essentially amounts to taking turns shooting a monster while its puny head tracks that level 250 jerk who got all his xp in singleplayer.

Granted, it is in Alpha, but I find it difficult to call the game 'fun'. It's anything but, just tediously killing monsters for no distinct purpose (yes, yes, hypocracy, but at least in MC you're getting EXP to use in enchanting, etc, instead of an extremely limited skill tree) and getting bored out of one's skull with the terrain. But, again, the site is up again, and chances are new features will be added in soon.

edit: screw your edits
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

fr0stbyte124
Developer
Affiliation:Aye-Aye

Post by fr0stbyte124 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:01 pm

HAHAHA people will think you are crazy now.