This game.

All about the persistent, free-to-play MMOFPS.
Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC
This game.

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 pm

I don't get the point of it. It's the same thing all the time. You have sparse skirmishes over the same copypasta structures scattered across the map with all-but identical sides until the one with a numerical advantage organizes and zerg rushes until everyone else is deaded. There's no strategy here, just mindlessly rushing the enemy and hoping you get some kills or cap a goal in the process.

And to what end? To qualify to get some items that may or may not let you do the same thing more effectively? COD does the same thing and is relatively enjoyable, but the nature of PS2's open-world combat seems to just make the tedium more apparent.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Error
Affiliation:CNI
IGN:FC_Rangefinder

Re: This game.

Post by Error » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Then don't play it.

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore
Affiliation:Kzinti Empire

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm

This is going to change dramatically in the relatively near future. Their goal with PS2 was basically to release it and then bring it gradually more in-line with what PS1 was over the course of the next few years. Check out the 'Resource Revamp' and 'Continental Lattice' (not sure of the name of the second one) threads in the Roadmap on the forums. Those are what you're looking for, and they're coming in the next couple of months. They need to get Hossin and the Battle Islands for the Continental Lattice, and then the resource revamp is after that.
;.'.;'::.;:".":;",,;':",;

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Chairman_Tiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Affiliation:GLORIOUS REPUBLIC

Post by Chairman_Tiel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Any character wipes announced?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 pm

No. They've talked about adding an item (bought with Station Cash, of course) to reset your K/D, and a lot of people want a cert reset item, but the entire community would absolutely lose their shit if SOE tried to do a global character wipe. This would be true in any MMO. They might have gotten away with it in Beta, but never now that it's actually been released. If you want to wipe your character, you have to make a new one. If you've got more spaces on the same account, you can even keep the stuff you bought with SC.

(Kzinti script, as best as can be displayed in Human characters, translated roughly as "For the Patriarchy!")

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:25 pm

I agree, I really hope somebody does the MMOFPS right soon. PS2 was an amazing step in the right direction, but we aren't there yet.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -

 ҉ 
Commodore
Commodore

Post by  ҉  » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Keon wrote:I agree, I really hope somebody does the MMOFPS right soon. PS2 was an amazing step in the right direction, but we aren't there yet.
There are so few of them that there hasn't been much time to innovate. There are enough MMOs and FPSs that anyone looking to make a new one has loads of examples to look at and see what works and what doesn't, but MMOFPSs? There's Planetside, and World War 2 Online? And I think those are the only ones I know of. The technical limitations are responsible for a lot of stuff, too, though. We're told that the reason we don't have doors, opening windows, security cameras, or any number of other awesome base design features is that those nuke performance, and PS2 is barely scraping by as it is.

Keon
Developer
Affiliation:Inactive
IGN:ducky215

Post by Keon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:06 am

Mistake Not... wrote:
Keon wrote:I agree, I really hope somebody does the MMOFPS right soon. PS2 was an amazing step in the right direction, but we aren't there yet.
There are so few of them that there hasn't been much time to innovate. There are enough MMOs and FPSs that anyone looking to make a new one has loads of examples to look at and see what works and what doesn't, but MMOFPSs? There's Planetside, and World War 2 Online? And I think those are the only ones I know of. The technical limitations are responsible for a lot of stuff, too, though. We're told that the reason we don't have doors, opening windows, security cameras, or any number of other awesome base design features is that those nuke performance, and PS2 is barely scraping by as it is.
Exactly. The future could be amazing.
- I can be reached as ducky215 on minecraft forums -